It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Nuts everyday?

I eat peanut butter, cashews, almonds, or some form of nuts everyday. Is this ok? I feel like I shouldn't be eating an apple with peanut butter right now because I had cashews last night, but is that ridiculous?

Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Nuts everyday?

Peanuts are beans, not nuts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

..lol..no its not but, just do it in moderation, i too eat lots of nuts but, i control myself because they are to good and, it is easy to lose control with those..i eat them to especially when driving..lol

ps: they are very fattening..lol

Old 11-03-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Just curious - are you eating theme because you enjoy them, because you think you need the protein/fat, or because you are craving them?

Old 11-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I am eating them because I enjoy them (especially almonds, cashews, and peanut butter!!) and because I crave them, also.

I usually measure out a shot glass full of peanut butter to eat with my apple, but I was wondering how much that is? Most serving sizes for PB are in tablespoons. How many servings are in a typical shot glass?

Old 11-03-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah jdi.. i crave them too sometimes, why??

Old 11-03-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Can anyone answer my previous question about the shot glass-size serving of peanut butter????

Old 11-04-2004, 02:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Can anyone answer my previous question about the shot glass-size serving of peanut butter????
I am guessing that it is 2-3 tablespoons. As a comparison, 1/4 cup is 4 tablespoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
yeah jdi.. i crave them too sometimes, why??
Quote:
I am eating them because I enjoy them (especially almonds, cashews, and peanut butter!!) and because I crave them, also.
Specific food cravings can mean several different things, especially with peanuts and peanut butter.

In general, craving a specific food often signifies that you are developing a food sensitivity and/or allergy to that food. That DOES NOT mean that you will swell or break out in hives - it DOES mean that you may not feel well, get a headache, have digestion problems, or other mild symptoms if you eat too much of that food. The best way to avoid this from happening is to limit your consumption of that food to only once every 4-5 days.

Food cravings can also point to a specific deficiency - vitamins, minerals, proteins, essential fatty acids, etc. In the case of peanuts - they are quite high in potassium, magnesium, and Omega 6 fatty acids.

Strangely, sometimes cravings occur because you are deficient in something that is NOT in the food you are craving, but your body sends a confused signal. It's not really possible to identify the cause without a lot of trial and error. Usually, this is not the case with peanuts.

I have a problem with peanuts and peanut butter because I do not think they are all that valuable nutritionally. Yes, they have the potassium, magnesium, and Omega 6 fatty acids, but they are extremely high in calories, fat and they do tend to be an addictive and allergy-triggering food - and you can get those same nutrients in other foods.

I also recommend that you read your labels on ALL peanut products - jars and cans of peanuts often contain high amounts of sodium, sugar, added starch, and chemical additives. Peanut butter is the same, but usually even higher in sugar. All natural peanut butter is a better choice (freshly ground), but still - make sure you KNOW what is in the source peanuts - no point in grinding peanuts that are loaded with sugar and additives.

My recommendation to anyone who is truly craving peanuts on a daily basis - leave them behind for 1 week and see what happens. Then after a week, load up on them - if you get any symptoms or feel sick at all, don't ever eat them again.

Personally, I have completely omitted peanuts from my diet.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

I also eat a lot of nuts for weight gain (I'm an ectomorph). The majority of the fat in nuts is unsaturated or monounsaturated. However, are there any negative effects (besides weight gain) from eating so much of these "healthy" fats?

Last edited by Andrew29; 11-07-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I heard that if you eat 10 raw almonds a day or 1 tablespoon of p/b, that you would get enough protein. They reccommend that for people like me who don't eat that much meat.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
A shot glass is either 1, 1.5, or 2 oz (depending on which one you have)

Assuminmg you have the largest, 2oz = 4 tbls

4 tbs peanut butter = 350 calories

Thats a hell of a lot of calories!!

Old 12-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

If you're going to eat peanut butter you should eat the raw or unprocessed variety. Theres a popular brand (skippy or something - its in a glass jar, not plastic) in regular grocery stores that contains no additional oil, fat, or sugar. Its really good. Tastes no different.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

That IS a lot of calories, but I still eat it and I'm not getting fat....sooooo, I guess I'll keep doing it...
I still think there is something to be said about calories/fat from nuts. They are DIFFERENT!

Old 12-12-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i think its more likely that rather craving peanuts for their magnesium content (other nuts are a better source, such as brazil nuts) or omega 6 (people in the west consume far more omega 6 than they realise so most are not deficient) its down to a craving for protein/fat and b-vits. are you stressed? its just that stressed people tend to crave nuts far more than those who are calm, hence craving a food very rich in b-vits. maybe its the tryptophan in particular in regards to the protein. nuts are very good source and this amino acid is the precursor to serotonin, which can balance the mood of a stressed person.

Closed Thread