It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

becksA HB User
Protein Shake Drink - Tried 1st time today what's it all about?!?!

As some of you may now know, I workout usually twice daily. At lunch I do a cardio workout, and after work I do weights. Today on my way out of my lunchtime workout, I noticed, when picking up a sandwich, a canned drink with 35 grams of protein (70% daily value).....I drank it on the way back to work. Is tyhis helpful in controlling my late night cravings...or helping me tone my body....
Is there a certain time I should drink it? Before or after, or which workout - cardio or weights?? I know nothing about this stuff.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Protein Shake Drink - Tried 1st time today what's it all about?!?!

Becks-

Protein is one of the main muscle builders, all proteins are composed of amino acids- the building blocks of proteins. So a good protein shake can be important in helping increase lean mass - the reason this is good is more lean massyou have the more calories you will burn to support it - Dont have the fear of getting too big (as many women do) that just doesnt happen unless you add male hormones. As far as how much protein you need that is in debate but, I find 1 to 1.5 grams per lean pound a good number (many will say this is high) and best case is you divide that to 5-6 meals a day.

As far as timing of the shake I would drink after the weight workout - this is a easily digestable protein that will absorb right away and that is when you will need it most

As far as cravings - probably wont stop that -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 05:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
As far as cravings - probably wont stop that -
BecksA, Actually, based on all the other posts, it most likely will help with your cravings. As many of us have mentioned to you in other posts, you have not been eating a balanced diet and have not been eating enough during the day. Adding protein and calories earlier in the day will help to stabilize your metabolism.

Regarding the protein shake - how many carbs are in it? How much sugar? I just caution you because there are many products out there that are loaded with garbage and they may make your feel worse. I recommend that you choose more natural sources of protein, like fresh lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, legumes, etc. Soy is wonderful source of protein and in fact many protein shakes and bars are made with soy protein. Just check the ingredients and be sure you are not eating a huge sugar load.

Also don't expect results immediately. You need to give it time. This will be a process, not an immediate cure. Focus on eating more during the day - distribute your calories evenly from morning through evening so that your body is never starving for the next feeding. Eat a smaller dinner and plan for an evening snack or small meal. Do this, and you cravings will be gone in about 2-4 weeks.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I find that a high protein day really makes me want to ignore most of the usual temptations.
So put me down for a vote on a decrease in the night-time craving.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
(male)

becksA HB User

Hey, apparently I've lost this post, luckily I found it again. A couple weeks ago I changed my workout schedule to weights at lunch and cardio after work because now I'm up to 45 - 60 minutes for that. I've changed my diet as well, in terms of supplements to try and calm that night craving. I have a light breakfast, lately it's been a lite protein shake (testing the waters there), healthy turkey sandwich wrap on the way out of my lunchtiume weights workout, and an average-sized well balanced dinner. I have a protein bar twice a day, in between breakfast and lunch, in between lunch and dinner. Although every once in a while I sitll have the odd night where I crave, (last night after dinner had 2 bowls of cereal, and a bowl of ice cream!, but my diet that day skipped the mid-morning snack, ONLY a chef salad at lunch, only half a shake in the afternoon). Otherwise spreading out the protein shakes and bars in between meals really sems to have helped! Knock on wood, it's stil early.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Good to hear this strategy is working. The bottom line is that the more you eat, the less you want to - because you are eating to avoid hunger, not because you are hungry.

I recommend that if you do still get occassional cravings at night, try to temper them with something a bit less carb-heavy and higher in protein. For example, instead of cereal or ice cream (very carb heavy) have a sandwich with lean meat and/or cheese. Or have some cottage cheese with pineapple. Or try an Amy's burrito or veggie burger (these products do have carbs but have a nice balance of protein and are VERY filling!).

Closed Thread