It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Supposed to be gaining weight...

Hi everyone-
I am supposed to be gaining weight. I am currently about 132-135lbs and 6ft tall (female). I wouldn't say I have an eating disorder, per se, but apparently something is not right. The idea of gaining weight has been very scary, but I have been eating normally and I feel like I should have gained a lot of weight by now (it's been about 3-4wks), but I have not gained anything. Every time I eat a lot of food I get really anxious and feel like I have already ballooned out, but obviously that is not possible. How do I get past these feelings every time I eat so that I can gain weight.?.?
This morning, for example, I ate a bowl of lowfat cottage cheese, with an apple cut up in it and a large serving of honey toasted cashews. I feel sort of badly about it and all I want to do is go to the gym soon to work out. Am I being totally irrational? Can I still work out and gain weight? I just feel so much better when I run....

Old 12-19-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Supposed to be gaining weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Hi everyone-
I am supposed to be gaining weight. I am currently about 132-135lbs and 6ft tall (female). I wouldn't say I have an eating disorder, per se, but apparently something is not right. The idea of gaining weight has been very scary, but I have been eating normally and I feel like I should have gained a lot of weight by now (it's been about 3-4wks), but I have not gained anything. Every time I eat a lot of food I get really anxious and feel like I have already ballooned out, but obviously that is not possible. How do I get past these feelings every time I eat so that I can gain weight.?.?
This morning, for example, I ate a bowl of lowfat cottage cheese, with an apple cut up in it and a large serving of honey toasted cashews. I feel sort of badly about it and all I want to do is go to the gym soon to work out. Am I being totally irrational? Can I still work out and gain weight? I just feel so much better when I run....
Hi LS, long time no hear , anyways....
From reading up on your previous posts Ls, it does sound like you are quite concerned about gaining weight. Question...are you happy with your weight being 135 pounds? If so, and your not HORRIBLY skinny and you still have periods and feel healthy, then I would just stay at that weight and not lose ANY more. You may just be small boned, are you? It seems like you like yourself at that weight, maybe you'd be happy at 140 and you can include some weight training, I bet you'd look great. I'm gonna check your bmi on another site and I'll be back. I don't want to mislead you if your already at an unhealthy weight. But, you seem overly concerned about going over the 135 mark. I'm 5ft6 and a half and I don't want to go over the 130 mark, and I'm much shorter than you. I now weigh exactly 126, at the docs so I want to be 122, but it's not a huge concern. I weight train so that's why I'm not too concerned. I just liked how I looked in my jeans at that weight (122) but 126 is still healthy and in my range, if that makes you feel any better. My range is 118-133lbs some say 140, and i'm between small and medium boned I think. I'll check and be right back.

Heres the deal:
At 6ft tall, your weight would just make it as considered "healthy" at 137 lbs which takes you at a BMI of 18.6, which is just making it, cause under weight is is anything bleow 18.5. So yah you are underweight, but I would just tone up, and eat, acutally you said your trying but it so hard for you. But I guarentee you'll love your body with some muscle tone to it.
Underweight 18.5 and below
Normal is 18.4-24.9
Overweight 25-29.3
It doesn't sound too bad, and I'm glad your making the choice to put on some weight. You don't want to be TOO skinny, yuk! Do you weight train, I would cut out the running a little and add some weight training, and you'll look good I bet. Weight training does aid in weight loss, but if you add calories, at least it will be muscle and not fat. Weight training is good for weigh loss when restricting calories so I think that's a great idea. Let me know if you weight train, how old you are, and how much cardio you do.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-19-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Hi Jessica-
Thanks for taking such an interest in my health. I need all the advice I can get! Anyway, I decided to gain weight because my friends and my parents were very concerned. Apparently I look too thin (and I agree...sometimes) and I do not get my period regularly. Actually, I stopped gettting my period around 145-150lbs I think which was several months ago. I weighed myself yesterday...131. I am aiming for 145, but every time I eat a lot or "let go" I get scared and think I'm going to gain a ton of weight all at once. I feel a lot less stressed when I work out- especially if I run. I don't run everyday at all, but if I skip a bunch of days I get very anxious. I would like to get some weight training in, but I'm not really weight-savvy. I do a few every now and then, but not consistently. I just wish I could gain the perfect amount of weight without feeling bad about eating and without giving up exercise.
I'm 21 years old (since you asked) and I really want to figure this problem out before it becomes something that rules my life. It already gives me enough stress!!!
Thanks SO much...

