It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 06:39 PM   #1

Hawk- HB User
Juiced Carrots

For the past 2 weeks, I have been drinking a glass of freshly juiced carrot juice with my dinner. I know that Carrots are really healthy, but I heard they have a lot of natural sugars in them. Can these natural sugars cause diatbetes? I have about 4-5 carrots everyday.

Besides that one reason, I've enjoyed drinking juiced carrots, along with a glass of lemon juice and doing Yoga daily. It gives me a lot of energy.

Last edited by Hawk-; 12-01-2004 at 06:41 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Juiced Carrots

I HIGHLY doubt that carrots would CAUSE diabetes, and if you heard that I'd like to know where. If you did hear it, and diabetes doesn't run in your family, and you are feeling good, then KEEP IT UP!!!! IMHO, carrots are nothing but healthy and I couldn't agree with you more on the idea of yoga. I try to do yoga at least once a week, but lately I've been doing a little more. There are many benefits to yoga!

Last edited by Jess75; 12-01-2004 at 09:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

IMHO and experience, the problem with carbs comes from eating a lot of refined stuff over a period of time (varies from person to person, of course). I agree, I seriously doubt you can get diabetes from carrots, or that the carbs will cause weight gain, if the rest of your eating plan includes sufficient protein, good fats, lots of fresh veggies and fruits and minimized processed, refined foods and sweets.

(BTW, I'm a confirmed low-carber myself.)

Old 12-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

fawn512 HB User

won't drinking too much carrots make you "yellow" ? It does effect my color if i drink too many , not to mention papayas and oranges

Old 12-02-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn512
won't drinking too much carrots make you "yellow" ? It does effect my color if i drink too many , not to mention papayas and oranges
Yes, I learned about that possibility in a nutrition class years ago. I don't know how many carrots a day would lead to that condition. I've never seen it happen, but since my skin has a yellow cast anyway, I wouldn't want to add to it. I suppose it all boils down to "everything in moderation," even the things good for you.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

You need to drink a lot more than the equivalent of 4-5 carrots before that happens, though. At least 3 or 4 times that, I think.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #7
(female)

fawn512 HB User

i'm yellow race, so i guess even if i only take a few carrots, it'll make me more yellow

Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I'm white but have yellow-y skin (maybe I'm not pure white, but who knows). And carrots make me kind of orange-y colored. If I drink carrot juice a few times a week, though, it's not too bad. I don't worry about it.

And not everybody has that reaction.

Carbs are not a bad thing. Just the refined, overprocessed ones. I hate this low-carb fad. It's SO stupid. We need carbs!! All this meat-eating is going to kill people, slowly, with heart disease and gout and stuff we've never even heard of before. So what if you're thin, if you're not healthy??

Last edited by kerry1; 12-08-2004 at 02:31 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry1
I'm white but have yellow-y skin (maybe I'm not pure white, but who knows). And carrots make me kind of orange-y colored. If I drink carrot juice a few times a week, though, it's not too bad. I don't worry about it.

And not everybody has that reaction.

Carbs are not a bad thing. Just the refined, overprocessed ones. I hate this low-carb fad. It's SO stupid. We need carbs!! All this meat-eating is going to kill people, slowly, with heart disease and gout and stuff we've never even heard of before. So what if you're thin, if you're not healthy??
I TOTALLY AGREE!

Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
(female)

fawn512 HB User

what if the protein ur eating are lean ones? ARe they also bad for your health?

Old 12-09-2004, 06:05 AM   #11
(male)

*~Neurophoria~* HB User

Ignorance and over-indulgence with any kind of sugars can cause diabetes - refined or "natural".

The fiber in whole vegetables enable the sugars GI (Glycemic index) rating to be lowered. Unfortunatly blending them increases the GI as the vegetable is liquified so some of that benefit is lost.

Roughly 15-20 grams of sugar from 5 medium carrots a day is very minimal, albeit insignificant if the rest of ones diet is in check. Skin pigmentation from megadosing on beta-carotene (orange pigment) is physiologically harmless and will pass within a day if source is removed.

Technically speaking humans don't need carbohydrates at all - we can operate in ketosis for a lifetime - Optimaly though, carbohydrates are the brain and bodies much prefered energy source as people in ketosis frequently suffer from chronic fatigue, lowered hormone levels, a chronic stench of acetone and even 15-20% drops in IQ for the duration of the diet as the brain requires glucose for optimal preformance. They do benifit from superior insulin sensitivity though.

<<what if the protein ur eating are lean ones? ARe they also bad for your health?>>

Protein is not bad for your health. You need it to survive and without it you would cease to exist. What comes along with some protein sources can be unhealthy in excess (cholesterol,fat). Healthiest sources of protein; Egg white's, white meat, non-predatory fish, most lugumes (lentils), perhaps soy .. etc

Old 12-09-2004, 11:47 AM   #12
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn512
what if the protein ur eating are lean ones? ARe they also bad for your health?
No, they're not - you need protein, and some of us need meat. But eating ALL meat, with no carbs, is unhealthy. I see some people on low-carb diets eating any kind of meat they want to - salami, bologna, pork chops, all kinds of fatty, toxic meats, and they lose the weight but it makes me sick to see it.

Whatever happened to the good ol' food pyramid? You need your protein, your grains, your fruits, your vegetables. The only thing I disagree with is dairy - BAD for many of us.

Closed Thread