It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Anyone with Low Blood sugar been on Atkins?

How did it work for you? I was thinking about trying Atkins, or South Beach after my baby is born. But something carb restrictive anyway. But I worry about my blood sugar. I have a tendency to crash into the 40's sometimes. I don't eat alot of sugar, but I get alot of carbs in potatoes and pasta. I also tend to get light headed and faint w/o carbs.

But consistent protien keeps my blood sugar level most of the time, so would this work for atkins too? Any experience would be appreciated!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 10-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: Anyone with Low Blood sugar been on Atkins?

There is A LOT of information on how to address reactive hypoglycemia in the diabetes board (up one category from here). I personally do not believe that Atkins or Southbeach are the best ways to address this type of problem.

Will restricting carbs help you? To some degree, yes, but there is much more to it than that. Its important that you employ other strategies to heal your metabolism and stabilize your glucose levels.

HypoG is often a precursor to diabetes and I recommend that you do everything in your power to prevent the onset of diabetes. If you want more information about this, meet me up in the diabetes board. I will be happy to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Anyone with Low Blood sugar been on Atkins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren1024
How did it work for you? I was thinking about trying Atkins, or South Beach after my baby is born. But something carb restrictive anyway. But I worry about my blood sugar. I have a tendency to crash into the 40's sometimes. I don't eat alot of sugar, but I get alot of carbs in potatoes and pasta. I also tend to get light headed and faint w/o carbs.

But consistent protien keeps my blood sugar level most of the time, so would this work for atkins too? Any experience would be appreciated!
Kellie, I've used LC to successfully deal with reactive hypoglyceamia. The problem with a high carb diet and hypoglyceamia is you're always on the roller coaster. By reducing carbs and balancing meals with healthy fats and proteins you control insulin spikes and glucose levels. It's worked wonders for me and many type II diabetics.

You don't have to give up all carbs, just watch out for the high glyceamic ones. Try doing a little research on the glyceamic index and glyceamic load - the effect carbs have on your blood sugar when eaten. A white potato, baked has more of an impact than an equal amount of table sugar Yet, a sweetpotato has half the impact. It is all about choices.

If you're serious about controling your hypoglyceamia I would recommend Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution - the Dr is a Type I diabetic who has managed to cut his insulin in half and live 55 years with his disease by controlling blood sugar via carb restriction.

Closed Thread