It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

TabbyDog HB User
So, I've decided to make some changes to my diet... Any advice?

Well, I've decided that I really need to start eating healthier-- as of now, I really don't eat any actual meals, I get like a Junior hamburger at Wendy's every day at luch (it's really awful, I know... but for someone who can only afford 2 bucks a day for lunch for something that is really not any less healthy than the lunch they serve at school or something from the vending machines, I figure it's my best option for now) and when I get home, my dad's too busy to cook anything for dinner, my brother hates to cook, and I'm usually busy or preoccupied with something to make any food.

The problem is, it's really taking a toll on my health, and I think it shows. It's effecting me, in that it makes me feel really fatigued and just kinda cruddy overall. I think that just my overall appearance just doesn't look as healthy as it could, I'm a quite skinny person as it is, due to an over active metabolism (and, I know, not eating right ), and that topped with not eating right just makes me look really not very good. My skin isn't horrible, but I feel that it could really improve its look with a healthier diet. And last, but not least, I have trouble breathing and heart troubles anyways, I think this could partially be improved by a better diet (I've had many tests done to find out what is wrong, but no one has been able to find out what's wrong. We figure it's a heart murmur, that's what my mom has, and I have about all the symptoms she has, she says that she doesn't have as many problems with it when she doesn't drink a lot of caffine-or any at all for that matter-- and nasty food like that)

So, I've decided to try a healthier diet to see if any of these conditions improve at all. I want to start eating fruit for breakfast (I have probably had breakfast 5 times tops since school started, but the past week have started eating a bit of fruit before I leave for school) having something healthier for lunch, regular meals for dinner, and to drink more water. Right now, I really don't drink much soda, probably once a week and water is really all I drink, but I don't drink it as often as I probably should. I also want to take pictures as I go along to see if anything on the outside improves.

Alright, now, if I still have people reading this-- I know it's long, but bare with me here I was wondering if anyone had any specific advice as to what I could make for dinner, what I could do during the day to help, or anything else, or if you know of any good websites, that would be swell!

Anyways, thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 05:06 AM   #2

ManjaRobinsky HB User
Re: So, I've decided to make some changes to my diet... Any advice?

Tabbydog.
As long as you try and eat green, orange and red veggies and at least 1 fruit a day you can add that to whole grain bread and nice cream cheese or even a can of tuna it will start to make up for all of your basic diet needs. And try Fresh oranges for Vitamine C and some nuts like almonds they are great for you... Stay healthy.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Hi,
Well you could choose lean cuts of meat like chicken, beef, fish and pork. Take snacks to school with you like an apple, orange, banana, grapes, nuts, granola bars, celery with peanut butter, and/or a v8 juice etc. Maybe pack a lunch like a turkey sandwich on wheat bread, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For dinner, you could eat a salad, and some steamed veggies and brown rice with your meat. Try to choose wheat over white, like brown rice, wheat bread, wheat crackers, triscuits. Cereals are also a good choice for the morning like something that's high in fiber, and invest in getting some flaxseeds because they are loaded with fiber and good omega 3's, not to mention magnesium, vitamin e, etc. You can get flax at your local health food store and if you do a search on this site, and type in flaxseeds, or even google it, you'll find out how to store them and prepare them. It's advised to grind them in a coffee grinder. I got mine for like 12$ at wall mart. You may want to invest in some fish oil too which is really good for your skin (same with flax) and is good for the brain and heart. Oh, I forgot to mention that yogurt is good for you, and since your thinner, I would pick full fat yogurt and you can even sprinkle some flax in that! And to add more weight to you, you can add some nut butters to the mix. You can use olive oil and vinegar to your salads because olive oil is great for the skin too. Also, strength training can also help you look good with a little aerobics and perhaps some yoga. You can find great deals on amazon for finding used videos. They are usually half off! Hope this helps!

Last edited by Jess75; 11-13-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

TabbyDog HB User

Alright, thanks, guys!

