It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
(male)

WWASIAUC HB User
High carb, no vegetables diet: how bad?

No, that wasn't something recommeded to me, that's just the way I've always eaten. As a rule, I don't any vegetables (well, french fries, and occasionally, like at Thanksgiving and Christmas, mashed potatoes and corn). And I love carbs. My general diet consists of the following, which doesn't vary much from day to day, or month to month.

Breakfast. A large bowl (probably 2 or 3 servings) of raisin bran with skim milk. Nothing else.

Lunch: 2 chicken sandwiches: Tyson chicken sandwich patties on hamburger buns with barbecue sause. Nothing else.

Dinner: 2 slices of DiGiorno, pepperoni pizza. Nothing else.

Occasional night-time snack. Grab half a dozen slices of bread, pull of the crust, wad it all up into a big dough ball, and then go to town!

And I drink practically nothing but caffeine-free, diet coke.

What problems will such a diet produce?

Last edited by WWASIAUC; 12-15-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: High carb, no vegetables diet: how bad?

First off, carbs are very filling and I think that's why many of us choose foods that are high in carbs, plus most of the carb foods taste good. Secondly, it sounds like you eat an aweful lot of bread which can lead to a lot of weight gain, which isn't good in the first place. If you aren't overweight and you have energy then go for it. But in order to prevent cancer, increase immunity and such, I would include things like more fruits, veggies(v-8 juice, cooked brocolli and cheese, carrots and low fat dip, I'm giving examples cause I can't tolorate veggies plain). I read somewhere that eating more fruits and veggies can ward off cancer by a whopping 60%, but that's only fruits and veggies. I didn't include things like green tea, exercise, and lean proteins and whole grains either(well without gluten cause I'm weary about that, theres a whole other post about it right now). If you aren't too concerned about your health and you aren't overweight than I don't know what to tell ya, but obviously you are concerned cause you wouldn't be on here in the first place. Try to eat more fruits and veggies as snacks, and pack them if you have too.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-15-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

personaly i think that 70% of your diet is hmmm...pretty bad..sry

Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
personaly i think that 70% of your diet is hmmm...pretty bad..sry
Hey, did you check that unlce bens box yet? It's right next to the pyramid.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

lol.. Jess.. what pyramid.?.i checked on the box, i can't find a pyramid..im from Montreal tho.. .. It's an orange box 5x10..says whole grain brown rice..with bens picture..lol ..should i call the company??

Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
lol.. Jess.. what pyramid.?.i checked on the box, i can't find a pyramid..im from Montreal tho.. .. It's an orange box 5x10..says whole grain brown rice..with bens picture..lol ..should i call the company??
Maybe cause I got the 10 minute rice, is that bad? And you said on another post about buying good bread, well what kind of bread should be buy. Actually, I hardly ever eat bread, but I am giving up my whole wheat crackers and that's all I have to worry about. I don't want to give up dairy, rice milk has too many carbs and I love cottage cheese and yogurt. It sucks cause everywhere you read they say "eat plenty of whole grains and include dairy" bla bla bla. You know there are people who are allergic to dairy too and there are bad things stated about it. But I think most of it is due to the antibiotics and growth hormones, besides the lactose intolorance. Who knows but I'm not dying so I'll keep living.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-15-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

WW,
A diet like yours is missing MINERALS. Long term, the lack of minerals will cause you difficulty.
Add some fruit and vegetables to your diet every day. It doesn;t have to wagonfuls...just SOME!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:41 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

what 10 minute rice..?? eww i make mine from scratch..i don't eat stuff thats already prepared..sry.. as for the breads..like i said try getting better breads..like corn bread, or rice bread, or potato bread..stuff like that..much better for and, not toxic like the wheat..
i wonder why Mercola is saying that wheat is efecting as many as 1 on 1o americans..hmm i think he's right

Old 12-16-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
what 10 minute rice..?? eww i make mine from scratch..i don't eat stuff thats already prepared..sry.. as for the breads..like i said try getting better breads..like corn bread, or rice bread, or potato bread..stuff like that..much better for and, not toxic like the wheat..
i wonder why Mercola is saying that wheat is efecting as many as 1 on 1o americans..hmm i think he's right
So, what's wrong with it already prepared, is it nutritionally different from non-prepared rice?

Old 12-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

its not as pure..remember your body wants pure food..i have plenty of risotto recipes..my fav..

olive oil..(let it wram up)
onions & garlic hot peppers(chopped)
little chunks of chicken(i boil mine first)
mushrooms
tomato suace( home made)
peas
parmesan cheese..

voila..got yourself a very tasty rice quick recipe..( takes me 30 mins to make)

thats a gluten free recipe..gluten free means pure.. ..try it, once you try these recipes you won't eat the others..

another rice recipe..a quicky

brown rice..
can of tuna( i warm it up in a pan)
chunks of pine apples..

mmm

Last edited by Losec20mg; 12-16-2004 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey thanks for the recipe! The other day I was making a spinach salad with cucumbers organic lower fat ranch, tuna, and brown rice, hmmm so good!

Old 12-17-2004, 07:21 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

tell me whats in that dressing?

Old 12-18-2004, 07:03 AM   #13
(female)

JustK HB User

I get the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that you are pretty young. That may be why you aren't adversely affected by your diet at the moment. It's good to get in the habit of eating healthy when you're young, because it will affect you as you get older. The vegetables that you eat, corn and potatoes, are very starchy and will raise your insulin level the same way sugar does. Also, your body doesn't digest corn. You are eating a lot of bread and the kind you are eating has very little nutritional value. The diet cola doesn't replace the water your body needs daily. Overall your diet is very bad. I'm assuming since you are visiting a health website and posting here you realize you aren't eating healthy and want to improve. There is a lot of good info here and I would suggest you read and try to apply what you learn.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #14
(male)

WWASIAUC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustK
I get the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that you are pretty young.
Not really. 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustK
The vegetables that you eat, corn and potatoes, are very starchy and will raise your insulin level the same way sugar does. Also, your body doesn't digest corn. You are eating a lot of bread and the kind you are eating has very little nutritional value.
Since I posted, I started replacing one item (like a chicken sandwich) each day with a simple salad. A bag of lettuce/endive or what have you from the grocery store, some bacon bits, and fat-free French dressing.

So I've probably increased my daily vegetable consumption by an order of magnitude! And also decreased my bread consumption a tad.

But I seem to remember someone telling me that while green veggies are important, that lettuce didn't count. Is that right? If so, why?

Old 12-22-2004, 03:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Wow- you are in desperate need of NUTRIENTS! Starting the day off with a bowl of raisin bran is great, but quite honestly, the rest of your day is terrible! A sandwich is fine for lunch, but try putting it on whole wheat bread and adding lettuce, tomatoe, and avocado, and maybe eating a piece of fruit with it. For dinner, pizza is not the best choice. Why not eat a grilled chicken breast with vegetables, a big salad, whole wheat pasta with tomatoe sauce, tofu stirfry..there are so many options! Just try and make your meals more colorful. That is the key.
And as for your wad of bread as a late night snack- yikes. That is not only nutritionally pretty bad, bread can also spike hunger and make you feel lethargic and bloated. Why not eat an apple with peanut butter, a few crackers, some cottage cheese, a yogurt, or even a few slices of turkey and cheese.
Good luck modifying your diet!! I'm glad you're concerned because the last thing you want is poor nutrition when you are older!

Closed Thread