It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
HELP! My husband drinks TOO much Diet RITE soda!

I am worried about my husband because he seems to think that Diet Rite Cola can take the place of his daily need water intake. Can this soda take the place of water? He said that until he sees it in writing that this cola can NOT take the place of water, that he's not going to worry about it. Can someone help me out on this?

Old 11-24-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
(male)

Zshock HB User
Re: HELP! My husband drinks TOO much Diet RITE soda!

I'm not sure of what is in diet rite soda..because I don't have a can right in front of me, don't drink the stuff, but I do know that it is full of chemicals and I believe I read somewhere that sodas can actually dehydrate you. So not only is your husband drinking a boatload of chemicals, those chemicals are also dehydrating him. It just sounds crazy that someone would think that they could drink soda instead of water to get their daily water intake.

After a while of drinking water, you'll eventually find there is nothing quite like a nice refreshing, icecold glass of water.

Even if diet rite soda was safe and not full of chemicals...I still wouldn't use it to get my daily water intake. Only water and foods that have water in them can give you your daily water intake.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Well . . . maybe try to look on the bright side . . . at least DietRite does not have caffeine.

I don't know where you can find it in right (except searching the net some, maybe you can find something he would find authoritative), but my dentist told me that all carbonated beverages (including seltzer) leach some calcium out of your teeth. Also, DietRite does contain phosphoric acid which purportedly leaches nutrients like calcium out of the system (this is the one you can probably find on the net somewhere).

Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
(female)

polaris68 HB User

mmm. I s'pose if you don't have enough water it's bad for you,
but diet rite has water in it? doesn't it? lol.

But at least he's addicted to a "healthier" pop (no caffeine, sugar or sodium). Not like mountain dew or something.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
(male)

Zshock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris68
mmm. I s'pose if you don't have enough water it's bad for you,
but diet rite has water in it? doesn't it? lol.

But at least he's addicted to a "healthier" pop (no caffeine, sugar or sodium). Not like mountain dew or something.
Yea I agree, diet rite is better than your alternatives as far as pop is concerned, but I still think that water is better for you than anything that has been processed and has alot of chemicals in it. Diet rite may have water in it, but there's also alot of other stuff in it....I don't know I just wouldn't replace my daily glasses of water with a soda of any kind...but that's just me.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

singer,

I'm with your husband. Diet Rite is, being more than 99% water counts as his water intake.
Just know that he is getting lots of Splenda, phosphoric acids and a mix of chemicals that are supposed to taste "cola-ish."
Personally, I think it't the singularly WORST tasting of the colas...and always flat to boot. Give me a PepsiONE any day!

Old 11-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #7

African Violet HB User

As far as Diet Rite goes it's one of the better diet sodas because it doesn't have aspartame or caffeine both of which can affect weight loss. It also comes in great flavors for variety. You still need to drink water but if you have to have a diet soda Diet Rite is better than most.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #8

redlightgreen HB User

I am also a Diet Rite addict. I've asked about it at all my Dr appointments and the only response I got was that the it can strip the enamel from your teeth and make your digestive tract more acidic.

I've drank close to 10 cans a day for years and my teeth are great. I've never even had a cavity. I've been told that unless you have acid reflux or an ulcer, having a more acidic stomach is actually helpful... it can help you avoid food poisoning.

The things I do worry about are the amounts of spenda, phosphoric acid, and the possible leaching from the aluminum can. So far though, all my blood tests (and I recently had a pre-surgery CBC) have come back perfect.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Also, DietRite does contain phosphoric acid which purportedly leaches nutrients like calcium out of the system (this is the one you can probably find on the net somewhere).
I've heard that any soda pop leaches calcium from your bones, because of the phosphorus in it. I was addicted to cola for several years. I stopped many years ago, but I have some mild bone loss, and I'm in early middle age. Scary!! That stuff he's drinking may have enough fluid in it to keep him hydrated, but there's nothing quite like plain ol' water. And believe it or not, water can be addictive too!

Old 12-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #10
(female)

JustK HB User

It DOES NOT replace the water your body needs each day just as coffee and tea does not replace it. Splenda is not a natural sweetener. Dr Atkins recommended this cola drink because of the Splenda and no caffeine, but more research on Splenda is proving this is not the healthy sweetener it was thought to be. Stevia Plus is a natural sweetener that has fiber and is actually good for you. Unfortunately, this is not in any cola drinks.

Closed Thread