It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #1

minimuffin HB User
Question zinc sources for vegetarians

Can anyone tell me what vegetarian foods are rich in zinc? I'd really rather not have to take a supplement.

I know that certain nuts contain a lot of zinc but I don't know which kinds or how many I would have to consume on a daily basis to get the RDA. Does anyone know?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: zinc sources for vegetarians

Lentils
kidney beans
Lima Beans
Spinach
Peas
Brown Rice
Whole Wheat Bread
Oatmeal
Baked Potato
nuts

Keep in mind that food processing strips zinc. So always select natural whole grains, fresh veggies, fresh fruits, etc. But its also important to note that certain high fiber foods bind to zinc and prevent absorption. So as a vegetarian, you may need to take a supplement.

Are you vegan? Or will you eat seafood? I ask because Oysters have more zinc than any other food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #3

minimuffin HB User

Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful.

I'm not vegan because I still eat dairy products but, in answer to your question, no I don't eat seafood.

Can anyone tell me very roughly how many mg of zinc would be contained in say, a handful of nuts or in one large baked potato? Sorry for being finicky.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

A large baked potato (around 10 oz) with the skin has approximately 1 mg of zinc.
1 cup of cooked brown rice has 1.25 mg of zinc.
1 oz of dry roasted peanuts is just shy of having 1 mg of zinc.
1 oz of dry roasted almonds has 1 mg of zinc.
1 cup of cooked peas has 1.5 mg of zinc.
The amount of zinc in spinach is so negligable its not worth discussing.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

And of course, a 25 mg. zinc supplement has exactly 25 mg. of zinc!

Old 10-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

corn, cashews, peanuts, peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are sources of zinc, too, and many cereals are fortified with zinc.

The leavening of bread (most bread is leavened) and fermenting of soy foods (tempeh and miso) enhance zinc absorption.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #7

minimuffin HB User

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful information.

LOL at zip2play, you're right, it would be easier just to take a supplement but I'm just cautious about artificial minerals and vitamins because I keep hearing so many bad things about them. If it's possible to incorporate zinc into my diet in a natural way then I'd much rather do so.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

You should be able to find a natural supplement. Just avoid the synthetics. This may require that you purchase online. Walmart and grocery stores, for example, typically only carry synthetic supplements.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #9

minimuffin HB User

Thank you jdimassimo, I actually didn't know that natural zinc supplements existed. Are they a lot more expensive?

Old 10-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimuffin
Thank you jdimassimo, I actually didn't know that natural zinc supplements existed. Are they a lot more expensive?
Actually I was stating a general caution about supplements. I don't think zinc supplements are synthetic, but the may contain synthetic binders and other bad ingredients. TwinLab has a pretty good reputation for making all-natural supplements without the junk additives.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #11

minimuffin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
Actually I was stating a general caution about supplements. I don't think zinc supplements are synthetic, but the may contain synthetic binders and other bad ingredients. TwinLab has a pretty good reputation for making all-natural supplements without the junk additives.
I see. I really don't know anything about these things, I just remember my human biology lecturer at college saying that all supplements were synthetic and basically to steer clear of them. I figured since she has a degree in human biology that she knows her stuff, lol.

Caio for now

Closed Thread