It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Gluten is really bad..

i think gluten is causing alot of people to be ill..

So what is gluten?

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, oats and barley.

What damage can it do?

In persons sensitive to it, a process of an auto-immune reaction causes flattening and shrinkage of the microscopic finger-like projections in the small intestine called villi. The purpose of the villi is to absorb nutrients from food, and by a process of enzyme activity, digest and break down food particles to a soft consistency so that they can pass through the digestive tract in a texture that makes elimination of waste products easy. When the villi are flattened, digestion of food is impaired, and the full spectrum of vitamins, minerals, trace elements, amino acids, enzymes, fats and water are not absorbed properly.

The Coeliac Condition is hereditary, passed down through the generations, and one has to look to parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren, brothers and sisters for symptoms. If one person in a family is diagnosed there is a 10% chance that other members will be sufferers. What does make it very tricky to diagnose is that every member of the same family may have different symptoms. If one is not diagnosed as a baby, one can suffer minor symptoms all one's life, without realising the underlying cause. This is because there are so many over-the-counter remedies for all sorts of symptoms, and we all tend to treat our minor symptoms with any number of over-the-counter remedies because we do not wish to bother a doctor. Also, we eat such a varied diet that the symptoms can be "masked" for years. It is often only when people have tried an elimination diet that they have discovered their food intolerances.

In the past, doctors have only recognized the condition in people suffering from chronic diarrhoea and severe weight loss. But this has now changed. According to research done both in USA and UK in the last 10 to 15 years, gluten could be at the root of any of the following GROUPS of symptoms.

Upper respiratory tract problems like sinusitis, "allergy", "glue ear" in babies, asthma, bronchitis, post-nasal drip, headaches and migraine.
Symptoms related to malabsorption of nutrients like anaemia and fatigue (lack of iron or folic acid), osteoporosis, insomnia (lack of calcium), skin complaints like eczema, urticaria, psoriasis, Dermatitis Herpetiformis (lack of vit A), mouth ulcers, irritability, nervous system complaints (lack of B vitamins), underweight or overweight (imbalance of utilization of carbohydrates), poor growth in children and babies (lack of absorption of all nutrients and impairment of growth hormone), infertility (hormone production impaired because of malabsorption of other nutrients), thyroid imbalance, pancreatic problems, diabetes.
Bowel complaints: diarrhoea, constipation, bloating and distention, spastic colon, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, stomach cramps, stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis, IBS, lactose intolerance, gall bladder problems, bowel cancer, stomach cancer, lymphoma.
Auto Immune System problems: Rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis, Crohn's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Myasthenia Gravis, muscular dystrophy, Sjogren's syndrome (when the lymphocytes attack the body's moisture producing glands), Addison's disease, Pernicious anaemia (the lymphocytes attack the lining of the stomach where a chemical called intrinsic factor is produced, which is needed for the production of Vit B 12).
Diseases of the nervous system: Motor neurone disease, some of the epilepsies, tingling and numbness in the extremities, and, I believe, stammering and stuttering in children and adults (the myelin sheeth on nerve endings is impaired) - lack of the B vitamins.
Problems that affect the mind: depression, behavioural problems in children, ME, ADD, ADHD, Alzheimers disease, Schizophrenia. (A Japanese Professor has discovered that there are no less than 13 opioid reactions that can occur from just 1 molecule of gluten - that is, mind-bending addictive reactions).
Genetic problems like Down's Syndrome, Diabetes Type 1 (Mellitus), amongst others.
What are the tests for this condition?

The tests are very new in South Africa. They only became available in October 1998. They are the IgA and IgG antibody tests for gluten or gliadin, which is the fraction of the gluten molecule which causes the problem. All Pathology Laboratories know about these tests. They collect the blood sample and send it to either Johannesburg, Pretoria or Cape Town. The tests are available on ALL medical aids.

