It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
I eat real healthy, exercise, and got the results from my cholesterol. High?

Hi, I eat a moderately low fat high fiber diet, exercise and sweat virtually 5x a week, and the receptionist called me to tell me that my cholesterol is 215, and that's considered high. I said, "Are you sure you don't have me mixed up with somebody else?" She said, "I'm sure!" Oh she also said that anything above 200 is high. What the heck? I'm younger and watch EVERYTHING I eat!!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh, before the phlebotmist took my blood, she asked me if I ate and I ate a small bag of Atkin's chips before the test, not knowing cause the doctor never told me to "not eat." Oh, and I'm 28 years old.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-01-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:27 PM   #2

sarahsrose HB User
Re: I eat real healthy, exercise, and got the results from my cholesterol. High?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Guys, I eat a moderately low fat high fiber diet, exercise and sweat virtually 5x a week, and the receptionist called me to tell me that my cholesterol is 215, and that's considered high. I said, "Are you sure you don't have me mixed up with somebody else?" She said, "I'm sure!" Oh she also said that anything above 200 is high. What the heck? I'm younger and watch EVERYTHING I eat!!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh, before the phlebotmist took my blood, she asked me if I ate and I ate a small bag of Atkin's chips before the test, not knowing cause the doctor never told me to "not eat." Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #3

sarahsrose HB User
Re: I eat real healthy, exercise, and got the results from my cholesterol. High?

Hello Jessica!
What your doing is GREAT! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! I know it's frustrating! But Cholestrerol, is also depended on your family! High cholesterol
can run iin your family, and no matter how hard you diet and excersise, you may need help in controlling your cholesterol, through no fault of your own! I to have high cholesterol, and diet and excersise till I'm blue in the face, but mine comes up high to. This may sound corny, I sure don't mean it to sound this way, but we only have the power to control what we can, some things are just out of our control. Keep up the Fantastic efforts your doing to lead a long and healthy life, and it might be that medication is needed to lower your cholesterol, dependoing on what the doctor says. Take care! Sarah

Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

How old were you when you got diagnosed? Do you think eating a small snack like that affected the numbers? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi jessica, whats up..?? im pretty sure its like sarah said that cholestorol runs in the family..yup and, its not your age at all. My singer is 28 just like you and, has cholestorol.. and, also my nephews friend is 13 with cholestorol..hmmm i don't think you should blame yourself for having some and, i know you eat healthy and, watch your intake and, all that stuff..i guess you'r gonna have to get more strict with your diet..sorry..28 is very young..btw/ im 38..lol

Old 11-02-2004, 04:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

First, a cholesterol level of 215 mg/dl is not high, it's perfectly normal. Normal cholesterol levels generally range from 160 to 240 mg/dl. Most labs will flag anything from 200-240 as "borderline high" since government health authorities want everyone to shoot for being in the lower half of the normal range, but 200 is really a meaningless number.

Second, your total cholesterol number alone doesn't really tell you very much. You also need to know your HDL, LDL, and triglyceride levels to get the whole picture. For instance, if you have a high HDL (the good cholesterol), which is a component of the total cholesterol, then your 215 TC reading may be better from a heart disease risk standpoint than another person with a TC of 200 but with a low HDL level. A total cholesterol/HDL ratio of <4.0 is desireable and triglyceride/HDL ratio of <3.0 is desireable, both of which indicate relatively low risk.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just found out today that my HDL is 63, is that good? I didn't get to talk to my doctor but I finally talked to the assistant, I was getting a physical btw and also needed to go back to get shots for a medical exam.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-03-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Hi Jess, 215 is not that high... mine used to be 348 and I dropped it to 170! Yes, your chips could have definately skewed the results and yes, your cholesterol is influenced greatly by your genes. But I do firmly believe that you can control it to some degree.

