It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #1

candyapple7 HB User
Thumbs up low carb foods!!

I am a Vegetarian, but I could eat the veggie meats , etc. any suggestions, what gram a day would you suggest, what ever meat you use, I can use veggie, so any feedback would be appreciated., even though you are not a veggie.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #2

thescaredest HB User
Re: low carb foods!!

Hi!

I am a vegitarian too. Before I found out I was allergic to soy I used to love to eat Gardenburger veggie burgers. Both original and sun-dried tomato. I ate a lot of fish, low fat to reduced fat cheese, eggs (I am guessing you are not a vegan by giving you these suggestions), nuts, nutter butters on fruits and veggies, yogart with gronola and fruit. Do you like tofu? There are a lot of things you can do with tofu....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 AM   #3

candyapple7 HB User
Smile Re: low carb foods!!

yes I do the Chinese Restaurant has a dish I like with tufu, but personally I don't know how to fix it, by the way I started my low carb vegetarian plan today, as of Oct. 1st, I just was getting use to eliminating chicken out of my diet. Are you doing low carb veggie style , I am between 60-100 carb, would like to get between 20-30 for weight loss purposes.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #4

thescaredest HB User

Hi Candy!

In May I began the South Beach Diet but of course only ate the veggie and tofu. The recipe book in there is really great for meals. Basically tofu takes on whatever flavoring you make it with. But now that I found out I am allergic to soy...I am on a special diet (I am working with a nutrionist). I would suggest you buy the book for a guide. The book gives you tips on how to eat, what types of food to eat, and a plan. That way you are still getting proper meals and snacks when trying to diet. I don't really count carbs, calories, fat...I just look at the labels. I make sure I am getting good fats, protien, fiber, and vitamens. I would also be doing some sort of physical activity if I were you as well.

It is important to eat whole grains too. I know that you want to go low carb but grains are important. Just stay away from enriched flour, white flour. But the South beach book gives you what foods have a lot of carbs and sugar.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescaredest
. . . But now that I found out I am allergic to soy . . .
It is important to eat whole grains too. I know that you want to go low carb but grains are important.
There is nothing like eating something all the time to develop an allergy. I had the same experience with soy, but after laying off it for a while (don't remember . . . 6 months? a year?) I can do tempeh and miso and soy sauce. Maybe the same would happen with you.

But I disagree about grains (particularly wheat . . . which shows up everywhere). They are much over-rated in my opinion and certainly don't warrant being at the base of a food pyramid. While they are relatively high in some of the B vitamins, it is not terribly difficult to get recommended doses by eating much more nutritionally dense and beneficial vegetables. Grains do not provide anything you can not get elsewhere.

Closed Thread