The tests have only been available fairly recently overseas as well, but what is so interesting is that since the introduction of these tests, more than 90 people per week in UK are being diagnosed now. It must be strongly emphasized that anyone who is suspicious that they may have one or more symptoms, must go to their doctors immediately for the blood tests. Nobody should eliminate gluten before the tests otherwise the results will be inconclusive.

In Holland and in Italy, children of 2 years old and 6 years old respectively are AUTOMATICALLY tested for gluten enteropathy. In Italy, too, all pregnant women are ROUTINELY screened for gluten enteropathy. These countries are now finding statistically that instead of 1 in 2000 being sufferers, there are 1 in 200. It is a condition that is far more prevalent than doctors realize. At the Pretoria Technikon there was a study done in 1994 in the Dept of Naturopathic Medicine, where, out of 800 volunteers who suffered from "allergies", 287 were found to be gluten intolerant. My guess is that if the blood tests were introduced into South Africa, we would have a similar finding here amongst ALL population groups, and there would be huge savings in medical bills as many diseases would be lessened, in later years. I recommend that before anyone is told to have surgery for tonsilitis, nasal problems, arthritis in any joint, bowel disease, gall bladder, kidney problems, liver disease, thyroid disease, or pancreatitis, or cancer, they should FIRST be screened for the coeliac condition, or gluten enteropathy.

In the past it was thought that the Irish were the most prone to this condition, but it has now been established that if your historical heritage is from UK, Wales, Scotland, the Nordic countries, Poland (Polish Jewish), Italy, South East Asia (Indians), and also the black people from Africa, you could be prone to it. The theory behind this is that in their historical past, all these nationalities ate a staple diet of either potatoes, rice, corn or millet (sorghum) and when wheat and other grains began to be cultivated, that was when the problems started. Dr Joe Murray from the Coeliac Clinic at the University of Iowa says that basically gluten-sensitive people lack an enzyme which he calls glutaminase that digests the protein gluten. He says it is also an auto-immune reaction whereby the lymphocytes (which normally attack foreign invaders in our bodies) start to attack the body's own tissue, in this case, the villi, causing inflammation etc.

Another point to consider in this condition is the fact that once the intestines are in an unhealthy state, it paves the way for other invaders or infections like Candida Albicans (a fungus or yeast) and Giardia Lamblia (a type of parasite). Everyone has Candida inside them, but it is when there is an overgrowth that problems can arise. If anyone suffers from Candidiasis, they must really look into the possibility that they may be suffering from a food intolerance like gluten as well. And conversely, if you are a Coeliac, you must be aware that you may also be suffering from Candidiasis. An excellent book to read on this subject is "The Complete Guide to Food Allergy and Food Intolerance" by Dr Jonathen Brostoff and Linda Gamlin, Published by Bloomsbury Publishing Ltd., 2, Soho Square, London, W1V 5DE. Also "Candida Albicans" by Jill Jacobs. Your local library will have more on this topic.

What is the GOOD news about this condition?

The good news is that the damage is reversible. The sufferer changes to a strict gluten free diet. Vitamin supplementation may be necessary depending on the types of symptoms suffered. As soon as the gluten free diet is introduced, the villi in the small intestine start to regrow and can then start digesting food and absorbing nutrients again. The diet is a diet for life. In the old days (prior to 1970) it was thought that one would grow out of it. But that idea is no longer valid. It is now recognized that one must adhere to the diet for life if one wants optimum health, and to prevent serious complications later in life like lymphoma or bowel cancer.

How long does it take for symptoms to disappear?

In my own experience and those who come to my support group, it has been found that sinusitis and upper respiratory problems, like post nasal drip etc. disappear within 2 to 3 weeks. Arthritis takes about 4 to 5 months, but it will ease within about 3 weeks. Constipation takes about 2 to 3 months. Diarrhoea eases very quickly, within about 2 weeks. Headaches and migraine ease very quickly, within about 2 weeks. Anaemia and osteoporosis take longer. Tests every 6 months would be advisable. Bone density does increase but it is advisable to have regular bone densitometry examinations. Dermatitis Herpetiformis can take up to 2 years to heal, because deposits remain for a long time subcutaneously until they eventually drain away in the lymph drainage system. Aerobic exercise like brisk walking is of major help in this process. The depression, irritability and behavioural problems ease within 2 to 3 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Gluten is really bad..

