It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
(male)

sam061 HB User
Soy Milk, and Soy Flour

Does anyone know the Vit. K content of Soy Milk and Soy Flour? I am on a blood thinner and want to use these two products.

Also, when it comes to lean meat the butcher told me Filet mignon (sp) is the leanest cut of beef. I always thought round and sirlion steak was. I don't eat red meat very often, but if the filet is leaner I might have it a couple of times a month.

One other comment. I substitue ground venison and ostrich for beef. I really enjoy it. We have a store that carries it, but it also can be ordered off the internet. - sam

Old 10-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #2

Exile HB User
Re: Soy Milk, and Soy Flour

about the filet comment... im no meat expert, but i was under the impression that the reason that filet mignon was so good wasnt because it was low in fat, but because the fat is marbled thorough out the meat the best, keeping it tender and juicy. in other words, there are not chunks of fat, but rather fat all through out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
(male)

sam061 HB User

It wasn't explained to me as such by two different butchers, but I think you are correct. Something has to make it tender and the only thing to do that is fat. And to think I ate one last night. Good, but not good for me. Thanks for a logical response. -sam

Last edited by sam061; 10-10-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

A filet has little if any marbling fat in it - just look at one in the butcher's meat case. The reason a filet is tender is because of the type of muscle it is. This muscle is on the inner cavity side of the back bone and gets used very little. It is the texture and type of muscle that makes the filet tender, and I would have to agree that filet is one of the leaner cuts of beef. It is the only type of steak my girlfriend will eat because it is tender and has little if any fat. She always trims any visible fat and gives it to me. Give me a T-bone or Porterhouse (one side of this is the filet) or New York strip or Ribeye because I like the fat and think it improves the flavor of the meat.

How did a thread titled "Soy..." get onto beef filets? Not much interest in soy I guess. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:07 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

No, the reason a filet mignon is tender is because it is VERY well marbled with a lot of fat that is VERY finely disbursed.

A piece of $$PRIME$$ filet mignon trimmed to 1/8" fat contains 65% of its calories as fat.
Even a tougher piece of CHOICE grade trimmed to ZERO visible fat contains 48% its calories as fat.

(USDA doesn't even bother to list a PRIME cut completely stripped of all visible fat because at $20-$40 a pound, NOBODY in his right mind would strip it all off but it would be between the 48% and the 65% figures.)

Moral...just because you can't SEE the fat doesn't mean it's not there.

Last edited by zip2play; 10-11-2004 at 12:40 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

My understanding is that many cuts of sirloin have almost half the fat of filet mignon and they do taste almost as good. I like the center cut sirloin - very low fat, tender, and zero waste.

Old 10-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
(male)

sam061 HB User

Would you believe I purchased a sirlion (center cut) not more than an hour ago. I will have it for this weekend. By the way, there is a sauce (can be used as a marinade) for beef. We have used it when we ate steak for many years. In fact I ran into a girl from St. Louis and asked her if she had ever used it. Her response was, "Are you kidding, I grew up on that stuff." It can be found at [url]www.andrias.com[/url]. It is really in O'fallon Illinois. I wasn't able to get any, and found their website. It is good, believe me. I don't eat red meat very often, but when I do I don't want it bland. This makes meat taste like it did when I was a kid. - sam

Last edited by sam061; 10-12-2004 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
No, the reason a filet mignon is tender is because it is VERY well marbled with a lot of fat that is VERY finely disbursed.

A piece of $$PRIME$$ filet mignon trimmed to 1/8" fat contains 65% of its calories as fat.
Even a tougher piece of CHOICE grade trimmed to ZERO visible fat contains 48% its calories as fat.

(USDA doesn't even bother to list a PRIME cut completely stripped of all visible fat because at $20-$40 a pound, NOBODY in his right mind would strip it all off but it would be between the 48% and the 65% figures.)

Moral...just because you can't SEE the fat doesn't mean it's not there.
Where did you get those numbers for filet mignon? I can't seem to find the info on the USDA food database. All I can find is info on tenderloin, which generally includes the muscle that runs down the outside of the backbone (sometimes called top loin) and sometimes the inner loin, but nothing specific to the inner or bottom loin. But as I previously mentioned, it is the inner or bottom loin that is used to make filet mignon and is fork-cutting tender even when raw. The top loin down the outside of the backbone often does have visible marbling and can contain quite a bit of fat in the higher grades. It does not appear that the USDA database distinguishes between the top and bottom loins.

