It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
(male)

DnutDman HB User
Question Raw Eggs?

ive herd from some older people that they eat eaw eggs every day and it keeps em healthy and there is alot of benifits from it.. ive also herd that they are bad for you and theyll kill you quick and easy.. Does anyone know if they are healthy for you or not?? id love to know...

Old 10-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Re: Raw Eggs?

I've been eating raw eggs pretty regularly for nearly 20 years now. Never had any problems with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hmm, I don't understand..do you mean drinking them..eggs are also very healthy..they won't kill you..but, in moderation.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
hmm, I don't understand..do you mean drinking them..
Yeah, just crack them into a glass and drink 'em down. Or you can mix them in a protein shake. I sometimes take 2 raw eggs, one scoop of whey protein powder, a handful of frozen strawberries, a dash of stevia, and about half a cup of water or milk and put it all through the blender. Makes a pretty good quick breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
eggs are also very healthy..
I agree. I generally eat 2 to 4 eggs every day.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:16 AM   #5
(male)

DnutDman HB User

Thanks guys, ill try a couple!

Old 10-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

My grandmother always used to make us eggnog (without rum . . . and not just at Christmas). One forum I frequent has many people who eat not only raw eggs but raw meat/liver/etc.

I haven't gotten there myself. I would definitely be hesitant about using grocery store eggs. Arkie, what is your source? Although, somehow, in Arkansas I might trust the grocery store eggs. I'm even a hesitant about health food store organic eggs here. I'm in a New York City suburb, and they come from Pennsylvania. Too much can happen on the way.

Now if I could run up to Martha Stewart and get some fresh from here, that would be another story, but she's not nearby anymore and I don't know another source.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Dnutman,

The scare is due to the presence of occasionall salmonella in chicken and their eggs.

I think it's overblown and, in any case, if you believe you have an infected egg the only way to cure the problem is to HARD, HARD, HARD boil them <yeaccch.>

I've eaten LOTS raw eggs (in shakes and as foam for whisky sours) and even more soft cooked eggs and have never had a problem. I've had food poisoning a couple times but from a salad bar, never from an egg.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #8

RobMob83 HB User

My two cents...just heard from a relative that if eggs aren't cooked that they can carry alot of bacteria and make you sick. Those who eat alot of raw eggs do you wash them with disinfectant or how does that work. Then again is this an old wifes tale and have never heard of such a thing?

Old 10-19-2004, 10:45 AM   #9
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

what brand or kind of eggs do you eat? why is raw better than cooked? what about salmonella? lately i've been buying organic eggs from free range chickens fed a diet high in flax seed. the organic eggs are all brown in color. they come from a farm in oregon. does the color make any difference?

Old 10-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Salmonella gets into eggs because so many commercially raised laying hens live in filthy conditions. IMHO, organic is not a guarantee of better living conditions either, nowadays, at least. The color doesn't make a difference in organic or bacteria matters. Though the yolks of organic eggs are usually much brighter than commercially raised.

Closed Thread