It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Upset (?) Stomach

I had had amenhorrea for a little over a year (due to dramatic weight loss). I have regained the weight (not all, but 95% of it) and still had not seen any return of my menstrual cycle. I got an ultrasound that showed my uterine levels to be normal (as in, thick, but "prepubescent" the tech described it as). My doc put me on a 10-day run of Progestin (progesterone hormone), after which I got my period (for about 4-5 days, ending today).

However, for about a week and a half now, my stomach- well, to be specific, my lower abdomen/bowels have been "upset". There is no other word to describe it- it gurgles at times, but mostly is like a tummy ache, just lower. It used to happen right after lunch, but lately it has only been happening after my 3pm snack, and lasting till I go to sleep. I havn't seen a real change in my stools, save for one major one about a week and a half ago (since then, theyve been normal and fairly regular). Hot water bottles dont really help, but sometimes cold cloths do (but only momentarily). I can't believe it is dairy-related, because I eat/drink dairy in the morn. and am perfectly fine. I think even food related would be iffy....For a snack I USUALLY have a banana/pecans/yogurt/rice cakes, but over the weekend I didn't have a 3pm snack, and the upset-ness came after dinner. Today it came after lunch, for which i had citrusy juice, pita, a cheese slice and turkey, and the queasiness (its very similar to being car sick) came right after lunch (literally right after) and lasted till bed time (now).

Could this be a result of the progestin? Is it just a virus, that could be going around (even though its been over a week now)? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: Upset (?) Stomach

Because you didn't get your period for so long, it is very possible that your body is going through shock now that you finally got it. All this time your uterine wall has been building up and not being shed, so when all of the sudden your body disposes of it, you are bound to feel sort of "icky." Normally when I get my period I get a little upset, gurgly feeling in my stomach, so I can imagine that what you are feeling is the same thing times ten. It will go away soon enough.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Were you strictly eliminating food from your daily diet before you were diagnosed? It sounds like it's either the medication or the introduction of more foods back into your diet. Did you tell your doctor?

Old 10-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

No I was eating a good diet before I was put on the pill. Actually since then I have dramatically reduced my intake (still a safe amount) because I feel I CANT eat anythign without feeling really sick! I havent told me doctor yet, because my doc is the type of person who will just prescribe something rather then try to find a way to eliminate it without drugs. Although if it persists, I probably will go see her, because enough is enough!

I understand LS's view, and appreciate the comments! The only thing is...im now off of my period....shouldnt the icky'ness be going too? I still feel sick daily, after lunch or snacking....could it be that I eat too fast?

Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

You could have Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS issues going on. That's how I started to feel after I would eat and sometimes even looking at food made me nauseous. This has been going on for 4 mos and I have now been diagnosed with IBS. They put me on nexium which helped the nausea a lot.
Nodi

Old 10-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok this might sound funny but, my sister was like that with her cycles and, she also had IBS for such a long time...i told her to go gluten free..and, she feels much better..no more IBS and, her cycles are always regular..
those two symptoms are often if not 90% of the times related to gluten sensitivty..might make some searches and, see for yourself..

punch in these words

menstual cycle & gluten
IBS & gluten

bye

Closed Thread