The USDA database search results for "filet mignon" comes up with a list of beef, tenderloin, trimmed to "X" fat. That further tells me that the database results are referring to the outer or top tenderloin since the inner loin generally doesn't have surrounding fat. In fact, since the inner loin has little if any surrounding fat (ever piece that I have cut or seen in a meat case has virtually NO external fat with the exception of an occassional fatty streak down one side or through the loin near the end), it is often wrapped in a layer of fat such as bacon to keep it from drying out while cooking.

I still say that if you select a filet will little to no visible fat (this would likely be a select cut, not a prime cut), the fat content is going to be relatively low (on the order of 10% or less fat by gram weight).

Sure, the best grades of beef like prime are going to have more fat, that's what makes them taste good. But I've sampled both select and prime filets, and both were equally tender (cooked medium-rare), just that the prime tasted better because of the fat.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:27 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

No, No, NO...you cannot go by gram weight percent- it's meaningless.
When they tout a 90% lean ground beef (and that's usually the leanest CHUCK with all visible fat removed by a butcher with a surgeons touch), they are saying 10% fat by weight. The 90% "lean" is made up PRIMARILY of all the water that isn't fat and most muscle is mostly water- and yes they even add extra water. Sometimes it's washed with solvents to get more fat out...nauseating isn't it?

But I digress,
Hence a % of calories is what makes sense and an advertised "10% fat"-always called "90% lean" pound of hamburger is 1.6 ounces of fat or 45 grams of fat or 400 calories of fat. When you get to 75 % LEAN you are taking a whopping 1100 calories per pound from fat alone- some LEAN, eh?

Think of taking a stick (4 ounces) of butter and whizzing it with a pint of cold water. You've now created a drink that is "80% fat free" but what your body is getting is a 100% fat yucchy concoction.
Moral: water is VERY lean!

On the USDA, they don't concern themselves with culinary definitions like Filet mignon, and N.Y. Strip steak, and Club steaks and the like. The tenderloin is the 2 foot long piece of beef the butcher gets that runs on either side of the spine from the bottom ribs to beginning of the round...on the top of a standing steer. The butcher trims it very well or very poorly depending on the price and grade.

Believe me, that lean looking, succulent, expensive piece of beef is tender as butter because chemically, it is more closely realted to butter than muscle. "Melts in your mouth" isn't far off the mark!

If anyone is interested in the leanest beef, go for a choice or select grade of top round that is stripped of all visible fat or a cut from the round, trimmed completely. They must be long cooked (braised) but will give you the lowest fat content you can get from beef at 30% of calories from fat. You CANNOT get leaner than this unless you start eating HOOVES!

Last edited by zip2play; 10-13-2004 at 05:39 AM.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
(male)

sam061 HB User

How do you cook Hooves? I am guessing they would have to be boiled.
This is quite a discussion and I still don not have definitive answer. Just joking on the hooves.

But I have asked two different butchers at two different stores and they both told me the filet was the leanest part of beef. I had always been told the round steak and sirlion were the leanest. That was the reason they were tough and had to be hammered to death for round and maninaded for hours for sirlion.

I have to watch my cholesterol very closely, but was told I could have red meat once a week as long as it was lean. Otherwise I eat ground venision which the lable states 3g of fat (1.5g saturated) in 4oz. And believe me it is good. The cholesterol is 40mg.

I have not had a good ol' hamburger in years. I don't miss it anymore. But I do a good piece of beef steak now and then. Round steak get's in between my teeth and drives me up a wall. Thanks for the information to whom ever is correct.

Last edited by sam061; 10-13-2004 at 09:07 AM.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #11
Inactive

alptraum HB User

You can look up nutritional data via [url]http://www.nutritiondata.com[/url]

They have data for fortified and unfortified soy milk and data as well for soy flour.

Last edited by alptraum; 10-16-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
(male)

sam061 HB User

Thank's! I found that out when I did a search on soy milK. I should have done the search before I asked the question. That is one handy site. I placed it in my favorites. - sam

Closed Thread