It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

spearchucker HB User
Does Pineapple make your mouth numb?

I took a vacation to Hawaii a few years ago and got stuck on eating pineapple. I eat it as often as I can now but I have had a few weird experiences when eating it some times. If i eat a lot of pineapple in one sitting my mouth becomes kind of numb. It didnt happen in hawaii so I thought it might be pesticides on my hand from cutting the pineapple so i washed my hands before i ate it but my mouth still felt kind of numb. Does anyone have any information on it?
pj

Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Does Pineapple make your mouth numb?

I wouldn't say "numb" but something close to it. Maybe irritated, over-sensitized and "*****ly" would be how I describe it.
Strangely, it's only the raw fruit and not the canned that has this effect on me and there's nothing pleasant about it.

I think it might have something to do with the enzymes in it...bromelain and papain (dissolves protein) but I'm not sure.
No other food affects me in quite this way!

So HELLO Del Monte!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-01-2004 at 05:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Pineapple is seriously acidic stuff - I'd go easy on it if I were you. I've heard that people who eat lots of pineapple have rotting teeth, because the pineapple erodes all the enamel off. It gives me a stomach ache, so I don't eat much of it. And I have a strong stomach, usually!!

Old 01-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

tdot HB User

The reason why pineapple makes your mouth feel numb is because it contains enzymes that break down proteins as well as it being acidic. The enzymes in pineapple are often used in meat tenderizers. However, I wouldn't let this deter you from pineapple, the enzymes will not tenderize your tongue (unless you eat it constantly! ) and it contains good fibre and lots of great nutrients like antioxidants (vitamin C/A).

Enjoy the pineapple!

Closed Thread