It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 PM   #1

hornet777 HB User
Diet Q

Im 17, Male and 6ft something... Im not exactly fat, but have smallish man boobs. I was wondering how to quickly lose that bit of extra fat in the chest. I do average amounts of excercise, not heaps but i was wondering about eating and when. I can go aaaggeess without eating sometimes, sometimes i dont feel hungry, sometimes i feel hungry but dont think i should eat. My question is, is it better to not eat anything until your really hungry? Or is it better to have lots of smallish meals?

e.g. I can eat no breakfast, no recess, eat lunch, and then wait till dinner or whatever to eat again. Im usually getting pretty hungry sometimes, but can withstand it. I fear that this might slow down my metabolism too much though, and i wont lose that extra weight at all, and then when i start eating normal again ill put it on?

Is it better to eat a little breakfast, a little lunch, little afternoon tea and little dinner or what? (even though that means eating a lot more than usual)?

Im confused.. plz help =)

*btw - i know this is not the weight loss seciton, but i think this relates more to diet

Last edited by hornet777; 11-24-2004 at 10:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Diet Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet777
Im 17, Male and 6ft something... Im not exactly fat, but have smallish man boobs. I was wondering how to quickly lose that bit of extra fat in the chest. I do average amounts of excercise, not heaps but i was wondering about eating and when. I can go aaaggeess without eating sometimes, sometimes i dont feel hungry, sometimes i feel hungry but dont think i should eat. My question is, is it better to not eat anything until your really hungry? Or is it better to have lots of smallish meals?

e.g. I can eat no breakfast, no recess, eat lunch, and then wait till dinner or whatever to eat again. Im usually getting pretty hungry sometimes, but can withstand it. I fear that this might slow down my metabolism too much though, and i wont lose that extra weight at all, and then when i start eating normal again ill put it on?

Is it better to eat a little breakfast, a little lunch, little afternoon tea and little dinner or what? (even though that means eating a lot more than usual)?

*btw - i know this is not the weight loss seciton, but i think this relates more to diet
My question is, is it better to not eat anything until your really hungry? Or is it better to have lots of smallish meals?(can't get that nice backround, any suggestions)
Actually, it's not good to be really hungry, I used to do the same thing you do too. You ARE slowing down your metabolism because your body has a natural mechanism of hanging on to fat stores, in case you don't eat, which slows down the metabolism, in this case, making it harder to LOSE weight. Like many others believe, I would break my meals up into about 6 small ones daily and choose healthy, lowfat options. For example, a good high fiber cereal, a turkey/tuna/chicken/sandwich on wheat bread (try mustard or light mayo), celery and peanut butter, fat free pretzels, yogurt, cantelope, apple, a good energy bar, shake, etc, etc. You have to find out what low fat snacks your able to eat, and pack them with you. Don't starve yourself, just choose an apple or whole wheat crackers or something when you get hungry, and don't eat too may crackers!

Last edited by Jess75; 11-25-2004 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

razzelspaz HB User

Quote:

Hey there. It sounds like you aren't happy with your body in it's current state. Losing the fat in your chest depends on your body type and where your body is most likely to store fat. It also depends on your height, weight, and BMI. If you are eating healthily, are not overweight for your body type, height, and age, AND you exercise, your case may be more genetic/biological, making it harder to lose weight in that area. I don't think it's impossible, though.

As far as your eating habits go, as well as your questions, you shouldn't wait until you are really hungry to eat. This sets you up to overeat in the long run, because you've allowed yourself to become so hungry, that you intake more food than you really need. As far as eating smaller meals, more frequently, when trying to lose weight, I think it's best to listen to the internal signals of your body to determine when you should eat and when you shouldn't. That can be hard at first, but it becomes easier with time. You shouldn't "withstand" hunger, and you probably shouldn't be eating when you aren't hungry. It makes more sense to eat when you feel like you are becoming hungry, and do not eat when you aren't. Your body will tell you when it's hungry, and you should listen to it.

And your right, you are slowing down your metabolism by skipping meals, and it's not recommended that you do so. Breakfast is known as the most important meal of the day, and so many people skip it. Breakfast is the jump in your metabolism that it so desparately needs in the morning. It helps you function better in all aspects. Studies have shown that those who skip breakfast, actually have HIGHER BMI's (body mass index) than those who eat breakfast.

