It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 05:57 AM   #1
(male)

Mike Angel HB User
Beans and rice....

Hello, im new here and would like to hear from anyone who can help....

The thing is Ive been eating nothing but beans and rice (literraly) for like 9 months now, And im just wondering how thats going to effect my health and wether its positive or negative.

thanks for your help.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

Steph@nie HB User
Re: Beans and rice....

I would first ask if you are taking any suppliments to make up for all of the nutrients that you are not getting.
Second, I think that whenever people cut out whole food groups it simply cannot be a positive thing. Same as when people go on super low carb diets and don't eat any rice or beans or grains etc. It's just not good, not balanced!
Why exactly are you doing this? Weight loss? Also, how do you feel? That is sometimes a good indicator of things. Have you been to the doctor since you have started? If so, what did he say?
Just curious of all these things! It kinda reminds me of the show "Survivor", and they do not look healthy at all!
Can't wait to hear more about this diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

You really need to add a variety of fruits and vegetables. You won't gain any weight by adding fruits and vegetables to your diet. Come on. Just beans and rice....Your missing out on a lot of vitamins like A and C found in bright red vegies and the wonderful vitamins found in dark green veggies like calcium and iron.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Agreed . . . you're missing many vitamins and minerals. A variety of foods is always preferable.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes i agree too..but, mind you beans and, rice is very good for you..try getting the brown rice..kool

Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

Why are you eating such a limited diet?
I agree that both are healthy foods, but mixing in some other grains and legumes and adding fruits and vegetables is a good idea.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

You can thrive on rice and beans if you add a multivitamin. Many cultures balance plant protein with this combination. But doesn;t it get terribly BORING day in and day out.
Do you conceivably eat rice and beans at all three meals of every day?

(I had it last night: arroz amarillo e frijoles negroes (yellow rice, black beans) but had a delicious carne guisado (beef stew) to go with it) We went to a Puerto Rican restaurant.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-19-2004 at 05:29 AM.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
(male)

Mike Angel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph@nie
I would first ask if you are taking any suppliments to make up for all of the nutrients that you are not getting.
Second, I think that whenever people cut out whole food groups it simply cannot be a positive thing. Same as when people go on super low carb diets and don't eat any rice or beans or grains etc. It's just not good, not balanced!
Why exactly are you doing this? Weight loss? Also, how do you feel? That is sometimes a good indicator of things. Have you been to the doctor since you have started? If so, what did he say?
Just curious of all these things! It kinda reminds me of the show "Survivor", and they do not look healthy at all!
Can't wait to hear more about this diet.
LOL, well at first It was pretty bad but after a while i got used to the farting and stomach burns,lol,and my intention is not to lose weight if anything im trying to maintain my wheight. Im 6 foot 1 and my wheight fluctuates between 190 and 200 pounds depending on how much i eat.How do i feel? I dont know, does a ballanced diet really make people feel better?...i feel ok i guess

i have no doctor, thats why im here

and I always thought that if you dont eat certain types of food like meat and fish your body will find other means to produce those specific nutrients, similar to horses who dont eat meat but still have strong built muscles. Is this true??

Old 12-25-2004, 05:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Angel
and I always thought that if you dont eat certain types of food like meat and fish your body will find other means to produce those specific nutrients, similar to horses who dont eat meat but still have strong built muscles. Is this true??
Nope, its not. Certain nutrients your body can make . . . many it needs to get from outside sources. After you win the Triple Crown, the horse analogy might work!

Old 12-25-2004, 06:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi Mike,
Whats your goal for eating just beans and rice?

Old 12-25-2004, 08:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mike,

You'll be fine if you just take a multiple vitamin. All rice in the U.S. is enriched with iron, niacin, and ribofavin. WHat is conspiculaously missing are Vitamins A, C, D, and B-12. A daily multi will take care of it and you'll soon be running at Belmont. Without the vitamin pill you are looking at a probable case of scurvy from no Vit.C.

My homage to the vegan way of life is a rice and beans day...ONCE a week. Maybe I'll go whole hog and try TWICE a week! (But hot cereal for breakfast on the vegan day...I doubt I could face a bean in the morning.)

Last edited by Lenin; 12-25-2004 at 08:08 AM.

Old 12-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
You can thrive on rice and beans if you add a multivitamin. Many cultures balance plant protein with this combination. But doesn;t it get terribly BORING day in and day out.
Do you conceivably eat rice and beans at all three meals of every day?

(I had it last night: arroz amarillo e frijoles negroes (yellow rice, black beans) but had a delicious carne guisado (beef stew) to go with it) We went to a Puerto Rican restaurant.

YUM Lenin, Your dinner at the Puerto Rican restaurant sounds delicioso!
I use to eat alot of brown rice, black beans and sweet potatoe mixed to gether. YUMMMMMMMM

Closed Thread