I've been eating salads at lunch and dinner, and snacking on fruit instead of chips and things. My mom makes cookies with flax seed in them all the time (she won't make 'em with out it) and sends them over all the time... they're quite good with it! Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyDog
Well, I've decided that I really need to start eating healthier-- as of now, I really don't eat any actual meals, I get like a Junior hamburger at Wendy's every day at luch (it's really awful, I know... but for someone who can only afford 2 bucks a day for lunch for something that is really not any less healthy than the lunch they serve at school or something from the vending machines, I figure it's my best option for now) and when I get home, my dad's too busy to cook anything for dinner, my brother hates to cook, and I'm usually busy or preoccupied with something to make any food.

The problem is, it's really taking a toll on my health, and I think it shows. It's effecting me, in that it makes me feel really fatigued and just kinda cruddy overall. I think that just my overall appearance just doesn't look as healthy as it could, I'm a quite skinny person as it is, due to an over active metabolism (and, I know, not eating right ), and that topped with not eating right just makes me look really not very good. My skin isn't horrible, but I feel that it could really improve its look with a healthier diet. And last, but not least, I have trouble breathing and heart troubles anyways, I think this could partially be improved by a better diet (I've had many tests done to find out what is wrong, but no one has been able to find out what's wrong. We figure it's a heart murmur, that's what my mom has, and I have about all the symptoms she has, she says that she doesn't have as many problems with it when she doesn't drink a lot of caffine-or any at all for that matter-- and nasty food like that)

So, I've decided to try a healthier diet to see if any of these conditions improve at all. I want to start eating fruit for breakfast (I have probably had breakfast 5 times tops since school started, but the past week have started eating a bit of fruit before I leave for school) having something healthier for lunch, regular meals for dinner, and to drink more water. Right now, I really don't drink much soda, probably once a week and water is really all I drink, but I don't drink it as often as I probably should. I also want to take pictures as I go along to see if anything on the outside improves.

Alright, now, if I still have people reading this-- I know it's long, but bare with me here I was wondering if anyone had any specific advice as to what I could make for dinner, what I could do during the day to help, or anything else, or if you know of any good websites, that would be swell!

Anyways, thanks for any help!
The second you wake, have a big glass of water.

For breakfast think protein. Have something like scrambled eggs with some wholegrain toast or a small can of baked beans (sugar free) on toast. Or you could try some plain yoghurt (put it in a bowl so you can mix it up) add a handful of cut up fruit pieces and maybe top it off with some chopped nuts (almond/hazelnut etc). Also try some hot oatmeal - don't use the instant stuff coz it has so much sugar, try the traditional variety as it only takes 5 minutes. I cook mine with rice milk as i like to avoid dairy. Weird though it sounds, try soup for breakfast!! I often eat soup for breakfast!! Either I'll have a protein rich soup like black bean or lentil or some miso with big chunks of tofu. I have a Japanese friend who eats broiled fish and rice with miso soup for breakfast!! It sounds strange but having a protein rich breakfast is MUCH better than the usual American breakfast of bagels, muffin, cereals and coffee with is just FULL of sugar.

In regards to lunch and dinner, what kind of things do you like/dislike? What are you willing to try? What is your budget? Do you dad buy groceries? Are you willing to cook actual meals?

You can't go wrong with soup. Its cheap, easy to make and will last for a week in the fridge. Sandwiches are fine as long as you use healthy whole grain bread instead of theat preservative l***** crap they have in the supermarket. For the filling, use leftover chicken from the night before, or cheese, lettuce and tomato or add a little mayo and thinly sliced onion to tuna and make a sandwich with that.

Check out websites like epicurious that has not only recipes for reviews for recipes. If you're into vegetarian cuisine, try vegweb - thats great too.

Eating well IS a huge pain in the *** - but once you get into a routine, you'll forget how you used to eat and feel much better for it.

Good luck.

Closed Thread