My opinion? Eat when you are hungry, and CONTINUE TO EXERCISE. When eating, make sure to choose healthful foods. It's perfectly alright to eat things high in fat and sugar occasionally and in moderation, but try to find foods that you enjoy that also give you healthy benefits. I believe you'll see benefits in the long run.

I hope this helped, and good luck!

Old 11-27-2004, 08:30 PM   #4

hornet777 HB User

Thanks a lot, its great help!

Im over 6ft and about 80kg if that helps?
Also, should i try to stick away from breads and carbohydrate stuff? And is peanut butter or those water cracker biscuits any good/bad???

What should I try to have more of, and what shuld i have less of?
e.g. Less carbohydrate, sugar and fat (thats what im thinking)
and more anything else?

Thanks again!

Also! haha again.. I usually do at least 20 push up every night (often more, and on the knuclkes ) Im also going to start trying to do 10-20 sit ups as well. Ive heard maybe the push ups arent good if they build the muscle behind the fat in the chest?

Old 11-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
(female)

razzelspaz HB User

Quote:
Thanks a lot, its great help!

Im over 6ft and about 80kg if that helps?
Also, should i try to stick away from breads and carbohydrate stuff? And is peanut butter or those water cracker biscuits any good/bad???

What should I try to have more of, and what shuld i have less of?
e.g. Less carbohydrate, sugar and fat (thats what im thinking)
and more anything else?

Thanks again!

Also! haha again.. I usually do at least 20 push up every night (often more, and on the knuclkes ) Im also going to start trying to do 10-20 sit ups as well. Ive heard maybe the push ups arent good if they build the muscle behind the fat in the chest?
In my opinion, I don't believe that you should try to stay away from ALL breads and carbohydrates. However, there are two types of carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates, and simple carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are usually found in breads, pastas, and vegetables. Simple carbohydrates are generally found in things such as candies, sodas, and sugars. It is best to have complex carbohydrates, because they are more beneficial to the body (ie, more nutrients). I wouldn't cut out all carbohydrates, but try eating more complex ones. Whole grain breads, pastas, and cereals are excellent choices, because they still contain nutrients that a lot of bleached breads, pastas, and cereals don't (ie, white bread). I would cut down on the fats (but not completely) and definitely cut down on the sugars. Here are a list of foods that you might want to look into:
-whole grain granola bars (trail mix granola bars are pretty good)
-wheat breads
-low-fat yogurts
-vegetables
-fruits
-foods high in fiber and vitamins (shredded wheat is excellent)

And, you are right about the pushups. Muscle does NOT replace fat, contrary to the belief of many people. If you are only doing pushups and crunches, but are not changing your diet and exercising, you will most likely only be building up muscle. In order for your muscles to show and your waist to become thinner, you will have to work on the fat. Cardiovascular workouts are GREAT for your whole body, including helping with your body fat.

If you have anymore questions, let me know!

Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 AM   #6

hornet777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzelspaz
Cardiovascular workouts are GREAT for your whole body, including helping with your body fat.

If you have anymore questions, let me know!
Thanks a lot.. final question (i think). Cardiovascular workouts... hmm, examples? Whats that all about? An do you think it is a good idea to stick away from Coke (Coca-Cola) ?

Also, I found out my BMI (Its 22)

Thanks again

And in overall summary, would u say the best way to lose this extra chest fast would be:
- Eat several times a day, good food, and not too much
- Stay away from sugars, fats etc.
- Quit the pushups and situps???
- And do cardio whatever that is? (plz explain)

Anyone?

Last edited by hornet777; 12-01-2004 at 01:02 AM.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:03 AM   #7

hornet777 HB User

Anyone gimme some help with the cario workouts?

Old 12-01-2004, 08:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Anyone gimme some help with the cario workouts?
Any type of exercise that get's your "HEART rate" up like swimming, jogging on the treadmill, aerobics, basketball, etc. You want to get to about 60%-80% of your maximum heart rate when exercising and make sure that you start off slow and stretch your muscles before and after each session. You want to feel like you are working hard, but not to the point where you can't carry a conversation at all.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-01-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Closed Thread