It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question My professor said that if one is a high carb eater, not much water is needed....

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone heard of such a thing. I am currently taking a Microbiology class and my professor went over the Krebs cycle, and he said once the carbohydrates are broken down (hydrolysis), water is released as the end product(long story short), and he said "If you eat a high carb diet, you can get away with one glass of water a day." He also said, "All those people who tell you that you need alot of water a day are crazy!" And Gopher, what do you think!

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention about vitamins. He also teaches a nutrition course and says that most americans do not need a multi vitamin, that people are crazy and it's a big money scam! He said our RDA of vitamins are smaller than we think!

Last edited by Jess75; 10-10-2004 at 02:56 PM.

Old 10-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: My professor said that if one is a high carb eater, not much water is needed....

hi jess...i don't believe that, water is very good for you and, we can drink lots of it everyday...my diet is pretty well balanced and, some days ill maybe eat more carbs..i still drink plenty of wawa..lol..Drinking wawa is a great habit..beats those old rotten habits I had

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: My professor said that if one is a high carb eater, not much water is needed....

I guess that makes sense from a scientific point of view: when you eat more carbs, you retain water and so your cells, therefore, have enough water to function with. However, I still think that water does wonders for flushing away toxins and keeping you healthy, so if you eat a lot of carbs, don't push the water aside. Keep it comin'.

Old 10-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

sugar_babygirli HB User

Oh WOW that is really interesting! I was just thinking about this the other day.

I've been a carb "addict" all my life and hardly ever have much protein. I can live on pizza, cereal, and bread, but also have never been one to drink alot of water (and I don't sweat much either). I usually drink around 4 glasses (if that!) a day and my pee is always very light colored and doesn't smell. I'm never thirsty and actually have to force myself to drink during a meal.

Very interesting.....

Old 10-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_babygirli
Oh WOW that is really interesting! I was just thinking about this the other day.

I've been a carb "addict" all my life and hardly ever have much protein. I can live on pizza, cereal, and bread, but also have never been one to drink alot of water (and I don't sweat much either). I usually drink around 4 glasses (if that!) a day and my pee is always very light colored and doesn't smell. I'm never thirsty and actually have to force myself to drink during a meal.

Very interesting.....
I'm a moderate carbohydrate eater and can relate! I have to force myself to drink water. I won't quit drinking water, although I don't drink 8 glasses anyway, maybe 4-6 if that!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Jessica,

Your professor is a doof!
Any food that is burned, whether protein, carbohydrate or fat is basically a mix of carbon and hydrogen...both provide fuel and the product of carbon combustion is CO2, hydrogen combustion yields H20.
There is nothing special about a high carb diet that provides appreciably more water from burning hydrogen than any other food.
Burning 1000 calories of carbs is burning about 250 grams of carbohydrates and the hydrogen will convert to perhaps a cupful of water max!

Ask him to show the class how long he can go on drinking one glass of water a day...bet he's gone LONG before Thanksgiving...R.I.P.

Last edited by zip2play; 10-10-2004 at 07:44 PM.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I agree with Zip2--- Your body is 70% water and just to be healthy -- you need to drink water -- carbs or no carbs. I have never read where drink a little water and eating high carbs is healthy??

Old 10-10-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree with all of you! He has been teaching for 40 years and it strikes me as very odd.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone heard of such a thing. I am currently taking a Microbiology class and my professor went over the Krebs cycle, and he said once the carbohydrates are broken down (hydrolysis), water is released as the end product(long story short), and he said "If you eat a high carb diet, you can get away with one glass of water a day." He also said, "All those people who tell you that you need alot of water a day are crazy!" And Gopher, what do you think!
Hi Jess. I think what your prof was refering to has to do with the nature of carbs and how they attract water. Every gram of carb will attract 3-4 grams of water - this is why, when you cut refined carbs out of your diet you lose so much water weight initially. Carbs are stored as glycogen in the liver and in the muscles, the body can store about 700grams this way (give or take). So that means that 700g of carbs x 3 g of water are 2100g of water, 2.1 kg almost 5 lbs.

Water is less important (i.e. vital) when eating high carb than when eating lower carb and eating more protein, but getting by on one glass a day? I think not!

Nat

Old 10-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Hi Jess. I think what your prof was refering to has to do with the nature of carbs and how they attract water. Every gram of carb will attract 3-4 grams of water - this is why, when you cut refined carbs out of your diet you lose so much water weight initially. Carbs are stored as glycogen in the liver and in the muscles, the body can store about 700grams this way (give or take). So that means that 700g of carbs x 3 g of water are 2100g of water, 2.1 kg almost 5 lbs.

Water is less important (i.e. vital) when eating high carb than when eating lower carb and eating more protein, but getting by on one glass a day? I think not!

Nat
That kind of shocked me, thanks!

Closed Thread