It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
How do you get rid of 'dieters breath'??

I'm cutting back on food to try and lose a little weight but find that if I'm not eating constantly my mouth tastes funny and my breath is kickin'!!

Any tips to get rid of this or is it a inextricable side affect of dieting? How do all those scrawny celebs keep from having bad breath?! Or, do they maybe all have bad breath too??!!

Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User
Re: How do you get rid of 'dieters breath'??

Are you doing low carb cause it sounds like Ketosis!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64
Are you doing low carb cause it sounds like Ketosis!

Not really low carb - just focusing on lots of salads, veggies, water, protein, nuts and grains.

Whats Ketosis??

Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Thumbs up Re: How do you get rid of 'dieters breath'??

Green tea is EXCELLENT for bad breath because it contains a little fluoride, and helps boost the metaboism. Plus, it's real good for overall health. And about celebrities...I was watching a show on the Wisdom channel last night and they were saying that most people that maintain a thin "celebrity like" figure naturally only make up 5% of the population. The remaining people who want to reach a very thin figure are constantly yo yoing. If you have comcast cable, it's located under the "on demand" section. Oh and, google green tea for bad breath, you'll be suprised. Oh and Ketosis is an acid substance that occurs when there isn't enough glucose in the blood and fats have to be used.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-09-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey jess.. you really know alot..

thank you

Old 12-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
hey jess.. you really know alot..

thank you
Ha ha, I don't know about that, thanks!

Old 12-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Green tea is EXCELLENT for bad breath because it contains a little fluoride, and helps boost the metaboism. Plus, it's real good for overall health. And about celebrities...I was watching a show on the Wisdom channel last night and they were saying that most people that maintain a thin "celebrity like" figure naturally only make up 5% of the population. The remaining people are constantly yo yoing. If you have comcast cable, it's located under the "on demand" section. Oh and, google green tea for bad breath, you'll be suprised.
Thanks Jess,

I do actually drink ALOT of green tea (gen maicha to be precise) - didn't know that would help though.

I'm not really trying to be thin. I weight 139lb and am 5ft 5 so I am a tad chunky. But my goal weigth is 132-134lb which is still a healthy weight. So,I don't really need to lose that much, you know, just enough that I'll get more definition.

When I see some of those celebs who are super thin it makes me wince!! Britney, JLo and Catherine Zeta Jones are much healthier weights/ Its funny that they are considered 'thick' even though they're probably not even 135lb and are way under the US average!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
(male)

*~Neurophoria~* HB User

Some quick points to clear things up.

Bad breath (Halitosis) due to ketosis is caused by acetone.

Oral remidies & increased hygiene will do little as the acetone is being released by the lungs and then follows into the mouth.

You do not have to put yourself in ketosis (carbohydrate deprivation) to loose weight - simply take in (eat) less energy than you expell (burn) and weight will be lost. Eat a more balanced diet including more carbohydrates and the problem will be eliminated. Unless you have induced diabetes onto yourself, in which case both being overweight and having halitosis are symptoms.

<<just focusing on lots of salads, veggies, water, protein, nuts and grains.>>

Salads have no carbohydrates.
Most veggies have a minimal amount.
Water has no macronutrient value.
Protein can't be used as carbohydrates.
Nuts are 90% fat by caloric weight.

Grains are carbohydrate (starch and sugar) rich - eat more spread with every meal. Considering how much fat nuts contain, and that fat has over twice the calories per gram than carbohydrates, dropping the nuts for more fruit or grains will have little to no effect on your caloric totals and presumably alleviate the breath.

95% of the population is not yo-yo'ing.

True, roughly 5% of the population are born pure ectomorphs (slim).

Less than 1-2% of the population have a medical reason (hypothyroidism etc..) that causes them to be overweight.

Between a overpaid team of personal trainers, dietary helpers, plastic surgeons, slimming camera lenses, clever lighting and airbrushing - "Celebrities" are the last people anyone should be using a physical guide, role model or benchmark for comparison.

Green tea (extract or decaf) is most absolutely quite exellent.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I meant that the remaining people who are constantly DIETING, to achieve a "hard to maintain" weight, like major thinness. The show is about dieting.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-09-2004 at 07:31 AM.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

First of all, I've heard parsley supplements will clean your breath & body odor.
Raw parsley is probably even better (and it's tasty).

Secondly, add some carbs to your diet. Whole grains, like whole wheat, oatmeal, whatever.

Thirdly, forget about those celebrities. All they think about all day long is how perfect they look. They may look dazzling on camera, but in real life? I bet they look like scarecrows, aging too fast under all that makeup, and they probably have ketosis, too, under all the perfume they wear to mask it. Supermodels are disgusting. I look at them and can imagine the smell of ketosis (like nail polish remover) and vomit. Sorry, that's gross. But that's how I look at them.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

haha, i look at them as gluten people, because there is gluten in all that make-up..lol

Old 12-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

wow, green tea helps with bad breath? I never knew that...I guess I have an excuse now if I don't feel like brushing my teeth.

Closed Thread