It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Fish oil and flax question..........

I take a tsp of fish oil that contains 850mg of epa and 560mg of dha, a total of : 1.5 grams of omega 3 fatty acids.

And 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds a day.

Do you think I really need 2 tablespoons of flax to get the recommended daily requirement? Could I get away with one. What is your opinion?

Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Fish oil and flax question..........

I don't think you need the flaxseed...
The fish oil is enough (and more assimilable.) Flax, as flax seed, can pass through as fiber carrying much of its oil with it.

Last edited by zip2play; 10-13-2004 at 09:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

i liked ground flax seed a lot better than fish oil. there's nothing wrong with doing both. the fiber in flax will not make the oil harder to absorb or carry it out of your system. i tried both fish oil and flax. flax has a lot more nutrition than just omega 3s. plus it's cheaper. i'm up to 5 tbsp of flaxmeal a day. i've never felt better. i'm 48 yo male. i cook it with oats. i'm off my antidepressants, anti-anxiety meds, flonase and flovent. i exercise a lot. i tolerate cold better. i sleep with windows open even at 48 f degrees. that's cool. try it sometime. please learmn more about both. i'm not knocking fish oil.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhard
i liked ground flax seed a lot better than fish oil. there's nothing wrong with doing both. the fiber in flax will not make the oil harder to absorb or carry it out of your system. i tried both fish oil and flax. flax has a lot more nutrition than just omega 3s. plus it's cheaper. i'm up to 5 tbsp of flaxmeal a day. i've never felt better. i'm 48 yo male. i cook it with oats. i'm off my antidepressants, anti-anxiety meds, flonase and flovent. i exercise a lot. i tolerate cold better. i sleep with windows open even at 48 f degrees. that's cool. try it sometime. please learmn more about both. i'm not knocking fish oil.
Believe my Rick, I'm not giving up my flaxseeds! But do you think I can get away with one tbs instead of two for maximum results in addition to my fish oil. Or is two teaspoons recommended? Thanks

Old 10-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Fish oil, or better yet, cod liver oil, is far superior to flax seed oil if you are interested in Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Flax seed oil contains the omega 3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), but your body needs eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Your body can convert ALA into EPA/DHA, but it is about a 10 to 1 conversion (10 parts ALA to make 1 part EPA/DHA), and that is if you are healthy and eating a good diet. To convert ALA into EPA/DHA, your body uses the Delta 6 Desaturase (D6D) enzyme, which is often depleted in those that eat a poor diet high in processed foods containing trans fatty acids from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and omega 6 fat acids like those found in commercial vegetable oils. This is why it is better to get your omega 3's from a high quality fish or cod liver oil or wild cold water fish.

Reference: "The Role of Fats in Human Nutrition", 1989, R.R. Brenner, Ph.D.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6
Fish oil, or better yet, cod liver oil, is far superior to flax seed oil if you are interested in Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Flax seed oil contains the omega 3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), but your body needs eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
Arkie, have you ever investigated the merits of seal oil? It's hard to obtain outside of Newfoundland / Labrador and places like Norway but it not only does it have high levels of EPA and DHA it also contains DPA.

Nat

Old 10-18-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

there's nothing wrong with doing both. you need a lot of flax compared to fish oil to get same amount of epa and dha. flax contains a lot of great nutrients besides omega 3s.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Arkie, have you ever investigated the merits of seal oil? It's hard to obtain outside of Newfoundland / Labrador and places like Norway but it not only does it have high levels of EPA and DHA it also contains DPA. Nat
Nope, can't say as I've looked into seal oil. My Carlson's Lemon Flavored Cod Liver Oil seems to be working fine for me and it is easy to find locally.

Closed Thread