Old 12-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Jessica-
Thanks for taking such an interest in my health. I need all the advice I can get! Anyway, I decided to gain weight because my friends and my parents were very concerned. Apparently I look too thin (and I agree...sometimes) and I do not get my period regularly. Actually, I stopped gettting my period around 145-150lbs I think which was several months ago. I weighed myself yesterday...131. I am aiming for 145, but every time I eat a lot or "let go" I get scared and think I'm going to gain a ton of weight all at once. I feel a lot less stressed when I work out- especially if I run. I don't run everyday at all, but if I skip a bunch of days I get very anxious. I would like to get some weight training in, but I'm not really weight-savvy. I do a few every now and then, but not consistently. I just wish I could gain the perfect amount of weight without feeling bad about eating and without giving up exercise.
I'm 21 years old (since you asked) and I really want to figure this problem out before it becomes something that rules my life. It already gives me enough stress!!!
Thanks SO much...
You STOPPED getting your period around 145-150lbs??? If you would have stayed at that weight for a certain amount of time, you probably would have menstrated again. I don't know what to tell you about your anxiousness, but all I know is YOU should want to be healthy, have your periods, and feel good. We all need fat for good health, it's a must, it shouldn't be shameful. I wish you luck!

Old 12-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #5

Lakers2005 HB User

You can't gain weight with the amount of calories you're eating...

A bowl of cottage cheese and an apple?

That's barely any calories, probably about 260-300 calories...

You need 3500 calories EXTRA per week to gain a pound....

I'm 5' 11" (Male) and I consume around 3300-3400 calories per day because I want to gain 1-1.5 pounds of muscle per week. You're 6' so I think you need a lot more calories than you're probably eating.

You seem like a smart girl; figure out your maintenance level of calories (the # of calories each day that sustains your weight) and add 500 extra to it each day to gain a pound per week (one pound=3500 calories).

Also, consider weight training which will make you look toned and sexy.

Hope this helped...

Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks Jessica and Laker-
I am aiming to gain weight (10-12lbs I guess), but it's a lot easier said than done. I don't think I need to be eating 3300-3400 calories a day, but I guess I could be eating a little bit more. Today I had a breakfast burrito around 11:30 that had eggs, black beans, and salsa in it and then I had a frozen yogurt with reeses peanut butter cups on top. Now obviously that isn't "diet" food. I want to continue exercising and I think I'd feel better if I had a weight training regimen, but I don't know what exercises/machines to do. Any suggestions?
I feel like I have been adding things like the reeses pb cups, avocado, nuts, etc... to my diet, but I haven't gained any weight the past month. I can't imagine having to eat more than I already do! I thought gaining weight would be so easy....

Old 12-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks Jessica and Laker-
I am aiming to gain weight (10-12lbs I guess), but it's a lot easier said than done. I don't think I need to be eating 3300-3400 calories a day, but I guess I could be eating a little bit more. Today I had a breakfast burrito around 11:30 that had eggs, black beans, and salsa in it and then I had a frozen yogurt with reeses peanut butter cups on top. Now obviously that isn't "diet" food. I want to continue exercising and I think I'd feel better if I had a weight training regimen, but I don't know what exercises/machines to do. Any suggestions?
I feel like I have been adding things like the reeses pb cups, avocado, nuts, etc... to my diet, but I haven't gained any weight the past month. I can't imagine having to eat more than I already do! I thought gaining weight would be so easy....
LS289, do you belong to a gym? IF you do, there should be somebody there to help you. If you don't, I suggest buying the Firm videos and the Body Sclupting System 1 comes with a fanny lifter and 3 videos for like 60 dollars at Target. They are very effective, and have others in the backround to follow that are geared towards beginners. It's best to start with 3-5 pound weights and then progress to higher weights when the reps no longer seem challenging. You won't bulk up like a man, don't worry, you'll look great, and feel great I bet! And you won't gain weight overnight either, that will take a little time, just like losing does. I wouldn't try to gain it back REAL fast, I would slowly introduce a little more calories in your diet each day, that way you won't feel like a your getting fat. However, if you feel okay by increasing your calories all at once, I guess it's okay. If all your doing is cardio with that small amount of body fat, then it should be very easy for you to gain weight since you aren't weight training because your body was probably losing muscle while you were doing cardio, cause that's what happens. I'm glad to see that you want to take control of your health and not look like a toothpick! No pun intended, but it's very disgusting(not saying you cause I never seen you).

Old 12-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks, Jessica! I'll take a look at those videos. I also might want to try some pilates videos. My mom does it 3 times a week and has seen great results!
I am seeing a nutritionist right now and, since I've been eating more, I also have lost a few lbs. What this means is that I am HYPERmetabolic right now. My body has kicked into high gear for whatever reason and instead of gaining weight, I lost some. I guess I can use that as an excuse to indulge!
Anyway, thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes....

Closed Thread