It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #1

MayMande17 HB User
Help! Trying to loose weight in a healthy way

Hi,
I'm a 19 year old college Freshman. During high school I began to battle with eating disorders. I was never diagnosed with one, or saw a doctor or anything like that. Everytime I began to skip meals, I knew that it was wrong, and talked myself out of it. Anyways, enough for the background information. Now, I exercize at least 5 times a week. I do the cardio and the weights. My question has to do with the small meals. I've read that it's better to eat 5 or 6 meals a day. My question is, does one meal consist of one serving size? a half of a serving size? What consitutes a small meal? Clearly, I'm looking for a rough answer because it is dependent on the food, but any input would help. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
(male)

Zshock HB User
Re: Help! Trying to loose weight in a healthy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMande17
Hi,
I'm a 19 year old college Freshman. During high school I began to battle with eating disorders. I was never diagnosed with one, or saw a doctor or anything like that. Everytime I began to skip meals, I knew that it was wrong, and talked myself out of it. Anyways, enough for the background information. Now, I exercize at least 5 times a week. I do the cardio and the weights. My question has to do with the small meals. I've read that it's better to eat 5 or 6 meals a day. My question is, does one meal consist of one serving size? a half of a serving size? What consitutes a small meal? Clearly, I'm looking for a rough answer because it is dependent on the food, but any input would help. Thanks!

I don't know if I had any eating disorders, but I used to eat just 3 meals a day and I would eat a ton of food for each of those meals...I soon found out that, that was the wrong way to go.

Not only did eating so much food at once seem unhealthy, it also seemed to make me very tired throughout the day. I was trying to get back into exercise at the time and it seemed impossible because I always felt exhausted.

So I decided to do some experimenting with the way I ate. I started eating less food per meal, but more meals throughout the day. And man oh man! It seems to have kicked my energy slump. Although I've only been eating this way for about 2 weeks now it seems to be working...I actually have the energy to workout and I don't get tired in the middle of the day like I used to.

My meals look like this...I eat about every 1 1/2-2 hours. I eat one serving of whatever. Like for one meal I'll just have a banana and a glass of milk or water. Then for another I just have one serving of a can of corn with a glass of milk or water. Or a sandwhich. I probably end up eating more than 5-6 meals a day, but I wouldn't really consider the way I eat meals. It's more like constant snacking throughout the day. I eat super small amount often.

One thing you might find difficult about this method is how you have to have something to eat every couple of hours. This method is only for people who have the time to snack every couple of hours, but as far as my energy levels...It seems to work really well for me which is great because I love to exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

sugar_babygirli HB User

^Aren't you always feeling hungry and never satisfied though? :-/

Old 11-20-2004, 07:13 AM   #4
(male)

Zshock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_babygirli
^Aren't you always feeling hungry and never satisfied though? :-/
You mean me? I don't feel hungry all the time. My stomach always has something in it. I put something in it every 1/2-1 hour. It's not always food, sometimes I just drink a big glass of water or a glass of milk or I have a bowl of cereal, veggies, fruits, meat. I know it can be a pain to eat or drink that often, but I find that it keeps my energy levels up and I never feel hungry throughout the day. I guess I just found what works for my body is all. I get plenty of protein, carbs, fruits, and veggies, throughout the day just eat a little bit here and there throughout the day to avoid spiking my blood sugar and because when I used to eat alot all at once I would be exhausted all day and I wouldn't have the energy to even get up and do anything. I have always wondered why I felt so tired and I'm glad that I solved the problem so I can get on with my life.

Old 11-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMande17
Hi,
A small meal is about the size of a clenched fist. If you eat about 4-6 of these small-portioned meals per day (consisting mainly of veggies and protein) you should be eating enough per day (depending on your build of course) Also, a handful of nuts (almonds/cashews/hazelnuts) and a piece or two of fruit wouldn't hurt you either.

Closed Thread