It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #1

UnReal1_87 HB User
Question Where do I start?

Hey! I'd like to start eating healthier, and I don't really know where to start. Right now I eat mostly.. well.. junk. lol. TV dinners, microwaveable stuffs, during the school year I tend to eat a fair amount of fast food, since I can't drive all the way home to eat, I drink soda kind of alot. Although I do drink alot of juice (Orange and cran-strawberry), and some water and milk. Probably not as much as I should.

I think the only time I get a somewhat balanced meal is when mom makes dinner, which is maybe three or four times a week, depending on how busy she or other family members are. Then there's usually meat, veggies, sometimes potatoes or rice, and sometimes a salad or fruit. And of course Milk.

So basically, I'd like to know where to start, should I do a whole makeover? Or gradually incorporate things into my diet? Should I have a big or small breakfast? lunch? dinner? What are good snacks? Right now I rarely eat breakfast (rarely) and have usually a microwave meal/hotpocket for lunch, and ditto for dinner if mom's not cooking.

Sorry it's all vague like :P I don't need to lose weight, if anything I should gain a few pounds, but one thing I would like is more energy, I'm tired alot.

Long post is over! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
(female)

Brattybmxgirl HB User
Re: Where do I start?

I would advise you to gradually incorporate more healthy items in your diet, because if you do it right away your body make freak out, go into shock, and you'll have extreme cravings. Try to just have one soda a day, and then increase to none. Have only one "munchie" or snack a day. When you go out and buy food, go to a Subway, or order something more healthy off the menu. And drink water, lots of water.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnReal1_87
Hey! I'd like to start eating healthier, and I don't really know where to start. Right now I eat mostly.. well.. junk. lol. TV dinners, microwaveable stuffs, during the school year I tend to eat a fair amount of fast food, since I can't drive all the way home to eat, I drink soda kind of alot. Although I do drink alot of juice (Orange and cran-strawberry), and some water and milk. Probably not as much as I should.

I think the only time I get a somewhat balanced meal is when mom makes dinner, which is maybe three or four times a week, depending on how busy she or other family members are. Then there's usually meat, veggies, sometimes potatoes or rice, and sometimes a salad or fruit. And of course Milk.

So basically, I'd like to know where to start, should I do a whole makeover? Or gradually incorporate things into my diet? Should I have a big or small breakfast? lunch? dinner? What are good snacks? Right now I rarely eat breakfast (rarely) and have usually a microwave meal/hotpocket for lunch, and ditto for dinner if mom's not cooking.

Sorry it's all vague like :P I don't need to lose weight, if anything I should gain a few pounds, but one thing I would like is more energy, I'm tired alot.

Well, they say it's best to eat 6 small meals through out the day but if its not possible, you can try to pack some healthy snacks with you. I like to go by the good old U.S food pyramid and include 2-3 servings of fruit, 3-4 servings of vegetables, 6-11 servings (small of course) of whole grains, 2-3 servings of calcium (dairy), and 2-3 servings from the meat/beans group. I would choose fresh fruits and veggies, organic 1% milk, some good beans and brown rice, nuts(very healthy essential fatty acids we all need) and lean cuts of meats like chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, and steak once or twice a week. You want to keep your daily food intake at a good balance. IF you eat salads, you can use olive oil and vinegar cause olive oil is high in very good fats too. I would only eat tuna or fish 2x a week due to mercury toxins. If you can't stand fish, I highly recommend a fish oil supplement you can purchase at any heath food store that is distilled and mercury free. Hope this helps!! Oh, and plenty of water and green tea is and excellent way to be healthy cause it has lots of powerful antioxidants in it.

Last edited by Jess75; 12-27-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #4

UnReal1_87 HB User

Is it just green tea that's good? Or any tea? I do have camomile tea sometimes before I go to bed.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Well, all tea is good but green tea has antioxidants that are 20 times more powerful than vitamin C and E. ANd, green tea is high in polyphenols which are real good for you. So, yah, green tea is way better. I would go with celestial seasonings, or Yogi teas which are a little more pricey but better quality cause it comes from (I forget where, I think China )

Last edited by Jess75; 12-27-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:

I think you'll find it more successful if you do it in stages and start reading some books about health so you gradually change your habits. It takes time.

Start off with your liquids. Stop drinking soda, and coffee and start drinking WATER. Start your day off with a big glass of water and drink it throughout the day (I have to force myself - I hate water!!). Also, don't drink water while you eat or half and hour before or after as it dilutes your stomach acids and makes it more difficult for your body to digest your food. Fruit juice is not the greatest thing to consume - especially when its pre-prepared, pasteurized and made from concentrate, or worse, has added sugar. Start to get a taste for herbal or green teas and lessen your fruit juice consumption.

Go back to nature. Start eating foods that resemble nature and start checking ingredients. If something comes in a box with 50 ingredients that you can't pronounce you're not so much eating food as you are something that has been created in a lab - and thats pretty scary and you should avoid it. If you check out some recipe website or recipe books you'll see that you CAN make your favorite foods that taste good and are good for you.

Start preparing. I know its a hassle but eating well requires a little planning. If youre making, for example, soup - try to make a big batch at a time and it'll last in the fridge for almost a week. Soups are about the easiest thing you can make and taste better as the flavors release. Also, think a little about what you want to eat and how you can make it so that its easy to prepare when you're ready to eat. Go to the grocery store often for the freshest ingredients.

Don't eat the same thing all the time. You need a variety of nutrients and you can only get it from a variety of foods. Also, eating different stuff will stop you getting bored. Experiment with different ethnic foods (esp. Japanese) so you can learn about more meal options.

Breakfast is NOT a bagel. Get out of the American mindset of eating a bagel, donut, muffin or cereal for breakfast. That kind of food makes a better dessert than a meal. Instead opt for oatmeal with a tsp of honey and made with rice or soy milk or an omelette with peppers or spinach. Also, consider a japanese breakfast of miso soup with cubes of tofu and broiled fish!! Or maybe tuna on wholegrain toast. Fish is a GREAT breakfast. It has lots of protein and will get your brain working for the day. Also, plain live yoghurt with some fresh berries makes a wonderful breakfast.

De-sweeten & de-salt your tastebuds. Instead of using lots of salt try fresh herbs or sprinkle on some flaked/ground kelp (from healthfood stores) to flavor your food. Try to use less sugar but don't use artificial sweenteners instead - they're just as bad as sugar. Instead just get use to less-sweet items. It IS possible. As a child I used to have about 5 tsp of sugar in my tea and one day I went cold turkey - just cut it out - and at first it was weird and disgusting but within a few day it was fine.

Snack well and often. There is no greater snack than unsalted nuts, seeds or fresh fruit. Walnuts, almonds, cashews or pumpkin/sunflower seeds seeds are great as are blue/red/straw-berries or cherries. You could even snack on edamame (popular in Japanese restaurants) You can buy a whole bag of it for 99 cent from any Japanese mart. All you do it steam/boil it for a few minutes a sprinkle a little salt on it. You can prepare a few cups of it and leave it in the fridge (handy for snacking urges)

Eating well is an ongoing endeavor. Keep reading about food and health and keep the effort up. Don't beat yourself up about lapses, just move on.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Is it just green tea that's good? Or any tea? I do have camomile tea sometimes before I go to bed.
Green tea, camomile, ginger, peppermint, nettle, dandelion....there are MANY to chose from. Pay your local healthfood store a visit, you'll be amazed!!

Closed Thread