I did read about the effects gluten can have on people, and I was suprised...I read about it on Mercola's website. Also, when I'm shopping at Whole Foods, I notice many of the items saying "gluten free" on them, and I never understood why. Well, now I do! I don't really eat a lot of bread at all, but I do eat cereal and oatmeal. And also, I was suprised to see Uncle Ben's brown rice saying "gluten free" on it today while I was cooking. Is it in oatmeal? I think it is. The only thing that confuses me is the fact that gluten is found in wheat, and wheat is grown from the earth so one would think it's good for ya. Gluten is found in wheat right? BTW, Mercola is a well known doctor and advices his patients to stay away from gluten altogether.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-15-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

gluten is in wheat..yes and, it is very toxic for the human body, not just for celiacs....yes i eat the uncle bens, funny tho its not labeled gluten free..hmm where are you from, Jess..??.. i wonder why its not labeled, i know it is, tho.. its funny because i always had back aches, and, now they are all gone..lol just because of gluten..no what..try iliminating it for a couple weeks or months you will see a major diference..trust me, you will never eat it again.. ..its really easy..

just change your cereals..(grains)

no what Jess.. i have your answer..my grandma and, mom..told me that it is written in the bible.. that wheat is poison yep..im not kidding you..they know the bible..apparently gods people disobeyed and, they used gods bread..to wash themselves with...(pita)..poison was put in the bread from that day on..(in wheat)..that sums it up.. i won't be eating it for the rest of my life..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-15-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #4

dsmoore HB User

I know people can make dramatic changes by stopping gluten consumption.

I have managed to heal all my sensitivities to food basically by stopping eating all soy products. This basically involves avoiding all process food. I am very happy to do this. I eat really good food as a result.

I eat oats with no problem.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

you see, there you go..

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Gluten toxicity is relatively unknown problem in medicine. As this article was reviewed in the media, many stories had the frequency of gluten intolerance at one in 5,000. This is terribly dated, but this statistic is commonly used in the media.

As I said two years ago: Most physicians donít realize how common it is for people to have gluten intolerance. Traditional diagnostic methods in recent studies show as many as 1 in 33 in the US have this disease. This is a far cry from 1 in 5000!

Due to the fact that celiac disease was considered rare in this country, it often went undiagnosed or misdiagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome or lactose intolerance. My experience is that the true incidence is probably much higher still, perhaps on the order of 1 in 10 people. The bulk of us however, do NOT benefit from foods with wheat and gluten.

This is one of the primary reasons why people get sick in this country. It is amazing how many people's chronic health complaints clear up once they stop eating wheat. Some clinicians believe that no one can digest the protein in wheat called gliaden.

Our body attempts to break this protein down by attaching an enzyme to it. This gliaden enzyme complex in a high percentage of people actually stimulates an autoimmune reaction that can cause the full blown syndrome of celiac disease, or more commonly sub-clinical celiac disease which is generally characterized by a variety of chronic health complaints, most of which are intestinal.

However, I have seen many rashes disappear within days, once gluten was stopped.

This new research is exciting, but one needs to know it is nothing more than a band aid and will not reverse the need to avoid gluten overall. Of course traditional medicine will view this as a "cure" because theyíve found a pill solution.

However, we know better.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

First off, I live in Pittsburgh, second off, gluten free appears on the back of the box near the food pyramid, right next to it. Let me know if you find it!

Old 12-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

So what is safe to eat?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
So what is safe to eat?
I read today how we should eat like cavemen. Their diet consisted mainly of meats, fruits, veggies, nuts and berries. NO grains, no milk, no BEANS???? So the prevalence of allergies are occuring due to the way some of us are eating, which don't match up to the way humans ate in in the paleothec(sp?) days. I don't know but all this is confusing and it seems like bull crap because you read everywher else about how whole grains and milk are important to include in the diet. Now, more than ever all these allergies are showing up. Who knows, but no dairy? That's sad, I love my cottage cheese and yogurt and I AIN'T GIVING IT UP!!!

Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

singer..
its very simple..just eat like the pyramide..i recomend to change your grains..white bread or, brown bread..makes not diference..they are both very bad for you..try to eat as natural as possible..select better breads, at first you will find them strange tasting but, you will adjust very quickly and, you will never go back..

this is what i recommend..

grains>> corn, rice, potato, spelt
fruits & veggies
dairy
good quality lean meats..forget cold cuts..
dried fruits
nuts
raisins
penut butter
eggs
good milk
100% pur juices
tuna
sardines
good rice( not the quick prepared rice)
olives
rice or arrowroot cookies soy cookies..
rice cakes
etc..

you gotta eat real food..

Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey Jess.. its mostly the gluten the big allergy triggering..as for your cottage cheese and, yogurts..thats fine..alot of people that are lactose are, able to reintroduce milk once gluten is removed from their diet..What kind bread you eat..??? and, what kinda pasta..??

Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
singer..
its very simple..just eat like the pyramide..i recomend to change your grains..white bread or, brown bread..makes not diference..they are both very bad for you..try to eat as natural as possible..select better breads, at first you will find them strange tasting but, you will adjust very quickly and, you will never go back..

this is what i recommend..

grains>> corn, rice, potato, spelt
fruits & veggies
dairy
good quality lean meats..forget cold cuts..
dried fruits
nuts
raisins
penut butter
eggs
good milk
100% pur juices
tuna
sardines
good rice( not the quick prepared rice)
olives
rice or arrowroot cookies soy cookies..
rice cakes
etc..

you gotta eat real food..
You said to select better breads, what kind do you mean?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

better breads..like soy bread(since your a soy freak)
rice bread
corn bread(this is proly the best bread for your health)
potato bread
spelt bread

i remember when i was a little kid i use to put up wallpaper with my dad and, use wheat flour mixed with water to stick it up..How good can that be for your health..?? if you try making glue with any other type of flour it will never work.. also sientist have tried feeding wheat flour to rats for like 30 days..and, the rats died..goes to show you..

try searching

gluten & rats

im not joking..i just want you and, y'all to be more healthy..it will pay of in the long run..

also jess my stools never smell..means im eating 100% natural.. (sry for the graphic)

Old 12-16-2004, 06:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Gluten is bad in people who are sensitive to gluten and for people who compete with wheat economically...like the meat and dairy lobby.
The large majority can happily enjoy their pasta without worry, guilt, or pain (Dr. Mercola's quacking notwithstanding.)

Old 12-16-2004, 08:50 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i don't agree... if your stools stink when you go, means you are not eating healthy enough...sry for the graphic..and, who ever says its suppose to stink, they don't know what they are talking about.. .. very sry

Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

HIGH-TECH WHEAT
We now enter into a sterile environment where men and women in bright white lab coats manipulate the genetic codes of wheat so that it may be able to grow in impoverished soil filled with pesticides and chemicals. These new Super Grains must be resistant to disease. Natural wheat would be too weak and malnourished to withstand the plagues of nature that haunt mass production. The wheat is then harvested and taken to the mill where the germ is separated because its delicate oil would cause the flour to taste rancid. Synthetic vitamins and minerals are added to the bread, making up for the loss of the germ, the most nutritious part of the wheat. If it is whole wheat, it is ground to a fine talcum powder through many rollers. The finer the flour the better the bread is able to have a soft, spongy texture that the consumer has grown to love and demand. In many cases, extra gluten is added with other preservatives and additives to enhance texture and preserve the breadís appearance of freshness. Color is added to give Whole Wheat that dark nutritious look. Unsuspectingly, your are eating mostly white flour, a substance so refined that a diet of it will kill laboratory rats in less than 60 days.

Closed Thread