It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
question about my mommy

hi there guys..ok so i brought my mommy to her doc bacuz he got her tests back..and, found everything prefect except for her iron level, he said it was low..borderline..he told her to take iron supplements or eat red meat twice a week..filet mignon.. is this ok, she's 74..she looks very good tho.. where else can she get iron from..food sources..

thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: question about my mommy

Dark leafy green vegetables, some nuts like cashews and almonds, dried fruits, iron fortified cereals with at least 25% of the recommended RDA, and I'm sure there are more but unlike red meat, the iron in vegetables is not so readily absorbed. Foods with a lot of vitamin C (like citrus fruits) will help with iron absorption. Eggs (especially the yolks), and tuna fish are very good sources of iron. I think your mother's doctor advised well when he suggested red meat. It's a good idea to include those dark green veggies too. Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite animal is steak.
Fran Lebowitz

Last edited by cookiepls; 11-01-2004 at 11:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Losec,

U.S. law demands that all grain products (rice, pasta, bread) be fortified with iron. For good or ill <only menstruating women can readily get RID of the stuff> it's hard to eat an iron-poor diet in this country.

For SUPER EXTRA DOSES think shellfish and liver...clams are very high!

WARNING: some European studies are implicating circulating levels of ferritin are extremely damaging to cardiac vessels...dont push your mom too hard.

I've thought about givining blood to get rid of some of my iron...but alas, nobody wants it because I had Hepatitis A 30 years ago: ( and have antibodies for HepB as well.)
Anyone have leeches for sale????

Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

One good source of Iron is to take a Liguid Liver Extract pill from Enzyme Therapy with each meal. When I lost half my blood because of chronic diverticular bleeding and was anemic, I found that many food sources of Iron were not readily absorbable by me. It may be because we are all different and when you get older -- you may not have the required digestive system for some foods. I found that I did not absorb the iron fortified in cereal very well if at all.

I also found that the chelated iron that is bonded to a protein amino acid to be one of the best supplements that is readily absorbed if your Mother needs a supplement.

Last edited by Harry; 11-02-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Although iron is one of the most abundant minerals, it is not always easily absorbed in the body, especially in children, women, and those with strict vegetarian diets.

According to a Harvard study, iron deficient anemia affects over a half billion people worldwide which is why so many foods, especially baby formulas are fortified with iron. (Low iron in children has been shown to cause impaired cognitive skills later in life). Some loss of iron is caused by blood loss in the gastrointestinal tract; Pregnancy (where more hemoglobin is needed for the developing baby). Many plant foods impair absorption such as wheat products wich contain phytates (chelators). Decreased acid production, from the use of calcium carbonate (Tums), and other acid blockers taken for acid reflux further reduces the absorption of iron and is likely to to cause iron deficiency. Peptic Ulcers, growth spurts, medications, defects in the gastrointestinal tract such as Meckel's diverticulum, and hereditary disorders. The list of structural, environmental, and dietary causes of iron deficiency could go on and on. Therefore, it is easier than one might think to have an iron poor diet.

I was diagnosed with iron defiency about 12 years ago but didn't experience any ill effects until about 2 years ago when I developed RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). I now take extra iron supplements only when I have a flare up wich is rare.
-------------------------------------------------------
Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them.
Dr. Martin Henry Fischer

Old 11-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

anemia is a symtom of celiac disease..i should know..i think wheat is the culprit for anemia..

Closed Thread