It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Does "soy" slow down the metabolism, and effect the thyroid?

Just wondering if anybody has any comments about soy, because I read about some problems soy can bring. I know we had a post similar to this, but not about the metabolism. I used to stay away from soy until Whole Foods came out with a cereal called Hi Lo, and I love it! I do read the many benefits soy portrays also, so........what are your opinions?

Last edited by Jess75; 11-25-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 AM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Does "soy" slow down the metabolism, and effect the thyroid?

Hasn't caused any problems for me, and I eat it frequently. I haven't heard anything about it slowing down metabolism, in fact a nutritionist I know recommends roasted soy nuts as a snack for those trying to lose weight. I've lost a lot of weight while eating soy almost every day.

I haven't seen any reputable article saying soy causes thyroid problems. But if you have an existing thyroid problem, you might want to avoid eating soy products because they may aggravate your condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamamuffinmama
Hasn't caused any problems for me, and I eat it frequently. I haven't heard anything about it slowing down metabolism, in fact a nutritionist I know recommends roasted soy nuts as a snack for those trying to lose weight. I've lost a lot of weight while eating soy almost every day.

I haven't seen any reputable article saying soy causes thyroid problems. But if you have an existing thyroid problem, you might want to avoid eating soy products because they may aggravate your condition.
Well, I guess it effects some people, according to Mercola's website. Thanks, I'm still gonna eat that cereal, heck with it!!!

Old 11-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i can't have the dry raosted ones, because they are raosted with wheat..

don't lose control now, Jess.. lol

Old 11-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Nope,

I love soy: tofu, roasted beans, soy sauce, soy bean sprouts...yummm.

I think it's the meat and dairy lobbies that tends to discredit soy, since soy is the richest dietary source of plant protein, and hence, something of a competitor. All the vegetarian "meats" are treated soy protein.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Lose C 20....i think you may be running your diet a little unrealistically...you cannot avoid carbs altogether, and roasted nuts with wheat should not be blacklisted because of the "wheat" part. "Losing control" or even showing weakness does NOT depend on what you eat or dont eat. You are being quite strict and it really isnt necessary...

Old 11-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hmmm girly i wasn't being mean or strict, i have a wheat allergy, so for me the raosted ones are out of the question.. ..maybe the non-raosted ones i can have..??

Old 11-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ayyy im glad im not eating them..

ps: wheat is also another cancer causing food..

Old 11-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

From my personal experience, I know most soy products are not for me . . . so it's convenient for me to believe the anti-soy stuff. FYI, plenty of it is coming from people who are equally anti-meat/dairy industry. I do eat it in fermented form . . . even some of the anti-soy people concede that traditional fermenting mitigates most of the negative effects.

There is lots of argument about soy, as you have probably found out. It's a tough call. So ultimately, IMHO, the best solution is to see what works/feels best for you.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
From my personal experience, I know most soy products are not for me . . . so it's convenient for me to believe the anti-soy stuff. FYI, plenty of it is coming from people who are equally anti-meat/dairy industry. I do eat it in fermented form . . . even some of the anti-soy people concede that traditional fermenting mitigates most of the negative effects.

There is lots of argument about soy, as you have probably found out. It's a tough call. So ultimately, IMHO, the best solution is to see what works/feels best for you.
Is the soy fermented in cereal? THanks!

Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Is the soy fermented in cereal? THanks!
No . . . well, maybe it was at one point . . . but what I meant specifically is soy that is still in the process of fermenting . . . for example, tempeh, miso or natto are the main ones available in the US.

Old 11-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #12

twizzler3 HB User

soy is fine IF you dont habve any thuyroid issues. thats where the problem comes in.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I think it's the meat and dairy lobbies that tends to discredit soy, since soy is the richest dietary source of plant protein, and hence, something of a competitor.
I think theres a lot of truth in that statement.

The dairy industry has EVERYTHING to lose by people turning more to soy or other types of milks instead of the allergy causing liquid they produce (not the mention the cruelty of animals involved in its production)

Old 12-05-2004, 09:05 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
I think theres a lot of truth in that statement.

The dairy industry has EVERYTHING to lose by people turning more to soy or other types of milks instead of the allergy causing liquid they produce (not the mention the cruelty of animals involved in its production)
But it doesn't explain the anti-soy people who are equally against the commercial meat/dairy interests.

Last edited by auntjudyg; 12-05-2004 at 09:06 AM.

Closed Thread