It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

artsykid HB User
Trying to eat normal again- need a little advice

Hey guys....I was eating very unhealthy for a while...less than 1,000 calories a day and I lost a good amount of weight. I am 5 foot and I was 103 pounds, then I dropped down to 92. I realized what I was doing was very stupid and unhealthy and I was killing my mind and my body so I have started to eat regularly again and excersise 5 times a week (run 2 miles, walk 2 miles in the AM). I just need advice on if I am eating enough. I eat around 1,400 cals a day (healthy foods- fruits, veggies, grains- no soda or fast food). I have tried those calorie calculators and Im confused cause some say I need only around 1,000 for my weight (I am 96 pounds right now) and some say i need up to 1,800! You can see that is a big difference! I just want to maintain my weight at around 95. I have noticed since I have been excerisisng and eating better I have actually PUT ON weight---from 92 lbs to 96 lbs...which doesnt really make sense to me. Is it becuase my body was in starvation mode for a while? Or have I gained muscle? I dont want to gain but I want to be healthy. Any advice? Comments? Thanks in advance and take care.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Trying to eat normal again- need a little advice

artsy,

There is no substitute for personal experience in calorie needs. The best way to determine what you need is to experiment.
Simple really. Start with an average of what you are doing now: 1400 (accurately recorded) calories and 4 miles x 5 days.

Weigh yourself every morning and record the weight. Go 30 days and then compare the average weight of the first 5 days with the average for the last five. If you have lost weight adjust calories UP 100; if you have gained weight adjust DOWN 100.

Then do the same thing next month with the new number.

It's the BEST way to determine your needs.

Hard excercise often adds weight by building muscle even while losing fat...it's quite common (and attractive too.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Artsykid, are you male or female? How old are you? Also, were you trying to lose weight or were you just not eating right? I can give you a calorie recommendation if you answer.

Whatever you do, I do not recommend using any of the weight-gainer powders. It seems that about 75% of people who use the weight-gainers end up with Reactive Hypoglycemia - not a good condition to have. You have to try to accomplish this with real food first.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

artsykid HB User

Hey- I am a female and I am 21 years old. I was trying to lose weight. I have disordered thoughts about eating...but I am trying to get better ( and I think Im on the right track). The thing about weighing myself is good advice for someone, but I would say not for me becuase If I see numbers on the scale go up I will restrict my eating. Like I dont think I could handle looking at the scale everyday, thats what got me in this mess in the first place. Here is an example of what I will eat in a day .... An english muffin and a banana for breakfast, a grilled chicken ceasar pita ( fat free ceasar) for lunch with some baked lays, some baked chicken and broccoli or rice for dinner(sometimes boca burgers or pasta)---for snacks Ill eat fruits, grahm crackers with some peanut butter, animal crackers, cheese....stuff like that. Im trying to eat healthy but eat the right amount. Not under do it and not over do it. I think after coming off of my disordered eating its hard for me to tell whats normal. Just need a little guidence. Another thing is I find at night...I dont know if im bored or what....but I just crave "munchy" food so bad- like crackers and sweets. I need help controlling that. Thanks for your offer to help and I hope to hear back soon!

Old 11-04-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

If you are actually getting 60 minutes of moderate excercise you might need to take in 1500-1800 calories per day to maintain your weight, and more to gain weight. Lets assume that you eat 1600 calories per day. Best if you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks spread out evenly throughout the day - this keeps you well-fueled and allows your body to function efficiently. This translates to 3 meals of 400 calories each and 2 snacks of 200 calories each. It is possible that you need more calories than that - you may need to tinker with this number a bit. But I would guess that 1400 is not enough.

Also, make sure you round out your meals and snacks to include carbs, protein, and fat. You need all three. Your breakfast has virtually no protein and that is not good. Try adding some -an egg, some peanut butter, cheese, cottage cheese, milk, etc. It will make you feel better the rest of the day. Same with snacks - you need to consume protein at regular intervals throughout the day - this is important in growing and maintaining your lean muscle mass (which you definately want to do!).

Old 11-04-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
(female)

artsykid HB User

Thanks for the advice! I just put some peanut butter on my english muffin this mornin. Sometimes I'll include eggs. I ate around 1600 cals yesterday, so I think Im doing good. I am goin to go see a councelor at school today about my issues with food- cause I still feel guilt when I eat too much (or what I consider to be too much) and thats not normal. I still force myself to eat anyway though cause I know I have to. Anyway, thank you for the advice and Ill start to try adding more protien into my diet.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Inactive

LooksLikeRain HB User

have i seen you post on the eating disorders board before? it seems like i have. to put it simply, i'm sort of on my way to recovering from an eating disorder too. it scares me, i'm not sure what's normal! i eat a medium blizzard from dairy queen usually every friday. and then i do a low carb diet during the week. it's hard to explain, but i think you know what i'm talking about. anyway, i'm down to 113.5 this week and i'm 5'5. i want to get down to 105 but i know that's unhealthy and i need to get some help. i'd suggest to you to just experiment. what you're doing now sounds good. maybe weigh once a week (that's what i do) and if you go up, cut down the calories a little. did you say you were trying to gain or stay the same?

Old 11-06-2004, 05:24 AM   #8
(female)

artsykid HB User

Hey LookslikeRain, I have posted over there before. Trying to come off of these eating issues is so hard! Its like now I am obsessed with food...I always think...when will my next meal be, what will I eat, how many calories will be in it? Then I think...maybe other people have these thoughts too. But I remember back before all of this started I didnt give much thought to food at all- so I know Im obsessing. Also, now when I eat......I enjoy it so much (too much i think). I think its cause I deprived myself of food for a while so now I want to savor every bite....does that make sense? Yeah, you may want to get some help- this is something we need to catch before it spins out of control- I took the first step and went to see my school counselor the other day...it went ok but we'll see what kind of progress I make. Basically its like even though I am eating better and more I still obsess about everything I put in my mouth and truthfully it drives me up a wall! I hate not knowing what a "normal amount" is....sometimes I see myself eating more than my boyfreind and I think to myself....."I am such a pig!" I told you guys I weighed 96.....but I just weighed myself the other day and I was 93. I hadnt been restricting AT ALL either ...so I think the weight I gained was water weight( it was around that time of the month). I am not trying to gain or lose now- just trying to maintain. When I saw that I was back down to 93 though it was like all this anxiety and weight was lifted right off my shoulders...weird and sad huh? Good for you by the way for eating those blizzards from dairy queen. I have realized we need to treat ourselves every now and then. Ive been more comfortable lately with eating sweets, chocolate, ice cream. Of course the guilt comes on afterward but Im trying to control it. By the way jdimassio- thank you for reccomending protien with breakfast, I ate an egg w/breakfast yesterday and when I went running I ran 2 miles without stopping ( i ususally run one, walk one, run one, walk one) and thats a big accomplishment for me. I think the protien in the morning seems to give me that extra bit of energy I need to keep pushing.

Closed Thread