It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
(male)

becksA HB User
Best way to control carb cravings (especially at night)

I work out HARD, as you may have seen in my previous posts...Usually twice a day. I do cardio and weights....probably more cardio than weights. I generally have a huge craving for large amounts of carbs....
i.e. Today is 'Bagel Day' at our house....I had 6 halves....(could have had more!)...and every night an hour or so before bed i have 2 or sometimoes even 3 big bowls of cereal....I cannot control it. I do however have a moderately small diet throughtout the day to try and make up for that, I think it may play part of the reason I have those cravings.

Is there something I can eat more of during the day that will cut down on this? Will lots of added protein, say at lunch, cut down on my nighttime cravings? Help! People say I'm thin....but when I consider how much I workout, I would like to see much better results in the mirror. I owe it all to those late night bowls of cereal...etc..!

Old 11-07-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: Best way to control carb cravings (especially at night)

If you are working out two times a day, you definitely deserve those carbs! However, what if you had one of your bagels for breakfast and then wholewheat bread for lunch instead of 3 bagels all at once? Or cereal as a snack midday or for breakfast instead of right before you go to bed. I think that not only will you probably eat less of those things if you do this, you will probably feel better. Are you eating enough during the day? A lot of the time late night carb cravings reflect pour eating during the day that backfires.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
(male)

becksA HB User

I'm pretty sure that's what's causing it....during the day (weekdays anyway) I'm busy at work and not constantly walking through a fully stocked kitchen! So I have a light breakfast on my way out, usually nothing till lunch, then I have usually a piece of bread with peanut butter (to try and get some protein)...some carrots and dip, a piece of fruit, some fruit and nut mix. I only drink water throughout the day...or diet coke here and there. After that, no more food until my way out of work around 5 when I have another something light like a banana, or granola bar on my way to the next workout. When I get home from that, I have a big dinner...until I'm full. problem is, within 1 or 2 more hours max, I get those cravings bigtime, and honestly, cannot control them! What can I eat more of during the day?

At the gym I see all these protein bars they sell...Is that supposed to suppresss cravings like this? Should I look into those?

Old 11-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Wow, you are definitely not eating enough during the day! Are you trying to eat very little because it seems to me you would be hungry only having a piece of bread with peanut butter, carrots, and trail mix. Instead of eating very little in the morning and then gradually eating more and more (like a pyramid), try eating more in the morning and then eating less at night (like an upside down pyramid). For breakfast, have some eggs, toast and juice. Lunch could be a turkey sandwich, tuna salad, burrito, whatever! But it needs to be more than bread with peanut butter. I guarantee that if you start increasing your calories during the day, you will ward off those late night carb cravings.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

like LS said you are not eating enough..i would be dead by now..i think you should look into those protien bars..

Closed Thread