It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #1

ocurt HB User
sugar sugar sugar

hello everyone... ive been wondering how much sugar i should allow myself to have each day... i know that as little as possible is the best... but what should be the max.? i'm not overweight at all... i'm 14, female, 5'6, 113 lbs. medium body build. but ive been reading up on how bad sugar is and how it turns into fat and all this nasty stuff and now i'd really like to cut back. any tips?

Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: sugar sugar sugar

hey sugar is like smoking, the less you can take of it the better it is but, at your age I dunno..i guess if you can build control at such a young age and, stick with it, then you are ahead of the game..I think you'r very smart compared to most of the teenies..anyways take control you'r on the right direction..btw/ i eat one cookie per/day somtimes I skip..

Mario

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Ocurt,

The first step might be to consider the use of articial sweetners (aspartame, cyclamate, saccharine, sucralose...find one you like best), diet soda, diet Jello and the like. When shopping read all the labels.
Lower your consumption of candy, cakes and pies.

Since there's no RDA of sugar, you can take it as low as you wish...the lower the better.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-01-2004 at 05:45 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i wouldn't condone the use of artificial sweetners. form what i've heard, they can be as bad as sugar in the way, eg. aspartine can be toxic to the body if used in excess and so could be as harmful as sugar. furthermore, i've heard that sweetners can actually cause you to crave sugar more!
in my opinion, i would say its better to eat something that is sweet but provides nutrients as a compromise. dried friut would be a good example. or even better (but not quite so sweet!) a sweet potato.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

oh yeah, also, if you do need to add sugar to anything for any reason its far better to use fructose rather than sucrose. its far sweeter than sucrose so you don't have to use as much to get the same effect. you can either buy it in the form of fruit sugar or use honey to sweeten. the latter is even better as it contains water aswell as fructose and so has even fewer calories.l

Old 12-02-2004, 05:23 AM   #6
Inactive

hunter44 HB User

while you are trying to eliminate simple carbs you should also eliminate trans fats from your diet

Old 12-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

You're only 113 and young. You really do not need to worry about sugar at this point in your life. You're not going to gain weight from eating nutritious food like fruits, veggies, pasta, potatoes, meats, bread, and fish. You can gain weight on bad foods like doughnuts, cake, cookies, candy, chips....junk food. Just chill on the junk food and keep your servings to reasonable sizes and you'll never have to worry about gaining weight.....Oh, yeah, don't forget to exercise.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #8

ocurt HB User

yes, i do exercise!! weight lifting 3 days of the week and other stuff on tuedays and thursdays.... thanx you guys!!

Old 12-18-2004, 07:22 AM   #9
(female)

JustK HB User

You should consume no more than 2 tsp of sugar daily. There is sugar hidden in a lot of the processed foods so people are eating a lot more than they think. I don't eat processed foods and no sugar. The only sugar substitute I use is Stevia Plus. It is a natural sweetener and is a plant. The other sweeteners are artificial and make you crave sugar. Also, be careful of fructose and sucrolose. If you use consume too much of this you will end up running to the bathroom most of the day. Dried fruits are higher in natural sugar than regular fruit. I would stay away from them. I was like you when I was young. I was on the thin side. I'm not overweight now, but I find I have to be more careful about what I eat. Sounds like you are off to a good start and your interest in eating healthy will benefit you for years to come.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Ocurt,

The first step might be to consider the use of articial sweetners (aspartame, cyclamate, saccharine, sucralose...find one you like best), diet soda, diet Jello and the like. When shopping read all the labels.
Lower your consumption of candy, cakes and pies.

Since there's no RDA of sugar, you can take it as low as you wish...the lower the better.
Are you SERIOUS???

Old 12-18-2004, 03:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocurt
yes, i do exercise!! weight lifting 3 days of the week and other stuff on tuedays and thursdays.... thanx you guys!!
Is this not damaging for the joints of a 14 year old girl?
And don't take any of those carcinogenic sweeteners.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
(female)

gloikes HB User

Does anyone have a good healthy alternative to processed sugar? I was using Splenda, but just recently found out that it is just as bad as all of the other artificial sweeteners.......

Old 12-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Oh absolutely.

The no-calorie/no-fat, no-carb sugar replacements are the singular best diet aid ever created.

The alternative is to walk around craving sweets and eventually cave in to teeth rotting, useless caloric sweets in the super abundance available to today's consumer.

THese products are a godsend for dieters if you can find one you like the taste of, silly internet scares notwithstanding.

Closed Thread