It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
(male)

xghostsniperx HB User
Need some help with big changes in my diet+exercise

I've been noticing I have less energy and am getting more acne, I'm more tired and I'm getting a little bigger. I've analzyed my diet and exercise and let me say it's not very good...

I'm posting my eating habits but I'm also posting my exercise+acne problems, if anyone could help with that.

Eating Habits
=============
Breakfast: Usually a bowl of cereal and a granola bar, sometimes chocolate chip muffins--but it varies

Lunch: Hot pretzel, 2 Cookies, 1 brownine, 1 small can of pringles, 1 carton of milk

Dinner: Whatever we have, usually some kind of meat with side dishes like Potatoes, gravy, corn, stuffing, whatever

I've noticed though that I hardly EVER eat fruits or vegetables. I've gotta start that. And my lunch is absolutely terrible at school. Can you guys help me out with my diet?

Exercise Habits
=================
The sad thing is, these are almost non-existent. I'm 15, and I play a lot of video games. With my diet and my total lack of exercise, you'd think I'd be really fat. Well, I'm quite skinny. I just come home, do my homework, and play video games for 4 hours. I love to do it--I just don't think it's healthy. My dad has a stationary bike, a tredmill and a gazelle-type stair stepper thing. I wonder if I should work on those a few hours a week.

Acne problems
=================
I've been on a pill 2x a day, Clyndomiacin, and a cream once every night, Retin-A Micro. I use Cetaphil to moisturize my face. The problem is, my acne isn't going away and my face is SO dry and peely. I constantly have to walk into the bathroom and make sure my face isn't peeling because it looks so gross. Plus my face is really red.

I'm wondering if I should just ask my Dermatologist if I should just get off the meds since they're causing more problems than helping.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Need some help with big changes in my diet+exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by xghostsniperx
I've been noticing I have less energy and am getting more acne, I'm more tired and I'm getting a little bigger. I've analzyed my diet and exercise and let me say it's not very good...

I'm posting my eating habits but I'm also posting my exercise+acne problems, if anyone could help with that.

Eating Habits
=============
Breakfast: Usually a bowl of cereal and a granola bar, sometimes chocolate chip muffins--but it varies

Lunch: Hot pretzel, 2 Cookies, 1 brownine, 1 small can of pringles, 1 carton of milk

Dinner: Whatever we have, usually some kind of meat with side dishes like Potatoes, gravy, corn, stuffing, whatever

I've noticed though that I hardly EVER eat fruits or vegetables. I've gotta start that. And my lunch is absolutely terrible at school. Can you guys help me out with my diet?

Exercise Habits
=================
The sad thing is, these are almost non-existent. I'm 15, and I play a lot of video games. With my diet and my total lack of exercise, you'd think I'd be really fat. Well, I'm quite skinny. I just come home, do my homework, and play video games for 4 hours. I love to do it--I just don't think it's healthy. My dad has a stationary bike, a tredmill and a gazelle-type stair stepper thing. I wonder if I should work on those a few hours a week.

Acne problems
=================
I've been on a pill 2x a day, Clyndomiacin, and a cream once every night, Retin-A Micro. I use Cetaphil to moisturize my face. The problem is, my acne isn't going away and my face is SO dry and peely. I constantly have to walk into the bathroom and make sure my face isn't peeling because it looks so gross. Plus my face is really red.

I'm wondering if I should just ask my Dermatologist if I should just get off the meds since they're causing more problems than helping.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
Like I just said in another post similar to yours, get a good quality cereal, maybe pack a turkey sandwich or pbj for lunch on wheat bread. Take some celery with peanut butter with you or some nuts, an orange, grapes, apple, banana, yogurt, or v8 juice for convenience. You may want to invest in flaxseeds, which are real good for the skin and brain, and have beneficial oils like omega 3's which are real healthy. Fish oil is also a good choice for an omega 3 supplement which both fish oil and flax are wonderful for the skin. Try to switch to whole grain breads and cereals. You could eat some steamed veggies with your dinner, brown rice etc. Salads are also a good way to get some veggies with olive oil and vinegar because olive oil is real good for the skin. Try cardio exercise because that helps you sweat out toxins which can also be good for your skin. I used to have real bad acne when I was your age and it's probably hormonal. Don't worry, you'll probably grow out of it. Maybe modifying your diet could help because I didn't eat healthy when I was your age, but my acne did go away as I got older. If you eat well, your energy levels will soar. Oh, and water water water!!!Hope this helps!

Last edited by Jess75; 11-13-2004 at 04:38 PM.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Normally I would say that teenage acne is often caused by hormonal imbalances. But in your case, there is no question in my mind that your diet is contributing to the problem. Skin health is acheived from the inside out and if your internal health is poor there is no pill or cream that will clear up your acne... in fact these might very well be making things worse.

