It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 01:14 AM   #1

okguy1 HB User
Turning into Vegetarian, need help

im used to eating meat products so im lost as to what exactly vegetarian meals consist of.

is it salads all the time? will that give me enough energy? also, im sure that the body needs things vegetables cant provide. do you simply take vitamins for the missing stuff?

if you are a veggie please tell me what you eat and how you sustain yourself.

thank you in advance.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:22 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Turning into Vegetarian, need help

I'm not a vegetarian but know HOW to be, I just lack the WILL!

What is crucially important is that you get enough protein. If you are vegan (completely vegetable sources) you must make sure that your protein bneeds are met and this is UNIVERSALLY done with legumes (beans, peas, and lentils). The soy bean and it's use as a meat substitute is ubiquitous in such a diet from the beans themselves (delicious roasted like peanuts) , through versatile tofu through all the meat substitutes made from textured protein.
A second consideration is taking a B-vitamin because B-12 is always short in vegetable sources.

If you are allowing eggs or milk (lacto-ovo vegetarian) you can get your protein needs met more easily than with beans at every meal- lots of cooking with cheeses.
Those who choose to eat fish have a very easy time of it, but that's only vegetarian in name.

(I've known someone who even added turkey and chicken, and STILL condsiders herself vegetarian. I will jokingly ask whether she's planted her turkey seeds yet this season...she doesn't like my joke))

Last edited by zip2play; 10-03-2004 at 03:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 06:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Zip. I liked it! LOL

Mudhound

Old 10-03-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
(female)

gems622 HB User

I'm a vegetarian and can say that I am so happy that I made that decision. I feel better and eat a lot healthier. It can be hard in the beginning, so be prepared for feelings of wanting to go back to eating meat during the first week or two. It gets easier, I promise!!

As for food, try eating soy products. You can still eat dairy if you're lacto or lacto-ovo vegetarian, but soy products like tofu, edamame, and soymilk all have nutrients that vegetarians need. Some soy products are fortified with B12 and other vitamins that vegetarians sometimes don't get enough of. Oh, and soy foods are really really yummy!!

Also try going to a health food store and looking around at all of the products they have. Stores like Wild Oats, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods carry TONS of vegetarian foods that are sometimes really cheap. Your best bet though is the big bins of bulk foods. You can buy dried beans, pasta, spices, rice, couscous, and lots of other stuff for practically nothing.

Start giving new foods a try. Buy a package of tofu, marinade it for a few hours, and then grill it, bake it, fry it.. whatever!! TVP is a wonderful alternative to ground beef. Just rehydrate it in boiling water and flavor it and then use it like you would use ground beef - in casseroles, tacos, sloppy joes, etc. Try buying some different types of grains too. Bulghar, couscous, Quinoa, etc.

After you learn about all of the new food options you have, you can start thinking up yummy, creative meals. There are tons of recipe websites that have vegetarian recipes and lots of websites dedicated to vegetarianism. I suggest reading as much as you can about it so you're well informed. A good place for support is www.veggieboards.com. Everyone there is so helpful and friendly.

Hope I've helped you. Good luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to gems622 For This Useful Post:
MsTeaTime (12-08-2011)
Old 10-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #5

okguy1 HB User

thanks ill try it. also, what would you say to coffee and a bagel for breakfast? is that ok?

Old 10-04-2004, 05:45 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

okguy,
Perfectly fine unless your bagel barks at you...no wait, I'm thinking of a BEAGLE.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
(female)

crazy4veggies HB User

All of the above advice is great, especially getting the right amount of protein from beans, lentils, etc. I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years now, and one of the most important things is variety. Don't get stuck eating the same things day after day, that's why a lot of people give up on the veggie lifestyle i think. There are tons of great veggie friendly frozen products I enjoy, from sausage and bacon veggie style to whole veggie meals like sweet and sour veggie pork. I especially love the boca italian veggie sausages. Once you make the decision to go veggie, the first six months are the hardest. But stay focused, and you'll do fine. Good luck!!!

