It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 10:43 PM   #1

lovethecrue HB User
Ex football player trying to lose muscle

Yes, I'm the guy that can't get in to most jeans, unless they are baggy fit, because I have tree trunks for legs. Now that I'm coming up on 30 I'd like to get lean and lose some muscle. Any suggestions? I heard going Vegan can help?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #2
(male)

*~Neurophoria~* HB User
Re: Ex football player trying to lose muscle

Even if your body type is naturaly mesomorphic achieving some targeted muscle loss is not a feat that requires any kind of extreme measure. Akin to gaining muscle, loosing it is 90% under dietary control.

1) Thermodynamics. Take in less calories than you burn and you will loose weight period, and vice versa. If your maintaining your weight now at 3500 K/cal a day = "slowly" reduce calories by 200-500 K/cal a week/month depending on what pace works best for you and you will loose weight.

2) Reduce protein. No need to go as low as the RDA (around 60g) 100g is sufficient assuming that you have a high protein diet now to maintain your muscle. This will reduce your nitrogen retention and make muscle loss easier.

3) No need to reduce workout frequentcy, actually the workouts themselves increase GH output and your metabolism for nearly 20 hours - which further helps to shed the lbs when caloric level's are lower than maintinence. Reduce your maximum poundages though - if your muscles are not being stimulated to lift 100% then they will of course naturally reduce muscle volume to the minimum amount needed to lift whatever level your lifting at (ie.. 60% of your previous max).

4) Optionally to speed things up, add some catabolic activites to your workout such as cardio. These really get the cortisol flowing in your bloodstream (cortisol is pretty indescriminate between breaking down fat or muscle for energy).

5) Supplement wise = No need for thermogenics, the strong ones are somewhat muscle sparring anyways which will hamper your goal - take a multivit unless your diet is sound already as most people when cutting macronutrients also greatly reduce their micronutrients and can become defficient. Green-tea extract (caffeine sparse) and Alpha Lipoic Acid are very safe and very helpful in increasing lipoysis (breakdown of fat) and nutrient partitioning through non-stimulatory methods and are two of the strongest antioxidants known.

There is no need to go with a vegitarian diet, but eating more veggitables is always a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #3

lovethecrue HB User

I was thinking of cutting out all weights and just using my body weight. Push ups, pull ups, situps, etc.

What do you think?

Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #4

llamamuffinmama HB User

A vegan diet can certainly be a very healthy one as I've learned being vegan for several years now. I've slimmed down by 100 pounds and gone from big and flabby to toned and strong (but no bulky muscles).

But I think the most important thing to reduce the size of your leg muscles is to not do as many of the same exercises you did in order to gain that muscle mass in the first place. Obviously you'll want to continue to exercise, but you could concentrate on aerobic forms to get your heart pumping and your body moving, rather than repetetive muslce movements and strength building exercise. Does that make sense?

Old 12-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #5

lovethecrue HB User

What is a typical vegan diet?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

Vegan diets can vary a lot from one person to the next. I know "junk vegans" (think lots of unfrosted pop-tarts, french fries, sandwich cookies, and soy ice cream) and "health nut vegans" (think sprouted grains, lentil and bean loaves, and lots of salad).

I'm somewhere in the middle myself.

Yesterday I had:
Veggie Sushi (with combinations of faux crab, baked tofu, spinach, grated carrot, and avocado)
A slice of pizza with vegetarian pepperoni, onion, and pineapple with soy cheese
Some pita bread with a cannellini bean, balsamic vinegar and oregano spread
A red anjou pear
French toast made without eggs/milk (very simple and every bit as good. I can share a recipe if you want).
Seitan (or "gluten", the protein from wheat. Meaty taste and texture, very satisfying and healthy) roast with wild rice, dried cranberries and pecans (homemade) and some steamed spinach.
Scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip Soy Cream (unbelievable) with fat free hot fudge
------------------

I like to cook, but even if you don't there are a lot of great convenience foods you can buy. For a guide to these, you can google Vegan Basics.

There's everything from fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes and whole grains like rice, oats, quinoa, barley, and couscous to pasta, pizza with lots of veggie toppings hold the cheese, soups, salads, storebought desserts and things like brownies and cakes made from mixes where eggs and milk are substituted with plant-derived ingredients, cereals with soymilk, rice milk, oat milk, or almond milk, sandwiches with vegan mayonnaise, "deli meats", hot dogs, and sausages, scrambled tofu and veggies, potato dishes, all kinds of ethnic food (chinese, indian, mexican, thai)... you can find or create a vegan version of pretty much any food you like!

I'm definitely a foodie and almost never have the same meal twice. And I eat A LOT. *lol*

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 12-09-2004 at 04:23 PM.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

do what Shaq did, cut the weight work and increase the cardio.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #8

Lakers2005 HB User

Why would you want to lose muscle?

Muscle is the most valuable asset one can have because it allows you to constantly burn calories all day long...

Just cut bodyfat and buy bigger jeans, LOL.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:28 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

the thing about just buying bigger jeans is that although you'll get more space for your huge legs, you'll find that the waist size is probably two inches bigger than it needs to be, meaning that you'll find you have this really annoying flap of excess jean that always seems to find its way out from under your belt! i know this as my legs got pretty darn big last year from doing loads of cycling and was wearing 34inch jeans, even though my waist was only 30inches at the time. you could try wearing combats for casual. and when you want to wear something smarter, maybe pay a bit of money and have some trousers or jeans tailored for your own particular body. dunno how expensive this would be but considering some deseigner jeans are really dear anyway, it could be an alternative to look into.
to be honest though, i imagine you had to artificially build up those quads in the first place (i remember seeing keiron dyer building his up again after being out of training for ages from an injury, by bunny hopping up the steps of the terraces of st james park!). so if you do really want to geet smaller legs than you've got just stop doing the exercises that keep them built up. i said that i had big thighs from cycling; well, they aint big at the moment simply becasue i haven't done any cycling for a few months!

Last edited by ratboy83; 12-10-2004 at 05:29 AM.

Closed Thread