It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question Deep sea anchovy and sardine body oils versus "wild" fish?

Hi,
I currently take fish oil that contains deep sea anchovy and sardine body oils. Is coldwater or wild (I think wild like tuna, mackeral, salmon, herring etc.) fish oil a better source of omega 3? Or is taking this fish oil with anchovy and sardine contribute to the same benefits as if I would take fish oil with coldwater or wild fish?

Last edited by Jess75; 09-29-2004 at 10:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Deep sea anchovy and sardine body oils versus "wild" fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hi,
I currently take fish oil that contains deep sea anchovy and sardine body oils. Is coldwater or wild (I think wild like tuna, mackeral, salmon, herring etc.) fish oil a better source of omega 3? Or is taking this fish oil with anchovy and sardine contribute to the same benefits as if I would take fish oil with coldwater or wild fish?
I'm a little confused. Bare with me! Herring and Anchovy are fatty cold water deep sea fish, to my knowledge (I better know I work with fish!) They are closely related - think of them as 'cousins'. I'm pretty sure your herring and anchovy oil is wild; not too many herring farms, relative to salmon / tuna, I believe. Herring and anchovy are small fish, so they are actually prefered - smaller fish have less chance of containing mercury.

You're basically taking the best possible fish oil - the only thing higher in EFAs is seal oil and unless you live in Newfoundland it's pretty hard to get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cool
Cause I thought that the anchovy and sardines were a lower quality fish so to speak, in association with omega 3. A friend and I buy the same fish oil, "Health From the Sun" and she said "Did you see the commercial on tv for the fish oil made from "wild" (I think she said wild) fish?" She also said, "It's a little more expensive, but the wilder fish's oils are better quality than anchovies and sardines. It's a little more expensive but worth it." That's what she said. I'm guessing it was Dr. Barry Sears cause I seen a few clips of it, but I'm not sure. I'll have to do a little research on what the difference is in his fish oil formula compared to "Health From the Sun" which is molecullarly distilled. DO you know the difference? Thanks alot for the reply!

Last edited by Jess75; 09-29-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Sounds like it might be Dr. Sears. Or Udo Erasmus. The Omega 3 is found in the fish because of what they eat, particularly in the smaller fish (herring, anchovies) and its in the bigger fish (tuna, salmon, makarel) because they eat the smaller fish. And it's in the seals because they eat... yep, you guessed it, the bigger fish The food chain in action.

Nat

Old 09-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Sounds like it might be Dr. Sears. Or Udo Erasmus. The Omega 3 is found in the fish because of what they eat, particularly in the smaller fish (herring, anchovies) and its in the bigger fish (tuna, salmon, makarel) because they eat the smaller fish. And it's in the seals because they eat... yep, you guessed it, the bigger fish The food chain in action.

Nat
Thanks alot!

Old 09-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #6

thescaredest HB User

To eat the food where you are getting the vitamins, nutrients, is always best from my knowledge. And then if you are not getting enough then take the supplement.

Remember that canned tuna has a lot of mercury in it and it is advised to eat it only once a month.

Also, with fish it really is good to eat it about 3 times a week or so. And if you do eat it, it is best to get wild, not farm raised.

When taking fish oils break open a capsule to see how it smells. SOunds weird but if it smells foul you don't want to take that. Look at the ingrediants to see what is in your fish oil caplet.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

If you take the oil by the teaspoon, you can detect ranciidity immediately. I like my hit of cod liver oil every day and save the caps for vacation (bottle is always a slippery messy affair you DON'T want in a suitcase.

Sardines and anchovies are a great choice for Omega-3's...and what can be easier than a can of sardines for lunch?
(Watch the salt in the anchovies!)

Old 10-01-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Inactive

zip2play HB User

If you take the oil by the teaspoon, you can detect ranciidity immediately. I like my hit of cod liver oil every day(always refrigerated) and save the caps for vacation (bottle is always a slippery messy affair you DON'T want in a suitcase.

Sardines and anchovies are a great choice for Omega-3's...and what can be easier than a can of sardines for lunch?
(Watch the salt in the anchovies!)

Closed Thread