It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 03:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
What exactly is flaxseed?

What exactly are flaxseed? Do you eat the whole seeds, my mother says it's food for birds. They say it's good for the heart. But it doesn't have a lot of mono-unsaturated fats does it? More poly, which is ok but that means olive oil is better? Also anti-carcinogenic? How do you eat this? Are they full with calories. What's the nutrition value of ten seeds? And how do you lose weight with these seeds? Are they a good component of a diet? Thanks...

Old 12-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: What exactly is flaxseed?

OK, FLAX.

It's a plant whose fibers were made into LINEN since ancient times. It's seeds (linseeds or flax seeds) are very oily and pressed to yield linseed oil which has been polymerized for over a century to make linoleum (linen +oil.)
It's high in POLYunsaturated oils like linoleic and linolenic acid.
The oils are fragile and oxidize (go rancid) easily.
They are high in fat calories and are of benefit mostly as fiber as a constipation aid during dieting.

I think fish oil is a better supplement for cardiac health.

You won't lose weight easily by eating lots of flax.

If you want to eat flax, you have to grind it or it passes though undigested like most seeds and the ground seeds taste vaguely nutty and BITTER!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-19-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Thanks... but doesnt it contain a lot of omega 3 or I dont know exactly, but something that speeds up you rmetabolism? Or are other oils etc. better for that?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

JustK HB User

Flaxseeds are not food for birds. It is best to get the ground flaxseeds (not flaxmeal) or buy the seeds and grind them yourself. You can add this to your vegetables, salad, and protein drinks. They are a good source of fiber and they also give you a feeling of fullness which will keep you from overeating, if you are dieting. They also rev up your metabolism and possesses unique fat-burning power. They are a source of good fat, that your body needs. You can also use the flaxseed oil. If so, do not cook with it. It can't withstand high temps over 300 degrees. It also has to be refrigerated as the seeds do as well. Olive Oil is NOT better than flax oil. Olive Oil doesn't contain the essential fatty acids. It also doesn't help you to burn fat. If you take fish oils instead, make sure you buy a pharmaceutical-grade one that has the PCB's and heavy metals removed. These are equally good, but you need to use less of the fish oil, 2 tsp per day instead of the 2 TBS, and the taste is much stronger. You can buy the tablets for each but would have to take A LOT of them per day to equal the liquid amount needed.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Okay, so it will help me to keep my metabolism running then? Because I definitely dont wanna screw that one up while dieting. So I think I will get these flaxseeds from the health store then. But I will have to add the calories to my daily list of foods eaten etc. right because they are pretty high in kcal because of the fat?
I also have these omega 3-6 supplements. 1 capsule contains 240 mg fish oil and 60 mg this other oil dont know the english word for it but it contains the omega 6 fatty acids. So if I take 2 or 3 of these pills in... will the flaxseeds have any effect on me still, because I'm getting in this stuff anyway? I also eat fish like twice a week or something. And shrimps like once a week.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Justanothergirl,

The flaxseed is rich in ALA (like canola is): alpha-linolenic acid. This is a precursor Omega-3 with limited conversion to the more active DHA and EPA acids. Fish oil has the active forms directly thus is a better Omega-3 source.

To take the oil directly, canola oil is orders of magnitude cheaper than flaseed oil.

I find ground flax WAY too bitter to be edible but others like it.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-19-2004 at 07:24 AM.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
Okay, so it will help me to keep my metabolism running then? Because I definitely dont wanna screw that one up while dieting. So I think I will get these flaxseeds from the health store then. But I will have to add the calories to my daily list of foods eaten etc. right because they are pretty high in kcal because of the fat?
I also have these omega 3-6 supplements. 1 capsule contains 240 mg fish oil and 60 mg this other oil dont know the english word for it but it contains the omega 6 fatty acids. So if I take 2 or 3 of these pills in... will the flaxseeds have any effect on me still, because I'm getting in this stuff anyway? I also eat fish like twice a week or something. And shrimps like once a week.
See, I eat fish about 2x a week also, but I was also eating a tbs of flax a day, along with my distilled fish oil (one tsp) and found that I gained a few pounds. So now, I eat flax/fish oil on alternative days like for example:
Monday I'll eat about a tbs and a half of flax and Tuesday I'll consume a tsp of fish oil, and so on and so forth. I think I was cheating a little during that time too, but anyways, I find that eating flax and fish oil on alternative days works for me. Oh Justanathagirl, btw, omega 6 is prevalent throughout a normal diet cause it's in a lot of the foods we eat like cereals, veggies etc. You can check out Mercolas website about how our ratio of omega 6 to 3 is out of the correct proportion. For example, the Western diet, Mercola says, that the omega 6 to 3 ratio is 20:1 and the omega 3 imbalance can cause some problems. I suggest you read about it on his site, and type in the search engine at the top, fish oil or something like that. As far as it ruining your diet, efa's are essential for hormonal regulation which is connected to the metaboism. Too much however can cause weight gain, but it's said that fish oil is a good element in helping to burn glucose which can lead to weight gain, something along those lines, but read up on it! OH, and I noticed that my hair is really shiny since I've included omega 3's!

Last edited by Jess75; 12-19-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
(female)

JustK HB User

Canola Oil, which means "Canadian oil," isn't the most desirable source of essential fatty acids. The majority of canola oil on the market today is highly refined and genetically engineered. There are different brands of flax oil and some have a nutty flavor which isn't bitter. I prefer taking the oil instead of the seeds. It's just easier for me to put it in my protein smoothies.

You will not gain weight consuming the flaxseeds or flax oil if you limit your consumption of it. You only need 3TBS of flaxseeds or 2TBS of flax oil daily, taken with food. I also take borage oil and evening primrose oil 3xs per day. These are the only oils I consume. I don't cook in oil and I use very lean proteins in my meals. I also eat fish at least 3xs per week.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:52 AM   #9
(male)

lugter HB User

Flaxseed oil is said to have a big effect on preventing different cancers among severeal other things. You can probably do a search on this. Also your immune defense system is supposed to benefit really well from it. Make sure that you get the coldpressed flaxseed oil, and in liquid form. The capsules are not digested as well as the liquid.
You can also use the healthboards search option, there are many threads about flaxseed.

one thread --->[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=123659[/url]

Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I've read that the omega-3s in flaxseed oil are not assimilated well by the body. Even experts who lean towards vegetarianism recommend fish oil for omega-3s (for example, Dean Ornish).

Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
(female)

tdot HB User

Check out this website for information on flax. If you want to use flax in your every day life, check out the PDF Recipe Book. My best friend does research on flax in her nursing home and it has proven to be very good for your bowels.

[url]www.flaxcouncil.ca[/url]

Closed Thread