It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
White rice or Brown rice

hey guys, i just was down in the cholesterol forum and, read up on this..Is it true that rice has very little nutrtional value..why?? when i make my rice i always add stuff to it like veggies, fruits, chicken, beef cubes..stuff like that..am i doing the right thing..?? I eat it quite often.. ??? lost now..

Old 11-03-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: White rice or Brown rice

It's true- white rice has very little nutritional value. Brown rice is definitely the better choice because it has more vitamins and a lot more fiber. Also, it is digested more slowly (because it is not stripped like white rice) and so it will not spike your blood sugar.
Mixing brown rice with vegetables and meats like you said you do is very healthy. But as a general rule, don't make rice the center of your meals...especially not white rice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 04:13 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Americans have a distorted view of "nutritional value." Much of the world's population cannot get enough calories (food) to thrive healthily. To them rice has VERY MUCH nutritional value. Americans have been trained by a couple of industries to think that only high protein or high vitamin content have "nutritional value." Or that foods that don't cost a lot aren't good for you...that's called MARKETING!

Remember the concept of the "staff of life" being bread in the West and rice in the East isn't the stuff of fiction. In the famines of years gone by (and ongoing in Africa), it was the GRANERIES that meant the difference between starvation and survival, not the BUTCHER SHOPS.

So Losec, if you take your daily vitamin pill, enjoy your rice any way that you think it tastes best, with or without added veg.
Half the world will agree with your nutritional choice.

If you have ANY source of B-vitamins (like your vitamin pilland a little extra fiber ), white rice is as good as brown...but choose for taste. In any case any rice sold in the U.S. MUST be enriched with added-back B-vitamins and iron. Eat whichever you LIKE better.

Last edited by zip2play; 11-04-2004 at 04:18 AM.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I second it Ziptoplay. Ziptoplay is correct. We're an Amer/Asian family....Yes, we are skinnny as well. There's an old Chinese saying that "One bowl of rice equals 1 drop of blood," this means that you better eat your rice or you will be very malnurished. We always make sure to eat our rice, especially if we just had a blood test. Lowering cholesterol is all about balance and not what you eat, but how much you eat. What is your daily menu like?

Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi zip.. i do take my vitamines everyday(morning).. so then can i eat my rice recipes with peace of mind..??? have it like three times a week..

Old 11-04-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

There's nothing wrong with eating it 3 times/week. You can have it everyday at supper and it's still fine. The thing is how much and what else are you eating? Rice alone is not going to raise your cholesterol. Being overweight, genes, and a diet high in sat. fat will put you at a higher risk for high cholesterol. You might want to consider having salmon occationaly for supper too.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi magpie..yes i also have fish like twice a week..and, i just mix my rice up with stuff..like i said veggies, meat, chicken..good stuff like that..always with home made tomatoe suace and, home made spices..heh i mostly have the brown rice from uncle bens..

Old 11-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hi, Looks like a well rounded diet. The only thing that I would causion you on would be to watch out for trans. fats in stuff like margarine and snacks. Also, watch what type of meat you eat. Don't eat chuck or cheap cuts. Only buy pork and beef that says "lean," "round," or "loin" and don't eat the dark meat of the chicken or turkey. Keep it all to single servings except on the fruits and veggies. (You can eat as much of those as you want.)

Old 11-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey, its me..
i only buy good lean meat..why the single servings..???

Old 11-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Single servings, because everything doubles up the more servings you have. If you have a nice lean serving of eye round, that would be around 9 g. of total fat and 150 cal. If you eat 2 servings, you now have 18 g. of total fat and 300 cal. That means that you are now double digiting on the total fat, so it's no longer lean/low-fat. I'm sure you won't be sitting down to just the beef alone, so you'll need to add in your rice, what's on the rice, and what's on the vegies. Added calories can mean added weight gain. A single serving of meat is the size of your palm. Of course you need to figure out how many cal. you should be taking in, so you might be able to get away with a double serving of meat and I can't. That's what happened to the low-fat prepared food crazy. People ate too much at one time instead of sticking to single servings and gained weight on the stuff.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi magie..
im on this new gluten free diet and, suffered all my life from being under weight and, i mean under weight..so now that my body is finally absorbing the good foods i eat, im finally putiing on the weight that my body needs bacuz it starved for like ever..so i need to eat alot..so for me double portions or triple portions is just fine for now..with excersizing as well..

ciao
thanks

Old 11-06-2004, 05:02 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Mario, I eat brown rice almost every day. I agree with zip's post - the definition of "nutritional value" has become somewhat distorted.

Brown rice is a complex carbohydrate that does contain some nutrients and fiber. Even more important, it is filling and enables you to balance a meal in a natural way. I favor rice over bread which is loaded with sugar and preservatives.

Closed Thread