It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #1

Kiowas72 HB User
Trying to Gain weight!

I'm trying to get stronger and gain weight . perferable all lean muscle mass . but i've been Stuck for the longest time weighting in at about 160 (i'm 5' 11") I eat quite a bit but perhaps i can find some foods that have more calories then what i'm generally eating.

a typical day could be something like
breakfast a shake , milk, some weight gainer powder, berries
or some muffins and fruit
lunch is usually subway, tacobell, or some chineese takeout. (hehehe)
dinner i do much better. meat and pototes plus vegies
and i try to drink a shake before bed.

i also snack on nuts and fruit through out the day. but i don't seem to have a big enough apitite i feel.

i can eat before work though i often don't and i do coffe/ muffins at work at like 9 then i take lunch at 1. and i work out at 5 after work, usually with out any sort of meal. that may be part of my problem ... and i'll eat after my work out . maybe if i had a better and more structured eating schedual ? any help or ideas would be good. thanks.

one thought i had was to try eating a big snack at 11 or 11:30 and taking lunch at 2 hmmmmf.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Trying to Gain weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiowas72
I'm trying to get stronger and gain weight . perferable all lean muscle mass . but i've been Stuck for the longest time weighting in at about 160 (i'm 5' 11") I eat quite a bit but perhaps i can find some foods that have more calories then what i'm generally eating.

a typical day could be something like
breakfast a shake , milk, some weight gainer powder, berries
or some muffins and fruit
lunch is usually subway, tacobell, or some chineese takeout. (hehehe)
dinner i do much better. meat and pototes plus vegies
and i try to drink a shake before bed.

i also snack on nuts and fruit through out the day. but i don't seem to have a big enough apitite i feel.

i can eat before work though i often don't and i do coffe/ muffins at work at like 9 then i take lunch at 1. and i work out at 5 after work, usually with out any sort of meal. that may be part of my problem ... and i'll eat after my work out . maybe if i had a better and more structured eating schedual ? any help or ideas would be good. thanks.

one thought i had was to try eating a big snack at 11 or 11:30 and taking lunch at 2 hmmmmf.
I'm jealous!!!! I wish I can eat and eat and eat!!!! No, but...are you hypothyroid? I'm sorry if you have mentioned it before on this site, I just don't remember.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #3

Lakers2005 HB User

Hello...

If you want to gain muscle, nutrition is 80%. You need to figure out your maintenence level of calories and consume in excess of that number of calories in order to gain weight. You can find a metabolism calculator online somewhere...Google it. Or I'm sure someone on this board will post the formula for you.

Also, you need 5-6 meals throughout the day. They should be well-balanced meals with about 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. Eat calorie-dense foods like Old-fashioned quaker oats and natural peanut butter.

Carbs:

Oatmeal, Yams, Baked Potato, Sweet Potato, Fruits, Veggies

Protein:

Chicken, lean beef/red meat, cottage cheese, salmon, tuna, eggs and egg whites, etc...

Fat:

Nuts (almonds, walnuts), peanut butter, olive oil, flaxseed oil, etc...

Also, consume a lot of skim milk!!!

Basically to build a lot of muscle, you need plenty of protein and carbs. In terms of protein grams, shoot for one gram per pound of bodyweight.

Here is an example meal:

1 cup oats, 1 egg, 6 egg whites, 1 cup skim milk, orange (or OJ)

Just eat, eat, and eat!! I'm currently bulking and have figured that I need about 3300 calories a day to gain a pound of muscle...

It's all about knowing your body and knowing the rules of nutrition and the law of calorie balance.

Hope this advice helps!!

Old 11-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You arent eating a HUGE amount...sure it isnt THAT healthy, but its not poison, and it also isnt a TON.. try eating 3 definite meals and 3 snacks (they can be the shakes, a muffin, crackers and cheese, fruit and nuts, cereal and milk, cookies and milk, ice cream, etc..) You have to remember that gaining weight wont include being hungry for your next meal or snack. It may be unpleasant at first, but youll get used to it...of course DONT eat till youre so full youre SICK! :P...

Hope this helps

Old 11-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

I know it's hard to think of eating that much food at first. I felt the same way; I thought there's no way my appetite can be 3000+ calories/day. Once, you start increasing your calories, your body creates demand for more, so it gets easier and easier. I can now eat over 3000 calories/day if i wanted to. I don't because I don't have enough healthy food variation in my house to do so. But anyway, start eating, and you'll notice you can't stop!

Last edited by Andrew29; 11-25-2004 at 11:18 PM.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #6

a bear HB User

[url]www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001747.html[/url]

Last edited by a bear; 11-27-2004 at 08:05 AM.

Closed Thread