It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
sister making family eat healthier

hey guys..
well ever since my sister switched to healthier eating..she cooks alot more(daily)..she removed all the junk food the kids where eating..well almost all of it..she feels alot better she is eating gluten free and, the family is eating biological..she finds it a little dificult tho because her kids will somtimes crave the stuff they where eating(all the junk) lots of candies and, junk like frozen foods, pizza pockets ewww yuck..anways do you all think she's doing the right thing..??? personally i know she is but, i just want your opinion, thanks.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

cricketchicket HB User
Re: sister making family eat healthier

Does your sister have a gluten intolerance/celiac disease? If so...sure she should be eating gluten free. However, if she is not and neither are her children, there is no reason why she should give up gluten containing products. Sure, giving up junk food is one thing and bravo to her for doing so. However, keep in mind that there are many healthy breads and products that contain gluten and whole grain, so if she is not celiac, she really shouldn't be giving up gluten just for the sake of it. Just because something is made with gluten, doesn't mean it is unhealthy! I have celiac disease and the rest of my family does not. I would never dream of making my family give up healthy, whole wheat products, just because I cannot eat such things. What makes me healthy doesnít necessarily make someone else healthy. Be careful what you advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi cricket..long time no see well my sister has had IBS for like ever and, since she had preety much all the symtoms of celiacs..she just thought of giving the diet a try, she feels a very big diference as she always had diareeha on and, off..especially when she would eat out..she hasn't iliminated all gluten from the family, they all have their wheat breads..and, snacks..but, she is on the diet and, feels good just a little isolated.. How are you doing on the diet?? have you gone vegetarian..??

Old 12-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Mario, just yesterday I found out someone I know has celiac. So one sister has it and they were saying two other sisters "have it in their system" so it is suspected they will develop more intolerance toward gluten as they get older. That "in your system" business I had never heard of, though I don't know that much about celiac.

In any event, these digestive things are genetic, so I say why not go light on the gluten . . . it may delay development of full blown celiac. And, as you know, there really is nothing in gluten laden foods you cannot get elsewhere. I know I do MUCH better when I cut out wheat and wonder how many other people would be. The darn stuff is EVERYWHERE! Why? Everyone says we are supposed to have a varied diet, but wheat, corn and soy are in practically everything!

Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah i know..
but all i did was change my grains..the rest of the stuff is the same iv been doing so much research on this gluten and, there are lots out there that can't digest it..I mean lots feel better without..i do know that this gluten is a poison for me, but it is toxic for lots of people..im predicting that in the future wheat will be replaced by better flours..also did you know that in the year
2000 there was 1/425 with gluten intolorance
now
2004 there are 1/123 with gluten intolarences

wow its crazy

Closed Thread