It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

myownpawn HB User
recovered from an eating disorder, trying to get back to normal

I want to be normal again with food. I had a skewed idea of what healthy was, and had anorexia for a while. I don't want to post this on the eating disorder thread because all I want is to have a normal, healthy way of eating.
I used to restrict and count calories all the time. As part of recovering, I stopped. Because of recovery I've become a little bit overweight. I used to be a cross country runner but stopped running to recover. I'm trying to get back to running and go once a week just for fun. Little steps.
Here is what I'm wondering. I don't want to focus on losing weight. I don't want to focus on dieting. But what is a healthy amount of food? I am going to try to start to eat more healthy foods like fish, fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains. But in what portions for a 20 year old, mildly active young woman? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 12-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: recovered from an eating disorder, trying to get back to normal

make your life easy and, eat like the pyramid..just select good quality breads and, muffins or bagels..
veggies galor
fruits galor
milk or soy milk
yogurt
cheese if possible aged cheeses
fresh fresh meats & chicken(fresh)
tuna & sardines
penut butter

just simple stuff like that will make you feel amazing..

thats a very good start and, add little things as you go along..like cottage cheese & nutts(not roasted)...also eggs..etc.. good quality pasta and, brown rice..dried figs..dried fruits..

gogo

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-10-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
make your life easy and, eat like the pyramid..just select good quality breads and, muffins or bagels..
veggies galor
fruits galor
milk or soy milk
yogurt
cheese if possible aged cheeses
fresh fresh meats & chicken(fresh)
tuna & sardines
penut butter

just simple stuff like that will make you feel amazing..

thats a very good start and, add little things as you go along..like cottage cheese & nutts(not roasted)...also eggs..etc.. good quality pasta and, brown rice..dried figs..dried fruits..

gogo
What's aged cheese?

Old 12-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

It all depends on your height and weight to determine how many calories you should consume on a daily basis. Basically, IMO, the good old fashioned U.S. food pyramid is a good balance of nutrients, although 6-11 servings of breads and cereals may be too much, especially 11. LOL If you tell me your height and weight, I can calculate for you what you daily caloric intake should be to maintain health. I can do this on a website I know about for you, but I can't give it out according to the rules on here. I'm glad that you recovered because being too thin is very unhealthy and is just an ugly thought. Welcome to the boards, there are many knowledgeable people on here!

Last edited by Jess75; 12-10-2004 at 09:18 PM.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi jess, aged cheese is very expensive like provolone, it is a natural cheese instead it is not pasteurized..but simply dilicious and, all natural..lol

well you know me..

Old 12-12-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

myownpawn HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. Jessicca, I'm 5"7 and not sure what my weight is now (part of recovery, I haven't weighed myself for a few months). If I had to guess, I would say about 140 to 145. I couldn't count calories though, as it would probably trigger me, so I don't know how useful knowing how many calories to eat would be. Thank you for the thought though!

Old 12-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
(female)

mon336 HB User

i know what you mean...i am a diabetic and was controlling my weight by not giving my insulin..and i have the same desire to get back to being healthy, the normal way. everyone is different and needs different amounts of food and your body is the best person that can tell you that. just listen to it, when you are hungry then eat, when youre not then dont. just take a moment to actually listen to those feelings...and i think youre on the right track by eating the whole wheats and fruits and vegetables. im 22 and for me i just try and eat at the lower end of the food pyramid, 6-12 serving of starches so i will try and do 6....about 1200 calories, but it all just depends on how active you are. just dont deny yourself anything

Old 12-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #8

dsmoore HB User

Your idea of eating better food is great.

Don't deny yourself anything. High fat food is actually healthy. Eat it if you desire it.

Beware of soy it is very toxic and causes deficiencies. Being overweight and underweight are both signs of such deficiencies.

See e.g. [url]http://www.************.org/soy/index.html[/url]

I don't know why that link is censored. It should read "www.weston a price.org" but without spaces.

Last edited by dsmoore; 12-16-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Closed Thread