To give you some perspective, think of your skin as one of your body's vital organs. Your skin excretes toxins from the inside - generally speaking, accute skin problems indicate an excessive level of toxicity in the body. So what causes toxicity? Lots of things - excessive hormone production (which for you is just an age factor), most junk food including chemical additives and preservatives, processed sugar, excessive fat intake, alcohol, and drugs (including prescriptions, OTC, and recreational). Additionally, vitamin and mineral deficiencies can elevate your toxic load, because these substances which normally assist the body in eliminating toxins are missing.

First and foremost, I recommend that you start off by eliminating ALL junk from your diet. Think natural. Eat fresh foods - for example, fresh meats, veggies, whole grains, and fruit. Increase fiber. Absolutely omit all cookies, brownies, cakes, candy, and ANYTHING chocolate... there IS scientific evidence that chocolate does contribute to acne (for several reasons) - this is not a myth. This may not be the case with you, but milk and dairy products can contribute to accute skin conditions for many people including acne, dandruff, eczema, rashes, etc. I would recommend that you completely omit all dairy from your diet for a period of 2 weeks and see if you notice any improvement.

More specifically, you need to add some protein and nutrients to your breakfast and lunch. Since I am recommending that you omit milk (at least for a while) you might want to have some oatmeal with fruit and a piece of lean meat. For lunch - any type of sandwich with lettuce and meat (but skip the cheese) or PB&J or even some pasta with sauce with meat if available in your school. Carry some raw veggies, fruit, and nuts with you for snacks.

I don't think you need to worry about calories right now. You just need to "clean up" your diet. It would't hurt to give up the video games for a while, but I doubt that is really contributing to your problem.

I also think you should have a discussion with your dermotologist - tell him that you are unhappy with your progress and that you would like to know if there are any natural things you can do to improve the health of your skin.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

JDmissimo and Jessicca's advice are both good, so I would take all of their thoguhts into consideration. But I dont think you necessarily need to elminiate ALL junkfood!! I mean, you are a teenager and it wouldnt exactly be a normal thing to do if you didnt ever eat chips or pop or pizza or whatnot. Just try to substitute some of your choices for healthier ones, like fruits/veggies, yogurt, nuts, etc. You can have "junk" food once in a while, but dont LIVE off of it! And although your diet may contribute somewhat to your acne, you are 15, so it is primarily teen hormones that are playing a role. Drink lots of water, try to incorporate activity when you can- give up an hour of video games for an hour of playing outside (soccer, hockey, walking, playground- anything!).

Just for perspective, I am a teen too and dont really excersise. I also eat junk foods, but not ONLY junk- I have usually 2-3 servings per day, plus I drink water and milk mostly, MAYBE a couple diet pops a week/month, and I definately have at least 3 fruits and 3-4 veggies a day. My skin isnt horrible, but it isnt perfectly clear (mind you lately its been better). I use a topical cream to help zap zits lol. I havent completely eliminated bad foods, or made sure that everything is balanced or banned chocolate or chips or whatever. I just make sure when I can I choose healthy things, and I try not to have a LOT of junk everyday!

Hope this helps you- dont worry too much about everything- you still are a teen and your body IS changing. Make some healthier choices and you'll be great!

Old 11-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
(male)

xghostsniperx HB User

Alright, thanks everyone. I play soccer+tennis but they both are either over or haven't started yet.

I've been exercising for an hour the last two days, I hope it'll help a little.

Today is also my last day of a few things or I will be changing:

1. I'm changing my diet. I'm trying to incorperate more fruits+vegetables. I really need some suggestions for fruit though. I like apples, but I can't stand bananas or oranges. Grapes also aren't exactly my thing. Any suggestions?

2. I'm trying to get more sleep, although it's kind of tough because I usually don't go to bed until 10:30 and now I'm starting to go to bed at 9:30. Maybe this will help a bit.

3. Today is my last day of masturbation. I hope it's ok to sort of talk about because well, these ARE health boards. Thing is, whenever I masturbate 2x a day for two weeks, I have a ton of acne. Whenever I don't do it at all, my face is clearer.

So, anyone have any comments/suggestions?

Old 11-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Whoe Nelly! That looks like a full fledged junk food diet to me. Why is your lunch nothing but junk food? Anyhow; since you are thin, you might be better off investing in a cheap set of dumb-bells to build up some muscle. I'd revamp your whole diet. Basically think of it as having 1 protien, 1 starch, and 2 veggies or 1 veggie and 1 fruit for every meal. Your breakfast sounds like you wake up hungry.

BKF - OJ, cereal with whole milk, 1 fruit

Lunch - Juice/milk, 1 sandwich, 1 fruit, 1 junk food (Junk food isn't necessary, but it's just to keep you from thinking you're being deprived and so you don't look like a health nut and get picked on by the other kids.)

Supper - Juice/water, whatever your mom cooks and add an extra fruit, salad or veggie

Snack - 1 serving of whatever you want or beef jerky or fruit or celery and PB

Closed Thread