It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #1

strebend HB User
Any fruitarians out there?

I've been reading about the fruitarian/raw foods way of life - eating mainly fruit, with some beans and nuts for protein - and it sounds like something I might want to try. Advocates claim it gives you plenty of energy, detoxifies, even promotes clear thinking. They don't describe it as a fad diet, either - many people have apparently lived this way for years, feeling healthy and happy.
The idea appeals to me, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has done/is doing this. What's it like? What are the pros and cons? There's a lot of info about fruitarianism on the Web, but I'd like to hear from "real people" who have tried it. Anyone want to share?

Last edited by moderator2; 11-14-2004 at 06:09 PM. Reason: please post on only one board the same message. thank you!

Old 11-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Any fruitarians out there?

the good thing about that, is that you never have to read labels..lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #3

lostgrrl HB User

Hi. I did an 100% fruitarian diet for about 4 months....while it was very enjoyable - I have to tell you I did not feel particularly great on it....you have to be able to get to food all the time, and have tons of fruit available or else you canget really hungry/low blood sugar like issues....I mean I could easily eat 2 pineapples, or 3 mangos, or 2 quarts of strawberries or more at a time...there are so many conflicting theories about how much fat to eat, no avocado, yes avocado, fasting, juicing, all the "gurus" have different theories...I guess everyone's experience is different. I developed a lot of health problems, my hair started to fall out and has not stopped, my thyroid medication, which I have been successfully on for years, suddenly doesn't work right anymore, I gained weight and can't function right anymore - I am going through doctor after doctor now as I have developed extreme fatigue that isn't abaiting....the hair has not stopped falling out - I don't know if the diet/thyroid/hair thing is blamable on the fruit - but it all happened at the same time...I know people say they have had amazing experiences...i didn't - they say you don't need protein from any sources other than fruit and a lot of other things...I don't know....all I know is I'm not enjoying vibrant health and I was doing everything 100% fruit!

The following user gives a hug of support to lostgrrl:
armani2020 (06-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to lostgrrl For This Useful Post:
armani2020 (06-06-2011)
Old 11-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #4

ILikeRats HB User

I have not tried a fruitarian diet, but I understand why someone would do one for spiritual reasons, but don't expect to meet all of your nutritional needs. Vegan, a lot of raw, fine. But I think you need veggies. While I'm not convinced vegans need to worry about getting "complete proteins," there are known combinations, such as beans with corn, that will ensure you get all necessary amino acids. I believe in veganism myself, but you'll really need to start cooking, buying a variety of foods, and eating a real variety everyday, or you won't be healthy. I knew a couple who were really into raw foods. They did eat foods like avocados and cooked a LOT (soups, grains, etc.) They just didn't eat processed foods nor animal products, and they were HEALTHY. I also have a coworker who's trying to do a mostly-raw diet. She looks great. My concern is how to get enough Omega-3. I don't trust flax oil/seeds not to be rancid. You might try vegan message boards such as vegsource.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:41 PM   #5

strebend HB User

Thanks for the input, everyone - it sounds like it might not be as great as advertised. That was a good point about the variety needed to get enough nutrients - to me, the big attraction was that I wouldn't have to think or plan. (That's right, no reading labels!) If I have to start thinking of variety and combinations, it's going to get too complicated. BTW, vegsource was a great tip - lots of good info from unhappy former fruitarians!

Old 11-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

I know a few former fruitarians. They seemed to be okay for a while, but then got sickly. But I know A LOT of healthy vegans (dozens) and am one myself. Fruits don't have significant protein, but other plant foods (vegetables, grains, legumes, and nuts and seeds) all have plenty, so if you are eating enough calories and they come from a variety of plant foods, you won't have a problem getting enough at all.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

A fruit diet is pretty much a sugar diet, albeit in much prettier and tastier packaging.

Fruit is wonderful adjunct to a balanced diet but not so great alone. I guess that's true of all single food approaches.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

javyn HB User

I am a very avid meat eater, and don't plan to stop. But I have been considering replacing all of my carbs with fruit. What do you all think about that diet?

Old 11-26-2004, 06:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think replacing all or most complex carb foods like beans, peas, and grains and starchy vegetables with quick-hit fruit that really provides only glucose and fructose is a bad idea.
The slower digesting starches provide a slow source of energy which is what gets us throught he day without constant hunger.
Sugar pulses will just damage our insulin response.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
I am a very avid meat eater, and don't plan to stop. But I have been considering replacing all of my carbs with fruit. What do you all think about that diet?
Nutritionally, veggies (in general) provide a much wider range of vitamins and nutrients than fruits. Check some relatively detailed nutritional charts, if you have not done so already. (Of course, the berries are little power houses, but mostly what you get from many other is vitamin C and potassium . . . a small amounts of other stuff.)

Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I tried it for about 6 months and ended up with osteoporosis(can't get enough calcium this way)so I ended this diet(it is a diet theory by the way)I enjoyed it cuz I love fruits of al kinds but it was not the healthiest way to live and helath problems DO catch up with ya 20 yrs down the road.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I remember reading somehwere that fruitarian doesn't actually mean only what we call "fruit". That for example some grains are considered fruits (biologically) too.
And then something like a tomato woul;d be a fruit too, right?

But anyway, I agree, I don't think you can get all the nutrients.

Kathrin

Old 12-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrin74
That for example some grains are considered fruits (biologically) too.
And then something like a tomato woul;d be a fruit too, right?
Yup, squash and avocados, too.

Closed Thread