It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Question Concerned About Nutrients

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have to offer. I am 21/F vegetarian. I am currently taking Adderall XR (amphetamine) for ADHD. I am not supposed to have fruit, juice, vitamin C (not even supplements) or anything acidic while on this medication. Well, seeing I don't eat meat, fruit used to make up a good part of my diet. I am very petite and feel I am losing out on a lot of nutrients. I just don't feel as healthy as I used to. So basically, my diet now only consists of water, carbs, veggies and some dairy. I need the medication to control my symptoms but I don't want to put my nutritional health in jeopardy. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Concerned About Nutrients

barbie,

Since the XR is a time-release, I assume you take it in the morning (or else you'll be awake all night.) It's true that extra dietary acids block some of the absorption and basic products enhance it.
Sine the reaction is ALL in the stomach, why not take it before or after a non-offensive breakast like toast and eggs. The slow-release formulation peaks at about 8 hours and then begins to wane for the rest of the day. I think you will be fine with all the fruit you want by dinnertime and into the evening. By then there's no drug in your stomach to worry about.
Are you taking it for adult ADD?
(It is probably lowering your appetite to near zero- that's the was amphetamines are.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Re: Concerned About Nutrients

Thanks so much for your input! I will try that today, as I wasn't sure how long the drug stayed in your stomach. Yes, I am taking it for adult ADD and I am finding it hard to eat. Food just doesn't seem appetizing anymore, it's like I have to force myself. I've lost 20 lbs in the 3 months I've been taking it, and my doc is kinda concerned about this. By any chance, do you, or anyone you know, take this med for adult add, and have you noticed the same thing?

Closed Thread