It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

zusanna HB User
Exercise before eating breakfast???

I do the Winsdor Pilates in the mornings before I eat breakfast. I always heard that it's best to exercise in the mornings before eating. Is that true? And if so, why exactly?

Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Re: Exercise before eating breakfast???

I tried doing the morning workout and it didn't work for me. My body doesn't get moving until after breakfast, coffee and a few hours after that. I do lift weights twice a day and I do cardio 3 times a week (not counting the days I can find a squash partner ... extra credit exercise!). If you do some research, you will find that there is no agreement on when to exercise. What I have the most information on is what you eat prior to and after you exercise and what exersise you are performing. If you are doing cardio, I believe that you shouldn't eat carbs before doing so because carbs are your quickest form of energy and it's what's first burned off. It's what you eat after cardio that's important. Your body needs to be replenished with electrolytes and water. Not sure what foods should be eaten afterwards. For lifting weights, I have seen mixed suggestions. Protein is a must after working out anf before is good too. I've also read that carbs are good before weightlifting to give you energy while lifting giving you more endurance. After lifting though you have to replenish your muscles with protein and some say amino acids such as glutamine. Personally, I believe it boils down to your goal (build muscle, lose fat, stay where you are but just wanting to stay fit). If your diet is right and you exercise regularly, you can pretty much eat what you want (meaning a proper diet) and the timing doesn't matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Another real concern is that first thing in the morning, your muscles and tendons are tight from a night's inacvtivity. Vertebral discs are slightly swollen from lack of compression.
These two facts make give early workouts a greater risk of injury.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #4
(female)

zusanna HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies! For me mornings are best because I have a 5 month old daughter and I do my exercises while she is still asleep. I'm not sure I would get to any other time during the day. She takes naps but usually very short ones so mornings are really my only option. I used to exercise every once in awhile right before bedtime after my daughter and b/f are asleep but I'm usually so tired by then that I just can't find the energy to. Thanks again for your replies!

Closed Thread