It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
Healthy Eating

Hi everyone!

I've recently just moved into my own home and no longer can steal junk food from my roommate. I want to start eating healthier but I don't know where to begin (I'm not a good cook anyway lol). I've cut way way way back on things such as doritos and chocolate. What are some good healthy dinners (and snacks) that are quick to make? I don't eat a lot of meat but I like fish and chicken. I also hate vegetables but I'd like to be able to incorporate it into my diet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #2

thescaredest HB User
Re: Healthy Eating

Some snack suggestions:
-apples with peanut butter
-fruit of any kind
-hummus (with cuccumbers or celery is pretty good--you can get flavored hummus)
-cheese (string cheese is a great pack)
-nuts, nuts, nuts!!!
-dried fruit
-yogart (can add gronola or fruit in it too!-dont' get the one with the fruit in the bottom...way too much sugar)

Meals-
-lean cuts of meat (chicken turkey)
-fish (very good for you but get wild fish)
-whole wheat rice/wild rice
-steamed veggies (I do squash and zuccini for some reason the remind me of fruit)
-sometimes if you mix the veggies in with your meat/fish then you are as focused in on them. Like lettuce wraps...then mix chicken with a great sauce and some veggies.
--small roman, spinach salads...they are good for you and are a great side to any meal.

If I were you and it is possible eliminate all soda and as much juice as you can too. Enriched flour is the worst...read labels to help you pick healthy snacks. The first few weeks trying to eat new things is always the hardest but it gets easier and then you get to the point of no longer wanting junk food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

thescaredest,

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Actually, when I said I hated vegetables, I didn't mention that I love zucchini and eggplant. I love hummus so that's a great snack suggestion and also the string cheese. I'm going to have to start compiling a list of everything.

I hardly drink soda anymore and don't really like juices, so that's no problem there. I've tried eating healthier before but it's hard when you're living with a bunch of people who have a variety of food around that's mainly not that great for you. Now that I'm on my own, I thought it was a perfect time to start.

Last edited by BostonGirl44; 09-30-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

The best way to eat healthier is to avoid foods that are prepackaged or preserved. You want to eat whole, natural foods that are as close to how they are found in nature; this way you get all the vitamins and minerals and no added junk like sodium or sugar. If you do all your grocery shopping around the outter aisles of the grocery store you're well on your way to eating like this - the outter area is where you find the fresh produce, the meats, fish and fowl and the dairy.

Nat

Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

lol..when i go shopping i go to the fruits & veggies and, fresh meats..and, the dairy..the rest of the stuff is all crap..hmmm lets see forgot about the beans and, lentils and, chick peas..lol

for my cereal grains they are all rice or corn based..BACUZ WHITE FLOUR is JuNk..lol soory i had to let it out..this stuff is killing people..im serious

oh yeah i also get some granita..mmm yum..

i get more stuff but, only at health food stores..

bye

Closed Thread