It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User
Unhappy rBST

This is freaking me out. I am 3 months pg and unable to eat anything dairy related b/c my sister told me about this. Usually when she starts in on her "you should do this....or that...." speech I don't really buy into it. Maybe b/c I am pg I actually listened or didn't do enough tuning out. I don't know. Anywhoo...I need some FACTS on this. I have done searches that have only confused me more. I know I need calcium and protein, but I cannot for the life of me drink something with pus in it. I am aware of supplements, but I also have a 5 y/o and don't want him drinking pus. HELP ME!!
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: rBST

Number one, what is pg? Sorry, I'm not that good at abbreviations, lol. You can get calcium from rice milk, soy milk(IMO, not too much soy), brocolli, kale, almond milk, nuts, and maybe consider a supplement. Are you COMPLETELY unable to consume dairy? Organic milk doesn't have pus and stuff in it, although I think you meant that you can't consume any dairy but I'd like to know what you mean by pg, thanks! DUHHH, I just got it, your pregnant, LOL!!! Sorry, now I got it. Okay, been there done that. Organic milk is fine if you aren't allergic to milk, which I doubt you are so make sure you always choose organic milk cause I know for a fact there isn't any puss in it and it still has the same calcium content in it as conventional milk. I don't know about drinking soy milk during pregnancy, I know doctor Mercola says that is a NO NO He says giving a child soy is like giving them birth control pills. You can google mercola and check out his site by typing in the search "soy milk and birth control" or something like that. Let me know when you make a decision.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-13-2004 at 05:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
DUHHH, I just got it, your pregnant, LOL!!!
too funny..hehe

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-13-2004 at 05:46 PM.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Inactive

Gramma Con HB User
Talking Re: rBST

Jessicca, What is the connection between pus and milk. I am assuming you mean cow's milk. Where did you get your information? Can you tell us what rBST is?

Old 12-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramma Con
Jessicca, What is the connection between pus and milk. I am assuming you mean cow's milk. Where did you get your information? Can you tell us what rBST is?
rBST = recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone

Oh, the vegan boards go all wild getting the most digusting images they can find . . . so you find lots of talk about how much pus is in commercial milk.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

pus drains from udders with infections (mastitis) when they are milked.

a good percentage of dairy cows have mastitis.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok this is new to me..does this mean its bad..??? help!!

Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

What gets me is that so few people are concerned about homogenization or even pasteurization . . . hey, what's a little pus?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

I'm friends with someone that was a dairy farmer growing up. Her husband was the same. I discussed this with her, and she said that they are mandated to test the milk at least once a week, and there can't be any form of bacteria in it. This didn't really calm my fears of pus, but I found milk w/o the rbst, so I'm ok for now. My problem is with my son at school. He drinks it, and I need to figure out an alternative to it. Also I read that a slice of cheese has more pus than a glass of milk, due to the evaporation of the liquid. Is there a vegan board on here??? I'm not one, but I'm thinking about it!! My husband would kill me, though. Since being pregnant, I haven't been able to eat hamburger. Poor guy, he's made his own dinners for 3 months, now...always some kind of meat in it..yuck.

Nicole
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Old 12-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

That's why I eat organic meats and dairy. BTW, it's called veggie boards!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #11

llamamuffinmama HB User

There are a lot of veggie/vegan resources out there:
Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine has good sound advice
Veggie Boards, like Jessica said.
Go Vegan
Vegan Represent Forums
Try Veg
etc.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #12
(female)

JustK HB User

I think you need to talk to your Doctor and quit listening to people.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustK
I think you need to talk to your Doctor and quit listening to people.
Boy, oh, boy! If you have a doctor you think has all the answers for you, are you lucky! I don't know many people who do!

Now, if you are saying not to listening to everything you hear on the internet, certainly the information needs to be evaluated. Duh. But I have found the internet EXTREMELY valuable in providing health information you will never hear from conventional sorts.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

aunty, you are very right..

Old 12-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #15
(female)

JustK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Boy, oh, boy! If you have a doctor you think has all the answers for you, are you lucky! I don't know many people who do!

Now, if you are saying not to listening to everything you hear on the internet, certainly the information needs to be evaluated. Duh. But I have found the internet EXTREMELY valuable in providing health information you will never hear from conventional sorts.
My response was to the original poster because #1 she is pregnant and under a Doctor's care, #2 her searches have confused her, & #3 she stated she is freaking out over this information.

Closed Thread