It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Just a little FYI!!!

Good morning
On the show Good Morning America, I heard that women who consume more then 4 servings of dairy a day, have a higher chance of getting cervical cancer. They said switch to skim, which can help, and try to eat only 2 servings. Just thought I'd let you know. And I noticed how some of these adverisments advocate drinking like 3 glasses of milk a day for a faster weight loss. Sometimes I eat more than 2 a day so......I dunno! I'm afraid to switch to soymilk because I don't want to consume too much soy, and rice milk(which I looove) has too many carbs.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-30-2004 at 06:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Just a little FYI!!!

Milk is an excellent food...for CALVES!

Last edited by Lenin; 11-30-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Were they saying switching to skim lowered to risk of cervical cancer or helped weight loss?

There was a study a while back that showed several servings of dairy helped with weight loss (particularly fat loss), but I read recently that the same findings have not been replicated in subsequent studies.

In any event, I am sure they are using commercially raised, antibiotic and hormone laden, pasteurized, homogenized dairy products . . . one wonders whether the results would be different with good milk.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yah they meant that switching to skim milk can lower the chances of cervical cancer. But then again, they say that soy can cause cancer too so who knows(not on the show). It makes me really frustrated to come accross so much conflicted info. I'm just going to keep buying my organic skim milk.... like you said Judy, It could be all the junk that conventional milk contains. We've been drinking milk for many many years, and all of a sudden problems are occuring from drinking it!!! I think it has to do, again, with the hormones and antibiotics etc etc, in the conventional milk but who knows.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-30-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Milk is an excellent food...for CALVES!
Ha ha, I wasn't talking about calves.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-30-2004 at 02:31 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:39 PM   #6

Exile HB User

Just wanted to add my two cents...

As far as I know, the reason skim milk is better, besides the lower fat/cal standpoint, is that alot of toxins, fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, etc, are stored more readily in fat, so when you are buying conventional milk, the fat will have more of those things in it, while the skim milk will have less fat, and therefore less chemicals.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Ohhhh, MAAANNNN!!! You got me started on the subject of milk!! You may regret this.

I would advise everybody to STOP DRINKING THE STUFF. Unless, of course, you live on a farm with your own cows, who eat grass, and are not fed growth hormones or antibiotics, or interfered with in any way whatsoever. Then once you've milked the cow, you don't pasteurize or homogenize said milk.

Most of us don't have that option. We are forced to buy pasteurized and homogenized milk that's been heated and treated until it's no longer the same product. And Jessicca, it's NOT good for calves. If you feed a baby calf the pasteurized stuff, he will die of malnutrition!!!!!

Please, everybody, research this for yourself. There's a lot of info out there, from sources too prestigious to be ignored. The former head of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins was anti-dairy and linked it to many of his patients' illnesses.
Pasteurized milk is linked to allergies, sinusitus, asthma, cancer, heart disease, and - yes, really - bone loss. And that's a short list because I'm forgetting all the other horrible stuff it's linked to. Pasteurized milk is acidic, and causes the bloodstream to leach calcium from the bones to maintain its alkalinity. Pasteurized milk has no live enzymes to break down all the nutrients in it - calcium, for instance, and casein and lactose can't be broken down because the enzymes have been killed. Our bodies go into overdrive trying to break down these substances. So we get indigestion and sinusitus. We go to doctors, get antibiotics and prescriptions and it doesn't work, and not one doctor says "Why don't you try eliminating dairy?". I figured it out for myself, at long last. Dairy was making me sick.

You're right about one thing, though - skim milk is less horrible for you than whole milk. Whole milk is homogenized, which converts xanthine oxidase (a chemical in butterfat) from a harmless, inert substance into one that is connected with heart disease.

I don't believe that soy milk is a good substitute. It has a lot of calcium, sure, but it's a processed food and can irritate your sinuses. The jury's still out on soy milk. For calcium, I'd recommend nuts, green leafy foods, soy beans (like edamame) and good ol' calcium citrate supplements.

I warned you, you got me started...(and I'm probably not finished).

Closed Thread