It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #1

Sought HB User
Question Protein in Breakfast

Does anyone know of any good, preferably quick, recipes or simple additions I could implement into my breakfast every morning for some protein? I'm looking for at least 5 grams of protein. I have about a 10 minute slot for breakfast. If anyone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know this doesn't go with the title of the post, but what would be a nice nutritous lunch to take to school? Our school serves the greasiest, most unappetizing food. I want something that would fill me up, but not too much.

I say I want to know these things because I can't often eat a healthy supper. My step dad loves fried foods and things like that and my mom's the same, except she throws in an occasional salad. She wouldn't approve of me not eating what they eat, so I'd like to make up for it in the meals I CAN control. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Sought; 10-20-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #2

mugal2003 HB User
Re: Protein in Breakfast

Lowfat/No sugar added yogurt is a good source of protein and calcium.. Lite 85 is around 7grams of protein, walmart and kroger both have their own "lite" versions.. Atkins has a yogurt too that is lowfat/high protein... Cottage Cheese is an excellent source of protein, you can get it in the "2 go" cups. Cheese strings(individualized) are great also, you can just grab them and eat them on your way. You can always boil eggs the night before and eat them when you go the next morning. A small container of lowfat or skim milk is good also. Turkey/Ham Slices rolled up with some cheese.
Lunch ideas... Hmmmm... well there is always the usual whole wheat sandwhich with turkey, lettuce, tomato, etc.. Fruit is always portable, veggies sliced up in a ziplock bag.... maybe some baked chips if your a chip fan, maybe a small portion of nuts, lowfat granola/cereal bar.. LOL I could probably go on forever, but it just depends on what your preferences are.
Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #3

Sought HB User

Thanks! The yogurt sounds like a good idea and so do the boiled eggs. For lunch, I think the sandwich + a granola bar and some fruit is a great idea. Thanks for the advice. I'll be trying this out to see how I like it, and I'll give some feedback.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Sought, I have found that I can get more protein in my breakfast if I stop thinking of it as "breakfast" and think of it as a "meal." I get my breakfast protein from eggs (but only once or twice per week), Low fat cottage cheese, beans (from an organic breakfast burrito), lean meat, and soy (from veggie burgers - to me they taste more like a potato pancake than a hamburger!)

Old 10-21-2004, 02:59 PM   #5

Sought HB User

So, should I try to alternate between different foods every now and then? (Like breakfast burrito one morning, then eggs, then an energy smoothie, and so on) I've heard if you eat the same thing over and over, you can develop food allergies. Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Oatmeal with cottage cheese mixed in. Quick and easy to make.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Sought,

A hard boiled egg is 6 grams of protein...what could be faster? Do a dozen at a time and pop one in your mouth for a fast protein snack whenever you feel the need!

Last edited by zip2play; 10-26-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I make scrambled eggs from egg substitute, a little bit of cheese, and salsa. 3/4 cup gives you 22 grams of protein.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Also, if you are not a cottage cheese fan, try Friendship's "whipped cottage cheese" - its texture is firmer - more like ricotta. It's very low fat, low carb, and has a whopping 16g of protein in 1/2 cup!

Old 10-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Atkins makes a cereal with 10-15 grams of protein per serving.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #11

Exile HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
Also, if you are not a cottage cheese fan, try Friendship's "whipped cottage cheese"
My first couple of cottage cheese experiences were not good... I couldnt stand the stuff! But I tried "no salt added" from the friendship brand as well, and I liked it alot! Most cottage cheeses have about 20% of your daily sodium. Now, I am a fan of salt, but I found that I liked cottage cheese a lot better without the salt. hard to find though.

Closed Thread