It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Too much unsaturated fats bad?

I'm on medication that requires that I keep my cholesterol and trigylceride levels low. I have a diet that is high in unsaturated fats because I do tend to eat a lot nuts and use Flaxseed Oil. Can too much unsaturated fats cause these levels to rise?

Old 10-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Too much unsaturated fats bad?

the Essential Fatty Acids in nuts (especially walnuts) and flax seeds/flax oil should help stabilize your cholesterol, not add to the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

The greatest impact you can have on lowering your total cholesterol, trigs, and LDL is to eliminate chemical additives and preservatives from your diet. I realize that this is a very difficult task, but it works. Foods to avoid include deli meat, processed cheese slices, soups, gravies, boxed/frozen prepared foods, some sauces, salad dressings, most breads, margerine, artificial sweeteners including sugar-free gum and diet soda-pop. Just read labels and skip anything that has chemicals added or words you cannot pronounce.

Even if you are unable to completely eliminate these ingredients, if you can dramatically reduce your toxic load from foods your cholesterol levels will still improve greatly.

Old 10-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

iv eliminated those foods with pleasure jd.. bacuz they are all junk..these foods shouldn't even be sold........

Old 10-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

good good good! But I knew that because I see what you eat every day

Old 10-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hahaha, you'r a kool guy...eat well live long and, healthy..as simple as that..

see ya

Old 10-24-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
The greatest impact you can have on lowering your total cholesterol, trigs, and LDL is to eliminate chemical additives and preservatives from your diet. I realize that this is a very difficult task, but it works. Foods to avoid include deli meat, processed cheese slices, soups, gravies, boxed/frozen prepared foods, some sauces, salad dressings, most breads, margerine, artificial sweeteners including sugar-free gum and diet soda-pop. Just read labels and skip anything that has chemicals added or words you cannot pronounce.

Even if you are unable to completely eliminate these ingredients, if you can dramatically reduce your toxic load from foods your cholesterol levels will still improve greatly.
How big of an impact is deli meat? Because I pretty much eat deli meat 4-5/days a week.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:43 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
hahaha, you'r a kool guy...eat well live long and, healthy..as simple as that..

see ya
I'm female

Old 10-25-2004, 04:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
How big of an impact is deli meat? Because I pretty much eat deli meat 4-5/days a week.
Its not about any one specific food. It's about decreasing your toxic load and improving liver function so it's able to metabolize fat more efficiently.

The reason deli meats are classified as "junk food" is because they are loaded with chemical preservatives. Sodium lactate, sodium diacetate, and sodium nitrate are examples of preservatives used to prevent spoilage, enhance flavor, and improve color and texture. But these chemicals are perceived by your liver as toxins that must be eliminated from your body. The liver will do everything it can to flush these substances out of your system. The greater your toxic load, the more exhausted your liver becomes, which results in inefficient metabolism.

By cutting out chemical additives and preservatives whereever possible and reducing your toxic load, you improve liver function by allowing it to do what it is supposed to do - metabolize the food you eat. It won't happen overnight, but in time, your metabolism will become more efficient, your cholesterol will lower, and many other health conditions will improve dramatically.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

omg/ im so sorry jdimassimo, its because i have a cousin named massimo..eyy

so sorry

Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
I'm on medication that requires that I keep my cholesterol and trigylceride levels low. I have a diet that is high in unsaturated fats because I do tend to eat a lot nuts and use Flaxseed Oil. Can too much unsaturated fats cause these levels to rise?
What kind of medication are you referring to?

Dietary fats have little if any negative impact on fasting triglyceride levels. Elevated triglyceride levels are generally associated with excess carbohydrate consumption. If you are active, then you can safely consume higher levels of carbohydrates since they will be used for energy; however, if you are not that active, then excess carbohydrates get converted into tryglicerides in the liver for storage as fat. Triglyceride levels are best controlled by exercise and/or carbohydrate restriction, especially sugars and quickly digested starchy carbohydrates.

Saturated fats tend to raise HDL while having an essentially neutral effect on Total Cholesterol and LDL with some studies showing a slight increase in calculated LDL. Monounsaturated fats, like the predominate fat in nuts, also tend to raise HDL levels while also lowering LDL levels. Polyunsaturated fats tend to lower both HDL (the "good" cholesterol) and LDL. Trans-fatty acids like those found in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils tend lower HDL "the good cholesterol" while raising LDL "the bad cholesterol".

Last edited by arkie6; 10-25-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6
What kind of medication are you referring to?

Dietary fats have little if any negative impact on fasting triglyceride levels. Elevated triglyceride levels are generally associated with excess carbohydrate consumption. If you are active, then you can safely consume higher levels of carbohydrates since they will be used for energy; however, if you are not that active, then excess carbohydrates get converted into tryglicerides in the liver for storage as fat. Triglyceride levels are best controlled by exercise and/or carbohydrate restriction, especially sugars and quickly digested starchy carbohydrates.

Saturated fats tend to raise HDL while having an essentially neutral effect on Total Cholesterol and LDL with some studies showing a slight increase in calculated LDL. Monounsaturated fats, like the predominate fat in nuts, also tend to raise HDL levels while also lowering LDL levels. Polyunsaturated fats tend to lower both HDL (the "good" cholesterol) and LDL. Trans-fatty acids like those found in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils tend lower HDL "the good cholesterol" while raising LDL "the bad cholesterol".
The medication I am taking is Accutane (aka Isotretinoin). And yes, I am aware of the dangers.

Closed Thread