It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

baby_bytes HB User
So what is OK to eat at night?

I try not to eat at night, but sometimes I do get hungry...so is there any plain and simple things i can eat at night? How about cereal? I get really confused on what we're supposed to eat at night that will not affect our diets and such

Last edited by baby_bytes; 10-16-2004 at 06:31 PM.

Old 10-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: So what is OK to eat at night?

rice cakes, raisins..lite stuff..cereals is ok too..with low fat milk tho..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

fawn512 HB User

yogurt, nuts are also good

Old 10-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

on the cereal, what cereal's are ok? i usually eat either rice krispies or cheerios, but today i ate some strawberry special k, don't know if that one is ok to eat at night tho

Old 10-17-2004, 04:02 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_bytes
I try not to eat at night, but sometimes I do get hungry...so is there any plain and simple things i can eat at night? How about cereal? I get really confused on what we're supposed to eat at night that will not affect our diets and such
First of all, there is nothing wrong with eating at night, I recommend it. I am an advocate of eating every 3 hours that you are awake. This helps to balance and strengthen the metabolism.

My scheduled meals are 9AM, 12noon, 3PM, 6PM, and 9PM, but if I am still awake at 12 Midnight, I eat again. If you are planning your meals and snacks on a schedule like this, you don't need to question WHAT is okay to eat at night - just eat the same way you eat during the day, a healthy, balanced, nutritous meal/snack. For me, that means about 300 calories that consists of about 38 carb grams, 19 protein grams, and 8 fat grams. What are my choices? Usually fruit and cheese or cottage cheese, soy chips or soy nuts (very high in protein and fiber), or a small portion of leftovers from dinner.

I recommend that you be sure to combine carbs with protein - eating all carbs at night wreaks havok on your metabolism and glucose levels.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:49 AM   #6
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
First of all, there is nothing wrong with eating at night, I recommend it. I am an advocate of eating every 3 hours that you are awake. This helps to balance and strengthen the metabolism.

My scheduled meals are 9AM, 12noon, 3PM, 6PM, and 9PM, but if I am still awake at 12 Midnight, I eat again. If you are planning your meals and snacks on a schedule like this, you don't need to question WHAT is okay to eat at night - just eat the same way you eat during the day, a healthy, balanced, nutritous meal/snack. For me, that means about 300 calories that consists of about 38 carb grams, 19 protein grams, and 8 fat grams. What are my choices? Usually fruit and cheese or cottage cheese, soy chips or soy nuts (very high in protein and fiber), or a small portion of leftovers from dinner.

I recommend that you be sure to combine carbs with protein - eating all carbs at night wreaks havok on your metabolism and glucose levels.
my only problem is that i've never really been that great with counting calories, carbs, grams etc ...so the only thing i do is eat in small portions, and eat some fruit in between

Old 10-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_bytes
my only problem is that i've never really been that great with counting calories, carbs, grams etc ...so the only thing i do is eat in small portions, and eat some fruit in between
You don't need to count - I am just showing you my example because I do. You do want to avoid carb-heavy foods at night, so you simply want to look at the labels and make sure you are getting a decent amount of protein with your snack. For example, a muffin or bread or cereal or just fruit by itself is a bad idea. Combine with them some cottage cheese, hard cheese, nuts, soy, yogurt, etc. and that will help. If you are interested in maintaining a healthy diet, it won't hurt to peak at the labels once in a while, and better yet, try to understand what they mean

Old 10-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

heh i've tried, i take a look at the carbs and calories and such, but like i don't know the recommended carbs a day and such...why is eating fruit by itself a bad idea? and i thought cottage cheese was bad for a diet? how about the reduced fat cottage cheese?

Old 10-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

oh yeah, are lentils ok to eat after 6?

Old 10-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah lintiles are ok..but without bread..lol..bye

Old 10-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #11

thescaredest HB User

My doctor recomended that you eat something low in sugar at night but yet something with protien is what you should aim for. A slice of cheese, an apple with some nut butter, nuts, something like that.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Baby bytes-I dont think you need to AVOID carbs. all jdimassimo is saying is that its best to keep things balanced, so you dont end up having carbs ALL the time. Obviously a muffin at night wont kill you, but obviously it isnt the healthiest choice you can have. If you have plenty of options, eat whatever you feel like (that includes muffins, if you want one!)

LoseC20- I dont think you need to skip the bread altogether. As mentioned before, you dont need to avoid foods, because that's a "dieting" behaviour and is hard to break. It's just best to keep things balanced. Again, that itself isnt necessary per se, but it IS optimal. Most people end up eating fairly balanced, over the course of a week. Most people dont sustain on a completely fast food diet (there are SOME but not everyone!)...You NEED carbs, and besides that, they taste good! Nothing should ever be compeletly eliminated! You seem to be completely cutting out (or really avoiding) carbs, for whatever reason, and if that works for you, great- but not everyone needs to do that!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

im not avoiding carbs im just not eating them at night..

Old 10-18-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

heh i dont like bread anymore, not even the wheat for some reason, better for me tho lol ^_^

Closed Thread