It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 06:06 AM   #1

nsmith4366 HB User
What for Salad dressing?

Okay, my diet is whole foods, fruits/veggies, lean chicken, fish - nuts, I'm doing really well - but I can't have concentrated oils - you know any LIQUID oils...especially olive oil. I can have mayo - but don't think thats in line with my unprocessed food lifestyle (or is it...its not really "processed")...anyway, I'm looking for a good fat I can SPREAD that is not "processed" and is not an OIL. I have a bile producing condition and concentrated oils stimulate too much bile production too fast/can't do that - no gallbladder - I take Welchol for that...so I would like to find a healthy spread that is not mayo or concentrated oil. I know olive oil is SO healthy!!! I've tried other oils - nope, no go. What CAN I use? I eat walnuts and avocado, but they don't really FLOW like an oil...any thoughts? I know what healthy fats are, but when I get a salad at a restaurant I have to ask for ranch dressing / and thats processed food.
Any suggestions? Is mayo (real mayo) all that bad to use? Honestly, I CAN'T imagine tuna fish without it!

Old 12-26-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: What for Salad dressing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmith4366
Okay, my diet is whole foods, fruits/veggies, lean chicken, fish - nuts, I'm doing really well - but I can't have concentrated oils - you know any LIQUID oils...especially olive oil. I can have mayo - but don't think thats in line with my unprocessed food lifestyle (or is it...its not really "processed")...anyway, I'm looking for a good fat I can SPREAD that is not "processed" and is not an OIL. I have a bile producing condition and concentrated oils stimulate too much bile production too fast/can't do that - no gallbladder - I take Welchol for that...so I would like to find a healthy spread that is not mayo or concentrated oil. I know olive oil is SO healthy!!! I've tried other oils - nope, no go. What CAN I use? I eat walnuts and avocado, but they don't really FLOW like an oil...any thoughts? I know what healthy fats are, but when I get a salad at a restaurant I have to ask for ranch dressing / and thats processed food.
Any suggestions? Is mayo (real mayo) all that bad to use? Honestly, I CAN'T imagine tuna fish without it!
Annies Naturals has a great selection of dressings that are all natural. Personally, I like the ranch, but you can buy this dressing at health food stores and they are very reasonable prices. You can also google it to find out more. And mayo wouldn't be bad in your case if you keep your other saturated fats in control. It sounds like you limit them so I would say, your cool.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Nansmith,

Look for something called SmartBeat...I think it will answer your prayers.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Lenin,

Is SmartBeat like butter.... consistency-wise?

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-29-2004 at 06:25 PM.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Inactive

shannamarie36 HB User

Olive oil and lemon juice

Old 01-07-2005, 05:48 AM   #6
(male)

CARFAN HB User

You can't have flax oil? It's essential.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zuzu,

SmartBeat is a whipped tub butter-like product (but softer) made from water and canola (and I think some vegetable gums). It has ZERO trans-fats, ZERO saturated fats and has 1/5 the calories and fat of butter or margerine (20kcal per Tbsp).

Taste is good, better than most margerines, and the price is right at Two 8 ounce tubs for a bit more than a buck.

(It's made by the same people who make the higher calorie SmartBalance.)

Old 01-07-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Hi nsmith! Mayonnaise does have oil in it . . . so is it a matter of the quantity?

Anyway, how are you with dairy? If it's okay, you could fool around with yogurt or ricotta as a base . . . add some liquid to the ricotta (like lemon juice), or a little oil if you can tolerate it, then experiment with herbs, garlic, onion, soy sauce, whatever. You also could start with tahini as a base (again, the oil content is relatively high, but if you do okay with nuts it might be okay). Many Japanese restaurants make a miso dressing . . . I've always meant to track down some kind of recipe on it, but haven't yet. One of the recipe sites must have something, though.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Mayo is nothing more than eggs, oil, and salt. Even homemade mayo is made with those ingredients, so you're still eating oil. How about apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or Chinese black vinegar for salads. The balsamic is very mild and more palettable than the others though. Light cream cheese (Neufchatel) does not contain oil and you can get the whipped one in different flavors. (Please, do not get the fat free cream cheese, it's aweful.) Check out Salsa...I could be wrong, but I don't think that has oil either. I think it's just tomatoes, onion, and spices. Jelly/preserves for toast.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lenin,
Thanks for the info..I've seen SmartBalance here in markets on the West coast, but not SmartBeat (yet). Hope they have it here.

If I am only concerned about the fats and not calories (I'm slender and luckily have never had to worry about my weight), is SmartBalance a good butter substitute if I can't find SmartBeat?

Does it taste as good as SmartBeat?

zuzu xx

Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

zuzu,

Check your A&P; my ShopRite has carried SmartBeat for over a year but the A&P JUST started although they've long had the SBalance.

Smart Balance has 4 times as much fat as SmartBeat but the oil is a healthy Canola trans-fat free. I've never tasted the Smart Balance because before SmartBeat I've always given margerines a wide berth, so I can't comment on the taste.

But the low cal-low oil-no saturated fats product caught my eye right away right away and the NO-GUILT of spreading copiously on toast is welcome indeed.(I was judiciously WEIGHING butter before that and suffering with every guilty bite!)

On the mayo:
Mayonnaise is virtually all oil (certainly more than 90% by weight.) The Hellman's jar shows 100 calories per Tbsp of which the entire 100 calories comes from FAT.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-08-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lenin,

No A&P's in my part of the world. I called my local Ralph's Supermarket who tell me they only stock SmartBalance..
Undaunted, I tracked down a phone # for GFA Foods (N.J.) who make the stuff (no mean feat I wanna tell you!...it's not even listed on SmartBalance's website, had to get it off Greenpeace's site!!) and they told me that Ralph's is supposed to stock it and they'll make sure they do.

In the meantime I'll try SmartBalance...

Thanks for your info!
zuzu

Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #13
(male)

vinny1957 HB User

I agree, olive oil is the best with vinager. I read an article that Spanish olive oil is the best tasting for salads. Try making your own, it's fun making your own too.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
(female)

tdot HB User

What if you made your own mayo? I'm sure you could find recipes online.

Closed Thread