It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 08:36 AM   #1

freakin123 HB User
What are the rules for eggs?

I'm a huge consumer of eggs and I eat about 2 almost daily. I know it's full of protein and is one of the best foods out there, but I also know it's a major cholesterol source.

I'm not really a low-carboholic, so I don't eat too much meat and therefore do not consume cholesterol other than through eggs and milk. Since the recommended cholesterol intake is 300 mg per day, I figure I don't really exceed it, but I'm just worried in case I'm wrong and am killing myself without my knowing it. Should I continue to eat eggs daily or what?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: What are the rules for eggs?

Dietary cholesterol has minimal impact on endogenous (the stuff your body makes) cholesterol. There are people who eat a lot of cholesterol containing foods with low cholesterol levels; just as there are people who eat very little cholesterol who have very high cholesterol levels.

Eggs are a great food; antioxidants, vitamin and minerals, all found only in the yolk, btw.

If you're worried about your cholesterol levels have them checked, but keep in mind that high cholesterol in and of itself does not mean you're going to develop CVD. It is a risk factor that needs to be viewed in conjunction with other factors in your lifestyle. You could have a high total cholesterol due to a naturally high amount of HDL which is actually preventative of heart disease.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Depends on whose rules you decide to follow. Even an extremely fat-phobic M.D. I know says one a day is fine. Others still on the conservative side say they are not TERRIBLY uncomfortable with a dozen a week. Then, those on the "fat is not the enemy" camp, say 2 to 3 a day is no problem, and even desirable for most.

Besides the dietary versus blood cholesterol business already mentione . . . eggs do indeed have a very high level of cholesterol, but they also have a high level of lecithin, which is a fat emulsifier, and thus balances the cholesterol (isn't nature great?).

Old 09-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

freakin,

Eggs are a good food and I agree that the scare that they contained dreaded cholesterol has pretty much been shown to be very first approximation knowledge.

Using moderation as a general rule I'd say 4 eggs a week is fine, maybe a dozen is over the top and a 4 dozen a week might be NUTS (I say this because I know an unimaginative low-carbber who actually DID THIS long term.)

Last edited by zip2play; 09-30-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #5

thescaredest HB User

Eat eggs that are organic and are "gold eggs". These chicken are feed nutrients with the Omega-3 and lots of vitamin E. These eggs are great and you can find them pretty much at any grocery store. They have so many more important nutrients for you.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:22 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Scaredest,

As long as the word "organic" mean double or triple the price, it's strictly out of my vocabulary!

Old 10-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Eggs are good for you if they do not cause you a problem, however be careful about eating the same food day in day out.
Eggs in particular can cause a problem if eaten too much.
I used to eat eggs every day for about a year for breakfast and my body started to react badly to them, now if I eat a little I am sick.
I had no problem with them before. I can however tolerate them in foods

Old 10-01-2004, 01:00 PM   #8
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Leanne,

I agree,
The best way to develop an allergy to a food is to eat the same thing day in and day out!

Old 10-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #9

thescaredest HB User

Zip,

Orgnanic may mean more money but isn't your health worth it? Don't you think that the spending a little bit more is worth your health or your families? They are gold cirlce eggs and they cost not more than a dollar more.

The closer you eat food to how it was in the ground makes it healthier. If you are eating an animal or what comes from an animal what they eat plays a big role.

Closed Thread