It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Almond Roca

Is this stuff bad for you? I like to get it as a topping on my frozen yogurt instead of just plain almonds...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #2

Lakers2005 HB User
Re: Almond Roca

Do you eat frozen yogurt every day?

If you are truly concerned about eating right, I suggest you avoid ALL refined sugar. It reaks havoc on your blood glucose levels, thereby producing higher levels of insulin, which in the long run can increase body fat stores.

Also, if you do eat yogurt, consider it as a treat and get whatever you want on it...DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT...Just don't make it a daily thing, unless you really aren't concerned with improving your body composition.

Last edited by Lakers2005; 10-27-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I do eat frozen yogurt almost everyday...if not everyday, at least every other day. I know it's probably not the best thing for me, but it's my one vice. I try to get the Carbolite kind whenever possible (low sugar or sugar free I think).

Sometimes I think I can substitute an apple and peanut butter or yogurt for it, but I'm not sure if that's better because it still has a lot of sugar in it (and if I get carbolite, frozen yogurt could potentially have less sugar)...what do you think?

Old 10-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
(female)

fawn512 HB User

I thought yogurt is good for the body??!! What if u bought the 0% fat?

Old 10-28-2004, 06:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn512
I thought yogurt is good for the body??!! What if u bought the 0% fat?
Actually, my personal opinion is that yogurt is not that great for you. Yes it's a dairy source, and yes it has protein, but it has a lot of disadvantages compared to other foods.

Most yogurts are loaded with sugar. The less fat, the more sugar. Lite yogurts have less sugar, but are loaded with artificial sweeteners. Usually the lower the carbs and sugars the more chemicals in the ingredients. Also, the amount of protein is often quite low, compared to the carbs and/or fat content. Finally, yogurt has no fiber (unless it has chunks of fruit, but its minimal).

Here is an excercise that can be quite enlightening. Choose 3 different types of yogurt off the shelf in the grocery store - 1 regular, 1 low fat, and 1 lite. Compare not only the ingredients, but the nutritional values for calories, carbs, protein, and fat. Next, compare any of these types of yogurt to the same information on an ice cream container. Often, not much difference when you consider equal portion sizes (ice cream is usually 1/2 cup while most yogurts are now 6 oz.)

I think there are a lot of snacks out there that are healthier and more balanced than yogurt.

Last edited by modert; 10-28-2004 at 06:55 AM.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:09 AM   #6

PinkGrape HB User

I make one of my meal/snacks out of mixed fruit (berries or grapes) and plain yogurt (no sugar added or sugar replacement). Is this still bad for you because of the sugar in the milk? I eat this frequently as a breakfast because it's a quick little protein.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGrape
I make one of my meal/snacks out of mixed fruit (berries or grapes) and plain yogurt (no sugar added or sugar replacement). Is this still bad for you because of the sugar in the milk? I eat this frequently as a breakfast because it's a quick little protein.
Its not bad for you. And plain yogurt is a MUCH better choice because it doesn't have all the crapola in it! As a snack it is probably fine, but as a meal, you might consider adding more protein. Yogurt has about the same amount of protein as milk - about 1g per ounce (maybe a little bit more). Most people would not consider a glass of milk and fruit a meal.

The amount of protein you should get truly depends on how many calories you consume in a day, but IMO the very minimum amount of protein a person should consume each day is 60g (in a 1200 calorie per day diet) - I recommend 20-30% of daily calories should be protein. (as a reference 1g of protein = 4 calories) Remember, what you don't consume as protein is either carbs, fat, or alcohol!

Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

In my original post I was referring to frozen yogurt, but now that we are on the topic of real yogurt, I'll go with it.
I think yogurt is a great food! It has tons of active cultures that are wonderful for the body and it is a great source of calcium and protein! Mixing it with granola and fruit for breakfast is a great idea, as well as having it as a snack. Personally, I think the lowfat organic kinds are the best and most flavorful (stonyfield farms or horizon).

Old 10-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #9

Lakers2005 HB User

Back to the topic of frozen yogurt...

As always if you decide to eat frozen yogurt, just make sure you have a small portion. The carbolite kind or the regular kind aren't much different. One has real sugar while the other has Splenda or Aspartame or some other artificial sweeteners. Try to go with the one with the most natural ingredients. Artificial sweeteners and regular sugar both produce insulin, which can increase the potential to store body fat.

On the subject of yogurt...

I have been eating it recently, but have decided to cut it out of my diet. It's basically sugar and doesn't provide enough protein per serving. I've discovered cottage cheese which is a great meat substitute. It's packed with protein, low in fat (low-fat kind/fat free kind) and has no sugar/carbs. I can't praise this dairy product enough!!

I just try to eat clean and once and a while I'll have a treat, but not every day. I'm very concerned with building more muscle and attaining single-digit body fat numbers.

Diet is crucial...Anyway, enough of this rant!

Enjoy life and enjoy frozen yogurt once in a while...If you can, try to eat it earlier in the day and workout afterwards!

Last edited by Lakers2005; 10-28-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I don't know if I can really limit my frozen yogurt intake...haha...I'm obsessed! But I am going to try.

As for cottage cheese...I LOVE the stuff. It is probably one of my very favorite foods. I eat it every single morning with eggs and sometimes I will mix it with fruit (and maybe a little bit of splenda) for a healthy dessert. It's so great!

I think yogurt is a great food, but I do agree that cottage cheese is better

Closed Thread