Old 10-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #8

candyapple7 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Turning into Vegetarian, need help

October the first I have became a vegetarian, getting poultry out of my diets, I would like know some selections of veggie meats. I still eat eggs, and dairy,yogurt,fat free cheese, no milk.

Last edited by candyapple7; 10-04-2004 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:24 PM   #9

candyapple7 HB User

Any body trying the low carb Veggie diet, any suggestions.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #10

llamamuffinmama HB User

Hi.

There's definitely more to it than salad and veggies! And no, all your protein doesn't have to come from beans & legumes, unless you particularly love those things (I don't and I'm vegan and have no problem whatsoever).

If you're used to eating meat, I agree why not try some of the vegetarian meat analogues? They taste great (most anyway) and are high in protein and nutrients. Incidentally, they're also low in carbohydrates if you watch that stuff (I don't, but candyapple and others might be interested).

Some of my favorites are:

From Gardenburger: Riblets, Sweet 'n Sour Pork, Meatloaf, Citrus Glazed Chik'n, Southwestern Chicken & Vegetables, Breakfast Sausage Patties, Garden Vegan Burgers

From Morningstar Farms: Grillers Crumbles (use like ground beef), Better'n Burgers

From Yves: Deli Slices (turkey, ham, bologna, salami styles), Veggie Dogs, Canadian Veggie Bacon, Veggie Breakfast Links, Veggie Breakfast (sausage) Patties, Pepperoni, etc.

From Boca: Boca (original) Burgers & Boca Crumbles

From Lightlife: Smart Deli "meats" including pastrami, turkey, ham, bologna, pepperoni..., Smart Bacon, Fakin' Bacon strips, Gimme Lean Sausage, Smart Dogs

From Health is Wealth: Chicken free patties, chicken free nuggets, chicken free fingers, chicken free buffalo wings.

From White Wave: Chicken Style Meat of Wheat (seitan)

Turtle Island: Tofurkey roast and tofurkey slices (several styles), Beer Brats, Sweet Italian Sausage, and Kielbasa.

Now & Zen: Unturkey

Field Roast: vegan grain meat celebration roast & slices in assorted flavors

Also, Baco's are totally vegetarian! So sprinkle them on your veggies if you want!

Hope this helps. I'm sure I forgot a ton of tasty things.

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 10-05-2004 at 08:50 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to llamamuffinmama For This Useful Post:
MsTeaTime (12-08-2011)
Old 10-06-2004, 04:55 AM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamamuffinmama
Hi.

There's definitely more to it than salad and veggies! And no, all your protein doesn't have to come from beans & legumes, unless you particularly love those things (I don't and I'm vegan and have no problem whatsoever).

If you're used to eating meat, I agree why not try some of the vegetarian meat analogues? They taste great (most anyway) and are high in protein and nutrients. Incidentally, they're also low in carbohydrates if you watch that stuff (I don't, but candyapple and others might be interested).

Some of my favorites are:

From Gardenburger: Riblets, Sweet 'n Sour Pork, Meatloaf, Citrus Glazed Chik'n, Southwestern Chicken & Vegetables, Breakfast Sausage Patties, Garden Vegan Burgers

From Morningstar Farms: Grillers Crumbles (use like ground beef), Better'n Burgers

From Yves: Deli Slices (turkey, ham, bologna, salami styles), Veggie Dogs, Canadian Veggie Bacon, Veggie Breakfast Links, Veggie Breakfast (sausage) Patties, Pepperoni, etc.

From Boca: Boca (original) Burgers & Boca Crumbles

From Lightlife: Smart Deli "meats" including pastrami, turkey, ham, bologna, pepperoni..., Smart Bacon, Fakin' Bacon strips, Gimme Lean Sausage, Smart Dogs

From Health is Wealth: Chicken free patties, chicken free nuggets, chicken free fingers, chicken free buffalo wings.

