It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
what are the side effects of not drinking enough water?

I have a REALLY hard time getting 24oz of water down me and I was wondering what some of the side effects are. Do you think a metallic taste would be one of them?

Old 09-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: what are the side effects of not drinking enough water?

There are no real side effects from not drinking the recommended amount. If you are drinking (anything) properly (ie/ at each meal, and then some) then you should be fine. Of course, if you are exercising you should try to have more liquid then, but you really shouldnt be VERY concerned if you dont get a lot of water in.

Some "side effects" I suppose could be constipation, if you are eating a lot of fibre, and dehydration, if you are a) exercising a lot or b) not drinking ANYTHING else. But overall, it is BEST to have the recommended amount, but not much will happen if you dont..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

Jogaholic HB User

24 ounces is not very much water..have you tried Fruit2O or Propel, or do you like making hot tea? Those are all sources of water with added flavoring, which definately makes lots of water easier to drink. I can chug a Propel in about two minutes, and that's already about 16 ounces. You will become dehydrated if you're not drinking any water - signs of dehydration are thirst (means your body is already slightly dehyrated), headaches, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, etc. Water is the best liquid for you for various reasons, so make yourself drink up - especially if you exercise.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogaholic
24 ounces is not very much water..have you tried Fruit2O or Propel, or do you like making hot tea? Those are all sources of water with added flavoring, which definately makes lots of water easier to drink. I can chug a Propel in about two minutes, and that's already about 16 ounces. You will become dehydrated if you're not drinking any water - signs of dehydration are thirst (means your body is already slightly dehyrated), headaches, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, etc. Water is the best liquid for you for various reasons, so make yourself drink up - especially if you exercise.
Does drinking hot tea count as water? This may be a dumb question, but I never included it to be my water intake. hmm, let me know.

Last edited by Jess75; 09-30-2004 at 04:23 AM.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:19 AM   #5

Tweets HB User

Yes-- Hottea can be included with your water!

Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

singer,

For real, you have only 24 ounces of water in a DAY??? Or do you mean it's hard to drink it in one sitting?...it IS!

Sure, count everything that includes water (pretty much every liquid food but oil and alcohol.)
And there's plenty of water in fruit.

Personally I think I couldn't survive on just 24 ounces.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I love Fruit2O. You could always put a wedge of lemon in your water to give it some flavoring too.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #8

JasmineFlower HB User
Post Re: what are the side effects of not drinking enough water?

did you mean to say it is hard drinking 64 oz. of water? Because that's the daily amount you are supposed to get every day, not 24 oz. I know that if you are trying to lose weight, drinking the full amount of water every day (64 oz.) is key to weight loss. I don't know why this is so, but I have seen the difference between when I drink and don't drink water when I am trying to lose weight, and the weight comes off faster when I do drink water.

Closed Thread