Your HDL is not bad - usually they want it closer to 80-100... mine hovers at 40 and I can't get it up no matter how hard I try. I am refusing to take a statin because I prefer to avoid meds. I am still working on that. They say there are only 2 things that will raise your HDL - excercise and statin drugs or red yeast extract (a natural statin)

I know you are really good with your diet, etc, but here are some tips for lowering cholesterol just for review:
1. Increase water consumption - drink at LEAST 1/2 your body weight in ounces and more if you can.

2. Limit carb consumption to no more than 50% of calories for the day and within any meal

3. Limit cholesterol intake to no more than 300mg per day. (This means you should not eat 2 eggs together since 1 egg has 180mg of cholesterol and if you do, eat vegetarian the rest of the day)

4. Increase fiber intake to 30g per day.

5. Increase excercise.

6. Omit all chemical additives and preservatives from your diet. Also omit other toxins such as OTC meds, coffee, alcohol, etc. (this has the greatest impact of all!)
The goal is to cleanse your liver which is the control center for metabolism. Your liver is in complete control of how efficiently you metabolize fat. All the steps above improve liver function dramatically, and likely improve your cholesterol levels.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
Your HDL is not bad - usually they want it closer to 80-100...
An HDL level of 80-100 would be flagged as abnormal on most lab reports. That is not a bad thing mind you, it is just a rather lofty target. My recent blood test which showed my HDL to be 73 was marked as HI because it was above 70 mg/dl.

The recommended HDL levels are men>40 mg/dl, women>50 mg/dl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
They say there are only 2 things that will raise your HDL - excercise and statin drugs or red yeast extract (a natural statin)
Who is "They"? "They" forgot dietary fat, in particular saturated and monounsaturated fats, as being beneficial in raising HDL levels.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
I just found out today that my HDL is 63, is that good?
Yes, an HDL level of 63 mg/dl is good. Your Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 215/63 = 3.4 which is in the desirable range (<4.0)

Old 11-03-2004, 11:05 AM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I would't worry about my choleserol one bit Jessica...215 with a high HDL is just fine for a healthy person without other risk factors (like parents who died young of heart disease, diabetes, smoking or obesity.)

As Arkie said, that ratio of 3.4 is BETTER than good!

Last edited by zip2play; 11-03-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6
An HDL level of 80-100 would be flagged as abnormal on most lab reports.
Normal HDL ranges are 35-130 on most lab reports. And while most doctors will flag a 35 as low or high risk - they now want it AT LEAST over 40. But researchers and doctors are now recommending that you aim for 60 or higher. The more research they do, the more they are finding that HDL needs to be higher.

Now resesrchers and doctors are also claiming that it is the LDL/HDL ratio that is more important than any other numbers in reducing cardiac risks. And though an acceptable LDL/HDL ratio is considered 3.5:1, many doctors now want to see a ratios ranging from 2:1 to 1.5:1, especially in woman.

For example, if your LDL is at the high end of normal - 130, a 3.5:1 LDL/HDL ration would result in HDL of only 37... lower than recommended. Using a 1.5:1 ratio, the HDL could be as high as 86.

Quote:
"They" forgot dietary fat, in particular saturated and monounsaturated fats, as being beneficial in raising HDL levels.
Not forgotten, just not as effective in acheiving actual results without effecting the LDL and total cholesterol. Other strategies are far more effective.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I agree that you need to find out what your LDL is too. It needs to be below 130. Yes, the problem probably is that you ate before the test. You are supposed to do a 12 hour fast before taking the blood test, so your doctor will probably recommend another test in about 1 month and don't forget to fast. You might also want to do a food diary in the meantime to find the hidden fat and see exactly how much total dietary fat you are taking in. Then substitute good fats for the bad fats. Salad dressings are one of the worst things you can eat. You should be exercising at least 30-60 min. per day, including aerobic activity.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yes, an HDL level of 63 mg/dl is good. Your Cholesterol/HDL ratio is 215/63 = 3.4 which is in the desirable range (<4.0)
Oh! Is that how they figure it out!? Divide the good hdl by the total, and make sure it's below 4.0, cool!

Old 11-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Closed Thread