From White Wave: Chicken Style Meat of Wheat (seitan)

Turtle Island: Tofurkey roast and tofurkey slices (several styles), Beer Brats, Sweet Italian Sausage, and Kielbasa.

Now & Zen: Unturkey

Field Roast: vegan grain meat celebration roast & slices in assorted flavors

Also, Baco's are totally vegetarian! So sprinkle them on your veggies if you want!

Hope this helps. I'm sure I forgot a ton of tasty things.
muffinmama,

Guess what, all the stuff you're recommending IS made from beans (soy protein!)...Surprise!
Yes you DO have to eat beans and legumes on a healthy vegetarian diet. You get to choose only the degree of processing.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #12

llamamuffinmama HB User

some of it is made from wheat protein (gluten) as well, and some from mushrooms, in addition to soy protein. and if you really wanted to avoid beans at all costs, you could. wheat gluten/seitan, nuts, and seeds, (nut butters, and seed butters, too), plus the naturally occuring proteins in other vegetable sources and whole grains can provide you with plenty. but if you like beans, they're a great way to go, too!

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 10-06-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
(female)

cricketchicket HB User
Thumbs up Re: Turning into Vegetarian, need help

Hi there,
I have been "quasi" vegetarian for about 9 months, now...and "quasi" vegan for approx. 1 or 2 months. I say quasi as I don't eat meat for the reason that there are so many toxins and hormones in animal products, therefore do not buy them, although I am not opposed to eating ~some~ organic meat/fish products. And only sometimes. I do not generally buy organic meat, though, as it is expensive, therefore I stay away from meat and animal products about 95% of the time. I do not consume any dairy products as they give me hives and rashes... Anyway, I find there are plenty of ways to incorporate protein and other valuable vitamins and minerals into your diet. Nuts are a great source of vitamins and minerals, in moderation, of course. I ate plenty of fruits and vegetables, grains such as rice, corn and potato (as I have Celiac Disease and avoid most grain products with gluten in them), although I do think I have a mild allergy to corn, as well...so try to stay away from that for the most part. I makes lots of neat recipes that are free of any animal products, you just have to research it a bit and be creative i nthe kitchen. I try to stay with whole foods, and generally do not buy "fake" meats from soy, etc as I feel that they are made with so many preservatives, anyway (besides the fact that they usually contain gluten fillers). I make nut burgers, rice dishes, bean dishes, pasta with veggies and vegan sauces, lots of stuff. I have prob. lost a bit of weight from this, but nothing substantial...so you will find that you are still nurished if you are eating a well-balanced vegetarian diet. I feel great eating vegetarian most of the time...my skin is free of rashes and blemishes, and I feel alert and have energy. I also supplement my diet with yeast-free B-complex vitamins, iron, and a Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D supplement. I also take an Omega 3 supplement everyday.

Good luck

Old 10-16-2004, 06:49 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey cricket.. long time no hear..is everything ok..???

Old 10-17-2004, 04:14 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by okguy1
thanks ill try it. also, what would you say to coffee and a bagel for breakfast? is that ok?
To answer your question, I don't think this is a healthy breakfast. You need to incorporate protein with EVERY meal you eat - living on carb-heavy meals is not ideal. It's also very hard to find Bagels that are not filled with junk ingredients (chemicals, additives, sugar, etc) unless you are buying them from a health food store or bakery.

I recommend that you check out "Amy's" brand of vegetarian foods. They have a FABULOUS breakfast burritto (can be eaten any meal!), garden veggie burgers, and wonderful soups (my favorite is "no-chicken noodle soup"!).

I recommend that you consider buying higher quality foods - read labels and avoid foods loaded with chemical additives and preservatives. For example, compare the ingredients of a Boca-Burger to an Amy's Garden Burger. This may cost you a little more, but since you are not buying meat, your grocery bill will probably not change drastically.

Closed Thread